PDA

View Full Version : The Appalachian Trail Documentary is on Netflix

JumpMaster Blaster
06-25-2014, 20:12
Netflix subscribers- sorry if I'm late with this, but a National Geographic documentary on the AT is available on Netflix for streaming. I just happened to come across it. The name is simply "Appalachian Trail".

And now back to watching...

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 20:15
I watched it about 6 months ago and then again 2 weeks ago.

It was decent. But it got side tracked a bit (the part about acid rain etc).

It was okay, but coulda talked more about the trail

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 20:21
Cool, Thanks for the heads up Jump Master Blaster. And on a different note. Anyone having problems streaming these days, seems all I do anymore is refresh and write reports. :mad:

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 20:24
When I watch online stuff, I usually press 'play' to get it loading. then pause it right away for about 2minutes. that way its loading ahead of me

Malto
06-25-2014, 20:36
Cool, Thanks for the heads up Jump Master Blaster. And on a different note. Anyone having problems streaming these days, seems all I do anymore is refresh and write reports. :mad:

Watching streaming right now, no issue. Could your internet connection be slow?

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 20:48
Watching streaming right now, no issue. Could your internet connection be slow?
It could be that, we were wondering the same thing.

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 20:53
It could be that, we were wondering the same thing.

here.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

I have windstream. its decent for netflix

DLP
06-25-2014, 20:55
There are also AT, PCT and JMT videos on Amazon streaming.

I like Squatch's Fiip Flop Flipping...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dinstant-video&field-keywords=appalachian%20trail

Jennifer Phar Davis on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDdKbjto_8
Haven't watched it... but it is Nat'l Geographic

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 20:57
I like "Mile. Mile and a half" on youtube.

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 21:04
here.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

I have windstream. its decent for netflix
Thanks, what's a (Red -2) (2.72) (ranked 5) mean? don't sound good.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-25-2014, 21:05
I like "Mile. Mile and a half" on youtube.

I saw that too. Man, that trail is a beauty- wide open spaces and vistas. Maybe someday...but I still have to tackle this thing in my "backyard".

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 21:27
Thanks, what's a (Red -2) (2.72) (ranked 5) mean? don't sound good.

that page is monthly. I think that was the average speeds for May.
-2 means it is 5th fastest provider now. It was 3rd fastest the month before... So your netflix speed with comcast has slowed between april/may.

(But I think Netflix just paid comcast a ton of money a few weeks ago to "speed up" the netflix speeds.)

this is what the whole "net neutrality" argument going on right now is about. Big internet providers are "slowing" speeds to certain websites and bullying them into paying to raise the speed for those sites. (comcast was slowing connection to people who downloaded from netflix, til netflix said "heres money. please let them watch us at fast speeds")

**Edit** I know I wasnt being 100% accurate. Just "generally" speaking with example

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 22:31
that page is monthly. I think that was the average speeds for May.
-2 means it is 5th fastest provider now. It was 3rd fastest the month before... So your netflix speed with comcast has slowed between april/may.

(But I think Netflix just paid comcast a ton of money a few weeks ago to "speed up" the netflix speeds.)

this is what the whole "net neutrality" argument going on right now is about. Big internet providers are "slowing" speeds to certain websites and bullying them into paying to raise the speed for those sites. (comcast was slowing connection to people who downloaded from netflix, til netflix said "heres money. please let them watch us at fast speeds")

**Edit** I know I wasnt being 100% accurate. Just "generally" speaking with example
Thanks Ricky, I seem to remember reading somthin about that in the news a while back, thanks for clearin it up for me.

magneto
06-25-2014, 22:42
Please remember that the "Big Internet Providers" are the ones who actually own the physical networks that Netflix wants to use for free to distribute their product.

Unfortunately, building these networks is not free and Netflix sucks up a huge amount of bandwidth - 5 gigs for a feature length film - so why should they get a free ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 23:05
I don't want to make this an argument for/against net neutrality. But since you asked I will just say my point.

Netflix CAN afford to pay providers millions and millions of dollars to "speed up" access.

But how can a new guy get off the ground? How can a start-up or smaller company compete and pay enormous fees?

(I know since we are the watchers, it doesn't affect us as much, but still.....)

magneto
06-25-2014, 23:07
I don't know, but it's not fair to nationalize one person's property to help another, even if the ends seem to justify the means.

Let netflix users pay a fair price for the burden they place on the net.

magneto
06-25-2014, 23:10
Anyway, I'm bored sitting here at SFO waiting for a flight that looks increasingly late as the fog closed in!! :)

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 23:13
I could care less how it works out...I just want my MTV :D charge me for it, but if your gonna charge me for it...provide an uninterrupted service. That's my feelin anyway. :)

magneto
06-25-2014, 23:14
I agree. I'd rather be hiking than watching Netflix anyway!

