PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching on the AT

bettybadass
06-25-2014, 04:14
As part of my planned Hike I was thinking about geocaching the AT. For those of you that may/ may not know about it, Geocaching is a game/sport/ hobby where players use their GPS to find caches (boxes or other contianers) at specific coordinates. Then they sign the log and replace it as it was found. www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com) is the website. (Although there are others, that is the most popular one).

I am wondering if anyone does this on the trail or is it really too much to do while you are making a long trip. Would it be better suited to shorter trips? Is it really just a burden or is it worth it?

Any thoughts? Thanks all.

HeartFire
06-25-2014, 05:30
There are some right along the trail

Old Hillwalker
06-25-2014, 05:48
As I recall when I was an AT Corridor Monitor, Geocaching was discouraged If not illegal on US Park Service Lands. This would be most of the AT.

Old Hiker
06-25-2014, 06:13
When hiking sections with my Scouts, I found that the time and trouble to geo-cache was too much. Back off, tromp around looking, waste 20-30 minutes, etc.

You also have to carry the GPSr and extra batteries, which adds extra weight.

I DID find one by accident when looking for a camping spot.

Starchild
06-25-2014, 07:55
I found a few while on my thru, all accidentally. One time during a 'bathroom break', after going off trail I found my spot, but there was this area that looked disturbed, I investigated and sure enough there was a cache, so I needed to go find another spot to leave behind my 'cache', which can be quite anoying when one is ready to go, but I just couldn't drop a bomb on that site where people will be looking around.

FarmerChef
06-25-2014, 09:40
I found a few while on my thru, all accidentally. One time during a 'bathroom break', after going off trail I found my spot, but there was this area that looked disturbed, I investigated and sure enough there was a cache, so I needed to go find another spot to leave behind my 'cache', which can be quite anoying when one is ready to go, but I just couldn't drop a bomb on that site where people will be looking around.

And we thank you for it! :) (I'm not a geocacher but appreciate the sentiment all the same).

RockDoc
06-25-2014, 13:50
I did this on a hike from PA to HF afew years ago. There are several geocaches, some easy to find, some tough, one is right smack on the trail at the Dahlgren Chapel. My hiking companion was bemused at first, then annoyed by how much time we wasted looking for some that we couldn't find. When we did find one, it had garbage in it, and our friend forever proclaimed a new name for the activity: Geotrashing. We couldn't argue with him... but there's potential for some fun here if you have the time.

Tipi Walter
06-25-2014, 15:10
I did this on a hike from PA to HF afew years ago. There are several geocaches, some easy to find, some tough, one is right smack on the trail at the Dahlgren Chapel. My hiking companion was bemused at first, then annoyed by how much time we wasted looking for some that we couldn't find. When we did find one, it had garbage in it, and our friend forever proclaimed a new name for the activity: Geotrashing. We couldn't argue with him... but there's potential for some fun here if you have the time.

Geotrashing is apt. I consider this crap trail/woods detritus and treat as any other piece of litter.

ocourse
06-25-2014, 20:42
Geotrashing is apt. I consider this crap trail/woods detritus and treat as any other piece of litter.

What a weird, negative comment! The OP was asking about the pros and cons of geocaching along the A.T. There are lots of geocaches along the trail, and here in VA I have found many. There are lots of caches just off the A.T. corridor in places that can legally have them. If you enjoy the hobby, then yes, it's worth it. I am a section hiker and enjoy my GPSr for various reasons, so the extra weight is worth it. There is an Adroid app that finds nearby caches.

dink
06-25-2014, 20:53
I will be caching on the AT when I do a PA/MD line to Harpers Ferry hike in july...already have all the cache cords loaded into my GPS...cache hunting makes for nice rest stops! I did the same thing last vacation on the AT in PA and loved stopping for a snack and cache hunt...3of my favorite things; hike, eat, cache hunt!

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 20:56
Geotrashing is apt. I consider this crap trail/woods detritus and treat as any other piece of litter.I've wanted to hunt a few of these down. Don't have pictures right now, but not far from my house and while on a walk in a small parcel of woods, I came across what I thought was a kids play ground/fort, some of this stuff is off the hook, and shouldn't be, I'm talkin ceramic gnomes x4, and one whale, a 4ft. high windmill, and x4 lean toos to keep em dry...What the!

now the micro ones you'd never even know they're there, bout the size of a pill capsule some are.

bettybadass
06-26-2014, 07:02

It never fails... When I am out geocaching (on the AT or otherwise) I always end up having to go ;-)

Theosus
06-28-2014, 12:53
I love geocaching... I've been doing it since 2002 (when the closest one to my house was 30 miles away). It has gotten a little out of hand by people just seeking easy numbers-building. At almost every wal-mart and target there will be one under a lamp skirt in the parking lot. Why? The AT is a perfect place for classic geocaches (small tupperware or ammo boxes) well hidden. I've seen a number of them on the geocache map along the AT corridor. I find when I'm backpacking, especially with a group of people, that I tend to NOT geocache, for the reasons mentioned above. Theres the pack to drop, looking around in the brush (often times with a hint like "look in the pine tree" when you're surrounded by a million pine trees), then putting the pack on, and moving along. Groups don't like this sort of scrambling about, and a lot of hikers seem to be in it for the miles, and unless there's a great view or a waterfall. They want to get from X to Y as quickly as possible, and damn stopping for tupperware in a tree stump. I have gotten a few on hikes, usually at convenient rest stops or when I'm on my own. Definitely plan on leaving some extra time for geocaching if I do the AT in sections.

