PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil Question

DLP
06-25-2014, 15:21
I have noticed that olive oil comes in glass bottles 99% of the time.

Do you take the OOil and put it in a plastic bottle? Recycled water bottle? Gatorade (OOil with just a hint of Blue Frost flavor :p)?

Is there a reason, besides tradition, that OOil comes in glass bottles? Will a plastic bottle dissolve? Is it like parm cheese in a sandwich bag... and the cheese kind of dissolves the bag?

Mobius
06-25-2014, 15:30
My local shop has plastic bottles about half the time but they're always way too big to take on a trip even if they are plastic. I transfer olive oil to smaller bottles (4oz size usually - I don't use a lot of it) for when I might want it on a trip. Usually that's only when I'm 1) baking with it or 2) want it for calories/flavor on a colder weather trip. I've been putting the bottle in a small zip lock as well due to my inability to not make a mess with the stuff after I use it.

perrymk
06-25-2014, 15:33
In my local grocery store olive oil also comes in metal cans (larger sizes) and one brand (don't recall which) comes in fairly light weight plastic bottles.

slbirdnerd
06-25-2014, 15:48
You can order olive oil (and balsamic vinegar) packets at Minimus.biz. Much less messy.

Slo-go'en
06-25-2014, 16:08
You can order olive oil (and balsamic vinegar) packets at Minimus.biz. Much less messy.

I meet someone using these on the trail recently, looks like a good way to go dispite the extra waste (empty packets).

Just Bill
06-25-2014, 17:32
The (correct flavor of plastic) plastic bottle needs the foam gasket in the top to seal- only ding with the plastic I am aware of. Most peanut butter jars have it if you don't know what I mean. The glass is likely more of a marketing/quality of appearance thing.

The laboratory quality Nalgene's don't leak, although somehow they always end up a bit greasy and you double bag like Mobius said.
In Scout's we used to put a balloon over the top before putting the cap on. A condom also makes a good leakproof container.
(Between your machete wielding blow up man friend and your EVOO packed condom you'll probably make some friends!)

Dogwood recommends the http://www.rei.com/product/849491/humangear-gotoob-bottle-3-fl-oz-package-of-3
But he's rich and I'm not- so I haven't tried them yet.:D

Trader Joes/Aldi (same company)- occasionally has smaller bottles or artisan selections in small bottles- keep an eye out when you shop- you may snag one.

WingedMonkey
06-25-2014, 17:34
I have noticed that olive oil comes in glass bottles 99% of the time.

Do you take the OOil and put it in a plastic bottle? Recycled water bottle? Gatorade (OOil with just a hint of Blue Frost flavor :p)?

Is there a reason, besides tradition, that OOil comes in glass bottles? Will a plastic bottle dissolve? Is it like parm cheese in a sandwich bag... and the cheese kind of dissolves the bag?

For true leak-proof I only trust Nalgene for oils. Size of bottle depends on length of trip.

Venchka
06-25-2014, 18:07
The 4 ounce Nalgene flip top squirt bottle (< $2.00) passed a one week inverted no drip or leak test in my kitchen. Good enough for me. The Container Store has a large selection of various small sizes and shapes of Nalgene containers.

Wayne

DLP
06-25-2014, 18:08
Thanks you guys... great suggestions.

jimmyjam
06-25-2014, 19:25
I use small bottles I bought from Lawson Equipment, he currently does not have them, but you can get them at REI.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2014, 20:06
I ordered it from minimus.biz for my JMT hike, since need to squeeze it into bear cannister. Normally I put it inton a small plastic squeeze bottle. For short trips, a 5oz lemon juice bottle works well for me, no leaks.

Ordering the 1/2 oz packets isnt too different from the cost of bulk bottles, surprisingly. With free shipping. But man, thats a lot of little packets for 2 weeks.

dlwills
06-25-2014, 20:16
I was thinking about using coconut oil instead of oil went making up my husband's meals for his three week long section hike. I am thinking it will be less messy. He doesn't care to have to assemble/cook his meals on the trail so I use the freezer bag method. All he has to do is add hot water and wait. Has anyone substituted coconut oil for olive oil in backpacking meals?
Leah

MuddyWaters
06-25-2014, 20:23
The issue with coconut oil I have, is sometimes its a solid, sometimes its a liquid. Above 78F I think, its a liquid, below, its a solid. Creates storage and handling issues. Any non-trans fat oil is OK though, almond oil, sesame, even canola, all do the same thing, provide greasy calories. Olive oil just has a decent taste.

