PDA

View Full Version : Tromping in the Basin – Skurka Backpacking Fundamentals Trip

Mags
06-25-2014, 14:59
Another backpacking fundamentals course I assisted on with Andrew Skurka.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/14314759669_215e4cdb25.jpg

Trip report here... (http://www.pmags.com/tromping-in-the-basin-skurka-backpacking-fundamentals-trip)

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 16:43
You've found nice way to supplement and balance battery charging with Burnout....good for you. I liked the glacier pillow picture.

Just Bill
06-25-2014, 18:06
That Skurka is a slave driver- you deserve those six minutes back at triple pay:mad:

On a more serious note- How do you deal with being around Andy? With your photographers eye, his photogenic qualities and boyish good looks combined with his love of the outdoors it's gotta be hard to stay straight.

Otherwise looked like a fine time.

Tipi Walter
06-25-2014, 18:21
Thanks for the link. It's funny though---When I do a 7 mile day and set up camp I'm called a "camper" and not a "hiker". Sorry, couldn't resist.

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 18:22
Thanks for the link. It's funny though---When I do a 7 mile day and set up camp I'm called a "camper" and not a "hiker". Sorry, couldn't resist.I'll just add...Often. it just ain't fair. ;)

Dogwood
06-25-2014, 21:23
Were trekking poles mandatory in this Backpacking Fundamentals Trip? :) Looks like everyone had them.

Mags
06-26-2014, 01:35
That Skurka is a slave driver- you deserve those six minutes back at triple pay:mad:

On a more serious note- How do you deal with being around Andy? With your photographers eye, his photogenic qualities and boyish good looks combined with his love of the outdoors it's gotta be hard to stay straight.

Otherwise looked like a fine time.

Yeah, but I'm short, bald and hairy and look like central casting's idea of a dock worker. So it balances out....

Thanks for the link. It's funny though---When I do a 7 mile day and set up camp I'm called a "camper" and not a "hiker". Sorry, couldn't resist.

When it takes all day to **HIKE** due to snow, elevation gain, altitude and postholing (for some) it is hiking.

When you spend all day in your tent reading the 1983 copy of the Encylopedia Britannica (all volumes) you lugged in, it is camping...

re: Poles

Suggested strongly :)

colorado_rob
06-26-2014, 08:19
Thanks for the link. It's funny though---When I do a 7 mile day and set up camp I'm called a "camper" and not a "hiker". Sorry, couldn't resist. Hmmm... you're comparing your hiking/camping style with Skurka's? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Funny though, I've done a 17.5 mile (35 r/t) "hike" myself that took 16 days. Yes, it involved a heck of a lot of just "camping", but wow, the "hiking" was sure intense. And yes, all of our backpacks looked pretty much like yours. Even heavier (lots of technical climbing gear).

Thanks for that link, Mags. Wow, there sure is still a ton of snow left up there.

Mags
06-26-2014, 08:22
Thanks for that link, Mags. Wow, there sure is still a ton of snow left up there.

Yeah..probably 2-3 weeks behind what it would normally be (esp when the trip was booked in November. :D)

150% snow pack tends to do that...

Just Bill
06-26-2014, 11:35
LOL- Well at least dock workers do well with attractive German Blondes, or so I hear.:)
Of the many attractive things about Andy- I think you spoke to the most important reason to admire him.

Raging jealousy aside- a sincere congrats on daring to put all the pieces in place and having a few of them fall as you hoped.
Keep stacking the domino's and they will fall into line for you one of these days.

Dogwood
06-26-2014, 14:12
Did ya hear Mags is coming out with a new line of multi-use clothing that can be worn by time strapped dockworkers who are also hiking enthusiasts? He calls it his Docks to the Rocks Wear. The line includes Army Surplus vests(jacket liners) and Boonie and Sherpa style hats. Rumor has it that his The Magnanimous Italian - Quick & Dirty Italian Style Recipes for the Backcountry Enthusiast, a backcountry Italian cookbook, is in the works too. A calendar featuring his outdoor photos and the Coors Light Girls may be on the horizon as well. I heard Ron Popeil has already signed on with Andrew writing enthusiastic endorsements for several of the recipes in the cookbook.

rocketsocks
06-26-2014, 14:23
Did ya hear Mags is coming out with a new line of multi-use clothing that can be worn by time strapped dockworkers who are also hiking enthusiasts? He calls it his Docks to the Rocks Wear. The line includes Army Surplus vests(jacket liners) and Boonie and Sherpa style hats. Rumor has it that his The Magnanimous Italian - Quick & Dirty Italian Style Recipes for the Backcountry Enthusiast, a backcountry Italian cookbook, is in the works too. A calendar featuring his outdoor photos and the Coors Light Girls may be on the horizon as well. I heard Ron Popeil has already signed on with Andrew writing enthusiastic endorsements for several of the recipes in the cookbook.
Well I don't hear about any of that...But I know he can eat some chicken.

Just Bill
06-26-2014, 14:26
Dirty Italian S
That seems uncalled for.;)

Mags
06-26-2014, 14:45
and the Coors Light Girls may be on the horizon as well.

This all sounds good...except that! Coors..really????? ;)

rocketsocks
06-26-2014, 14:50
St.Pauly's Girls, they got that little umpa umpa thing goin, with the Alpine skirts and suspenders.

Just Bill
06-26-2014, 15:11
This all sounds good...except that! Coors..really????? ;)

You have to admit- it does beat the calendar featuring the Belgian Monks of the Trappist Monastery.
But original Coors at least, it is the Banquet Beer after all and Paulie is real Classie.