Sarcasm the elf
06-28-2014, 13:38

Tipi, this is one of the rare times that I have to really disagree with you. Geocaching has introduced many thousands of kids to the outdoors who otherwise might not have had the chance. It gets families outside and excersising while working together on a shared hobby. I really do support almost any activity that responsibly introduces kids to hiking and the outdoors and if it involves a few ammo cans or tupperware containers hidden under a rock, then I'm fine with that.

As far as the trash aspect, Geocachers remove a huge amount of garbage from the woods because of their "Cache in trash out" campaign that encourages everyone involved in the hobby to pick up litter while they are searching for cache sites. Caches that are placed are either regularly maintained or regularly checked in on by other cachers. They also should be put in inconspicuous places where they are unlikely to bother anyone who isn't looking for them.

garlic08
06-28-2014, 14:55
...As far as the trash aspect, Geocachers remove a huge amount of garbage from the woods because of their "Cache in trash out" campaign that encourages everyone involved in the hobby to pick up litter while they are searching for cache sites. Caches that are placed are either regularly maintained or regularly checked in on by other cachers. They also should be put in inconspicuous places where they are unlikely to bother anyone who isn't looking for them.

My wife is an avid cacher and always joins a CITO effort and there are quite a few. I've personally seen and helped large groups remove literally tons of trash from public land.

One problem with some caches, and maybe one reason they're banned from some public use areas, is the social trail that might be created because of them. It can get out of hand in some urban parks, like South Mountain in Phoenix. Most are managed pretty well by the land managers and the geocaching.com reviewers.

rocketsocks
06-28-2014, 18:03
I love geocaching... I've been doing it since 2002 (when the closest one to my house was 30 miles away). It has gotten a little out of hand by people just seeking easy numbers-building. At almost every wal-mart and target there will be one under a lamp skirt in the parking lot. Why? The AT is a perfect place for classic geocaches (small tupperware or ammo boxes) well hidden. I've seen a number of them on the geocache map along the AT corridor. I find when I'm backpacking, especially with a group of people, that I tend to NOT geocache, for the reasons mentioned above. Theres the pack to drop, looking around in the brush (often times with a hint like "look in the pine tree" when you're surrounded by a million pine trees), then putting the pack on, and moving along. Groups don't like this sort of scrambling about, and a lot of hikers seem to be in it for the miles, and unless there's a great view or a waterfall. They want to get from X to Y as quickly as possible, and damn stopping for tupperware in a tree stump. I have gotten a few on hikes, usually at convenient rest stops or when I'm on my own. Definitely plan on leaving some extra time for geocaching if I do the AT in sections.I walk a lot, and in a pretty populated area, so the appeal for me was to have a goal to walk to to keep that part of my fitness regime fresh. There are probably about 15 or so of these cashes with my circle of treks, or about 15 miles in either direction.

Tipi, this is one of the rare times that I have to really disagree with you. Geocaching has introduced many thousands of kids to the outdoors who otherwise might not have had the chance. It gets families outside and excersising while working together on a shared hobby. I really do support almost any activity that responsibly introduces kids to hiking and the outdoors and if it involves a few ammo cans or tupperware containers hidden under a rock, then I'm fine with that.

As far as the trash aspect, Geocachers remove a huge amount of garbage from the woods because of their "Cache in trash out" campaign that encourages everyone involved in the hobby to pick up litter while they are searching for cache sites. Caches that are placed are either regularly maintained or regularly checked in on by other cachers. They also should be put in inconspicuous places where they are unlikely to bother anyone who isn't looking for them.I think this is correct, these groups are organized and do pick up trash just like most outdoor enthusieset do and have become stewards of the land as well.

No Directions
06-28-2014, 18:16
Georgia has embraced geocaching in it's state parks. I'm not sure if they allow just anyone to place a cache but many (maybe all) of the state parks have an official cache. I never take anything from a cache but I like to find them and look at what's in them. The official state park caches are pretty nicely stocked.

bettybadass
07-02-2014, 05:19
In PA you have to have a permit. They cost a small fee which you can usually have waived if you promise to CITO an area. The only thing is that PA DCNR makes you move them after 3 years. There are still some on the AT because that is not just state land, alot of it is also private property along the way.

I absolutely love geocaching. It is a game for all people. You can choose to do the ones that are in town (LPC's- or Lamp Pole Caches) or you can hike the woods to find them. They are not just in the USA, but worldwide. I often plan my vacation around where I want to geocache. There is a free app for the iPhone to get people started, although I would recommend something much better as you grow in the game/sport/hobby.

I'm just wondering will finding them slow me down to where I will not enjoy hiking the AT at any great distance......

Ricky&Jack
07-14-2014, 13:23
Georgia is doing it in their state parks.
http://gastateparks.org/HistoryTrail-GeoTour

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/ScreenShot2014-07-14at12437PM_zpsf59870d6.png (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/ScreenShot2014-07-14at12437PM_zpsf59870d6.png.html)

bettybadass
12-28-2015, 20:32
I must admit, that unless there was one in my direct path we didnt stop. And they were at the end of the day when I was dog tired. I will go back over that area and get them this year.

dervari
12-28-2015, 20:56
Geocaching is more of a destination hike for me. I don't generally stop when the hike is the primary activity.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

RockDoc
12-29-2015, 02:03
If anyone ever finds the one in the rock field near the Washington Monument, please let me know. We looked for hours...

I support geocacheing, it's a fun sport, like a treasure hunt!

dervari
12-29-2015, 17:13
If anyone ever finds the one in the rock field near the Washington Monument, please let me know. We looked for hours...

I support geocacheing, it's a fun sport, like a treasure hunt!
I think I may have looked for that one on an off day during a convention.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2015, 17:16
Found a cache just south of bears den inside a big Ars oak tree lol pretty cool

there is another one just south of us-52 bland