Canola oil is about the cheapest calories you can buy. 3.49 for about 48 oz, which is 11520 cal. Or 3300 cal/$.

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 20:24
I use small bottles I bought from Lawson Equipment, he currently does not have them, but you can get them at REI.
I've had good luck with the small generic bottles I think I got a Dicks...maybe Cooligan brand or somthin...they held liquid.

Dogwood
06-25-2014, 20:50
Actually, I use a 4 oz polyethylene cylinder shaped or 4 oz polyethylene flat oval shaped bottle w/ a tight fitting screw top cap that has many threads on the male end of the bottle and female insides of the cap to store EVOO. http://www.rei.com/search?query=+plastic+storage+bottles Think Camp Suds polyethylene bottles. I don't get any leakage w/ these rather soft plastic bottles w/ caps like these. I get an excellent seal but I do store this bottle in two snack size baggies w/ a rubber band around it. Never had a failure or leakage! These bottles are sold at many outfitters including REI for about $1or less but I'm sure you could use other small bottles. I don't use a hard plastic container that might crack to store EVOO when hiking. Many times I've found small glass bottles of Pompeian Brand Olive Oil in the dollar stores(Dollar General, Dollar Tree, etc) in about 4-5 oz or so sizes very inexpensively(usually about $2). I don't use HumanGear GoToobs for EVOO. http://www.rei.com/search?query=gotoobs I use the GoToobs for food things like nut butters(PB, almond butter, etc), Tahini, etc. I agree with JB though. That's rather expensive at REI for 3 @ 3 oz GoToobs. I've bought GoToobs at a well stocked Harmon"s Beauty Supplies in their traveler sized sections for $3-4 each in the 3 oz size. Alternatively, if the GoToob price isn't inline with you budget try the Coughlans Squeeze Tubes although I personally prefer the GoToobs because the are a bit more compact without the pointy edges of the Coughlans Squeez Tubes. http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2#reviewsTab BTW, I'm not promoting anyone buy these items at REI; I think REI is overpriced on these items! I'm simply using REI's pictures to get ya headed in the right direction.

Venchka
06-26-2014, 21:55
When I asked a nice young lady at The Container Store if a Go Toob would be right for olive oil she picked up the Nalgene dispenser bottles in 2 and 4 ounce sizes and said , "These will work." $2 with tax for the 4 ounce size.
When I got home I filled it half full with canola oil. Closed it. Stood it on the cap (inverted) in a coffee mug (in case the nice lady was wrong) and put it in a cabinet. A week latter I took the mug out and inspected everything. Not one molecule of oil had escaped. I have my oil container.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Malto
06-26-2014, 22:09

This was my approach for my thru and it worked fine. I likely would take 8 oz. bottles on another thru and force myself to eat more with my dinners. I'm not the biggest fan of lowlives oil.

Maui Rhino
06-26-2014, 22:31
For the low budget solution, subway has a 10% EVOO/canola oil blend in 5/16th ounce packets. Good for short trips and free for the asking when you buy a sandwich.

handlebar
06-27-2014, 21:21
I use a little plastic bottle with a screw on lid that once held 260ml of Welch's juice. I keep it in a quart ziploc freezer bag, and, knock wood, have never had a problem. I sometimes find Olive oil in 250ml bottles at the grocery, else I leave the leftover in a hiker box.