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 23:16
I agree. I'd rather be hiking than watching Netflix anyway!

true dat...

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 23:19
Im switching houses in the next 2 months.

When I move, I will not be getting cable. I would rather just use netflix and other streaming sites for tv. (I think if I have to actually look for something I want to watch, and spend time downloading it, I'll watch a lot less of it........ as opposed to just sitting on the couch and picking from 400 channels)

Venchka
06-25-2014, 23:22
true dat...

Yo? Yo-Yo.
Grinning

Go Vanderbilt! Tru-Dat.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

magneto
06-25-2014, 23:22
What's interesting about that is I pretty much stopped watching TV. I thought I'd drop cable, since all I really want is high speed Internet, but Verizon prices it so most of the cost is in the Internet service itself. Getting rid of the "triple play" for phone and TV ended up only saving a few percent.

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 23:44

When I move, I will not be getting cable. I would rather just use netflix and other streaming sites for tv. (I think if I have to actually look for something I want to watch, and spend time downloading it, I'll watch a lot less of it........ as opposed to just sitting on the couch and picking from 400 channels)
We were thinking the same thing....

Yo? Yo-Yo.
Grinning

Go Vanderbilt! Tru-Dat.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.I think it keeps me young, to talk like the youngins :D

What's interesting about that is I pretty much stopped watching TV. I thought I'd drop cable, since all I really want is high speed Internet, but Verizon prices it so most of the cost is in the Internet service itself. Getting rid of the "triple play" for phone and TV ended up only saving a few percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...and that's what my wife came up with as well, smart play by the providers...business 101 :cool: Sacre' Bleu

magneto
06-25-2014, 23:54
Years ago, the phone and cable companies saw this coming. They dubbed it "bypass" - predicting that end users would use the Internet to bypass their monopolies. To stop it, they became internet providers. Now TV, phone and Internet all flow through them and their is no "danger" of bypass.

There is also no real completion, either as these same companies use the regulatory system and their own market power to keep competitors out.

So they own it and dictate its use.

rocketsocks
06-26-2014, 00:18
Years ago, the phone and cable companies saw this coming. They dubbed it "bypass" - predicting that end users would use the Internet to bypass their monopolies. To stop it, they became internet providers. Now TV, phone and Internet all flow through them and their is no "danger" of bypass.

There is also no real completion, either as these same companies use the regulatory system and their own market power to keep competitors out.

So they own it and dictate its use.

Yahtzee...I mean monopoly ;)

flemdawg1
06-26-2014, 10:34

Did this 2 years ago. I miss ESPN (college fb, MNF, world cup soccer), but that's about it.

Ricky&Jack
06-26-2014, 10:54
Did this 2 years ago. I miss ESPN (college fb, MNF, world cup soccer), but that's about it.

Did it cut down on your "viewing time?"

I pretty much have the tv on all the time. Im watching when I'm eat, reading, writing, taking a nap etc.

But I'm thinking when I get rid of cable, I'll have to physically start a show/movie every time one ends, if I want to watch something at all.

(my tv is on almost every minute that I am int he house. But I'm guessing it'll be on a lot less after I ditch cable)

Mags
06-26-2014, 12:00
I watched it about 6 months ago and then again 2 weeks ago.

It was decent. But it got side tracked a bit (the part about acid rain etc).

Mark Flagler, of the CDT and AT doc fame, was telling me that the NPS usually requires some form of "educational footage" when filming docs in the NPS units esp for larger commercial endeavors (NatGeo falls under that!))

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that is why the acid rain portion was in the doc.

Ricky&Jack
06-26-2014, 12:03
Mark Flagler, of the CDT and AT doc fame, was telling me that the NPS usually requires some form of "educational footage" when filming docs in the NPS units esp for larger commercial endeavors (NatGeo falls under that!))

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that is why the acid rain portion was in the doc.

Makes sense.

I was wondering why they spent about 7minutes out of 60 "zapping fish" with electricity and collecting rain samples, in a special about the A.T.

Now I know. Thanks

JumpMaster Blaster
06-26-2014, 13:28
Makes sense.

I was wondering why they spent about 7minutes out of 60 "zapping fish" with electricity and collecting rain samples, in a special about the A.T.

Now I know. Thanks

yeah, I was like "what the heck does this have to do with the trail"?

Now that I finished it, I was a little disappointed that they didn't show more of the landscape and scenery. Seems like they blew through it. They could have shown McAfee Knob, the rhododendrons, the shelter system, the major vistas and sub-ranges...

Oh well. Guess that means I need to get out there myself & not rely on Nat Geo to do it for me.

colorado_rob
06-26-2014, 13:39
Decent movie, but my favorite AT movie used to be on Netflix, not anymore though; "Southbounders". It is now for rent on Amazon for $2.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QFSKD4/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=ovgaffiliatebar-20