BillyGr
06-28-2014, 20:41
I seem to remember seeing Olive Oil in plastic bottles - probably at one of the Dollar type stores? Seems it would make sense as it would be a cheaper bottle to make and transport (than glass) which would be important for those stores.
No idea how well it would work once opened (in terms of leaking or not).

gunner76
06-29-2014, 10:15
Be sure and read the label of that Olive Oil found at the Dollar Tree store. The ones I have seen have been a mixture of Olive oil and other oils. Of course you could buy the bottle, use the oil at home and refill with the real thing.

mr.rainmaker
06-30-2014, 10:27
I have used the pharmacy grade screw top liquid bottles with great success for the past few several years. I usually go to the local CVS or Walgreens and ask if I can have a couple of their largest size bottles. I do put the bottle in a ziplock but so far that has only been for peace of mind.

WingedMonkey
06-30-2014, 12:09
No matter what is used, the concept of "just in case" put it in a Ziploc is a good one. Rather alone or with other foods.

Leaked or spilled oil only takes about a day to oxidize and permanently make what ever nylon or cloth it contacts smell rancid, something very hard to remedy after the fact.

Dogwood
06-30-2014, 12:42
Be sure and read the label of that Olive Oil found at the Dollar Tree store. The ones I have seen have been a mixture of Olive oil and other oils. Of course you could buy the bottle, use the oil at home and refill with the real thing.

Excellent point! EVOO is about twice the price of OO. Decent EVOO costs about 55 cents/oz compared to about 28 cents/oz for OO. Canola(as named in the U.S) or Rapeseed Oil(elsewhere) is about 10 cents/oz and almost always comes from genetically modified Rapeseed crops. The current GM origin of Rapeseed Oil is why you don't see some pushing the health benefits of it as much as they had a few decades ago when less Rapeseed was GM. EVOO is the highest quality OO and to the best of my knowledge is not a GMO. When you see OO and Canola Oil blends like in the Subway packets or elsewhere(some restaurants are doing it too) it's typically about 25 % OO and 75% Canola. The OO used in these blends quite often isn't of the highest quality either. These oil mixes are done largely for economical and marketing reasons ie: to get the olive oil words injected into the product. I definitely notice an immediate "off" distinct taste and texture difference with the canola oil/OO blends.

Venchka
06-30-2014, 22:25
I went shopping at the EVOO for Mrs. Wayne yesterday. What a treat. I'm sure she will share some with me for backpacking.

Sent from somewhere around here.

Grinder
07-03-2014, 12:58
I used a 4 ounce bottle I found this year. before that, I used a 8 ounce green plastic medicine bottle for several years. Neither changed the taste of the oil nor degraded from contact.

About olive oil: EVOO refers to first press, no steam extraction. Most olive oil comes from olives raised in Spain or Africa, even if it says "Made in Italy" True Italian Olive oil (made from olives grown in Italy) is supposed to be darker in color and tastes "better". Or so a friend from the Genoa area told me.

DLP
07-03-2014, 13:16
Ordering the 1/2 oz packets isnt too different from the cost of bulk bottles, surprisingly. With free shipping. But man, thats a lot of little packets for 2 weeks. I haven't compared the cost. That is surprising. Yeah... I have a lot of little packets... oil, mayo, mustard, PB, jelly.

Demeter
07-12-2014, 08:23
I love adding olive oil (and coconut oil and coconut cream) to my FB meals. I made a video on packaging small amounts of oil, nut butters, homemade "goo" for youtube. Granted, you need a seal-a-meal...

http://youtu.be/xe97W0TkExw

for longer hikes, I would probably use a platypus in a large ziplock.

tauwillow
07-12-2014, 12:38
http://www.freundcontainer.com/kautex-square-leak-proof-plastic-bottles-hdpe/p/v3200B01/

I got this bottle for our oil, and we had no leak issues for our entire hike.

Bob55
07-12-2014, 21:10
No matter the container, a tip to not have leaks would be to create a bit of negative pressure in the bottle by squeezing out some air before tightening down. No one needs to create have the heat of the day creating a bit of pressure pushing liquids out.

perrymk
07-19-2014, 05:31
I just came across this online but haven't actually seen it in 3D.

New Italian Military Surplus Olive Oil Canteen (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-italian-military-surplus-olive-oil-canteen?p=e429e&i=589454&ecid=Email-e429e&em_id=kous1878%40bellsouth.net&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e429e)