PDA

View Full Version : Taking my dog hiking with me

survivalisthiker
06-25-2014, 21:48
Is it a good idea to take my dog with me? Would she be a liability or a asset during the hike? She is friendly and is not hostile towards other people or dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 22:36
You mean on the appalachian trail? Or another?

I hike all the time with my husky.... You can do the whole A.T with a dog except for the 2 national parks (smokeys, and then at the end at Baxter in Maine).... Plus about a 10mi stretch in New York, or something like that.

I loooove hiking with my husky

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 22:37
Also, you posted that in the general discussion thread.... We have an actual "dogs on the appalachian trail" thread here, if u want to ask more specific dog questions

Damn Yankee
06-25-2014, 22:49
I hike with my dog all the time and prefer her company over most people but on a long distance hike, your dog may be more of a liability. Most often they have to be leashed and various other reasons. Check out the dog section.

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 23:16
Dog food is a big concern. My husky is 7mo old and weighs 45lbs so far. He should get 60lbs or above. But that means he eats 2 lbs per day. Meaning if I go a week without shopping on a hike, I have to carry 10 lbs just for him....... and then if you finally get to a small gas station the food may be cheap off-brand food.

Plus when you go into a store, you will need to keep hit tied up outside. (Unless you have a friend to watch the dog while you two take turns going inside for your supplies).

If I ever tried a thru, I would bring my dog for the company... but only cause I don't have a constant hiking buddy.

survivalisthiker
06-25-2014, 23:59
Yea I meant on the Appalachian trial and just for a 5 mile hike to a shelter

Ricky&Jack
06-26-2014, 00:09
yeah go for it.

But the shelter is iffy.

If theres no other people there, then feel free to sleep in it with the dog. But if theres other people in the shelter, its kinda 'rude' to even have a well behaved dog in it. But if you have a tent, its no problem. I stay about 50 feet from the shelters in my tent with my dog for privacy reasons

Wise Old Owl
06-26-2014, 00:46
5 - 4- 3- .... omg.

Last Call
06-26-2014, 00:54
Please leave those 4-legged meat grinders at home.....you will be doing the animal a favor, trust me. -Thanks~

Ricky&Jack
06-26-2014, 00:55
won't hurt on a simple 5mile hike they were referencing.

survivalisthiker
06-26-2014, 01:05
I would sleep in a tent if I brought my dog

Ricky&Jack
06-26-2014, 01:09
You'll be fine then.

5miles is more than fine for a dog. My husky has done 18miles in one day. But I think that was pushing his limit.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-26-2014, 05:25
Never fails...geez. To the OP, take your dog, take care of it, and be mindful that other people may not like dogs and act accordingly. The AT is for EVERYONE to enjoy. Just dont forget the extra water.

lostinfflood
06-26-2014, 05:57
I hike at least 5-7 miles each morning with my two dogs in NW New Jersey. It is great exercise for all of us. I can't imagine NOT bringing them with me. I love my dogs but, as evidenced by comments here, not everyone does. That's understandable. So make sure you have them leashed. When I backpack we all sleep in a tent, away from the shelter. To me that is just courteous. I think you will find that a regular practice of hiking with your dog will generate a much stronger bonding with your pet.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2014, 06:45
Is it a good idea to take my dog with me? Would she be a liability or a asset during the hike? She is friendly and is not hostile towards other people or dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkon a thru-hike? no. on a short section hike? sure

MDSection12
06-26-2014, 07:11
on a thru-hike? no. on a short section hike? sure
This... But be mindful, dogs can get themselves into trouble pretty fast in the woods. I've personally had to deal with him rolling in poop (did not appear animal :eek:), sniffing a rattlesnake (nearly bitten, were it not for his quick reflexes) and approaching unfriendly dogs. I've also read about dogs eating illegal coyote poison and getting sick and other such issues. The result for me; as much as I think the dog should get some time off-leash (he's very well behaved) the woods just doesn't seem to be the place for it. Pains me to say that.

Damn Yankee
06-26-2014, 08:07
I hike at least 5-7 miles each morning with my two dogs in NW New Jersey. It is great exercise for all of us. I can't imagine NOT bringing them with me. I love my dogs but, as evidenced by comments here, not everyone does. That's understandable. So make sure you have them leashed. When I backpack we all sleep in a tent, away from the shelter. To me that is just courteous. I think you will find that a regular practice of hiking with your dog will generate a much stronger bonding with your pet.

What an awesome picture, beautiful dog.

stonedflea
10-04-2014, 18:26
dogs can thru-hike just fine as long as you're an awesome partner for it.

Amigi'sLastStand
10-04-2014, 18:46
If you are alone, take your dog for a two-nighter. If you arent, then leave it home.

Traveler
10-05-2014, 10:33
Usually dogs are ok, its the owners that are more the issue. If you use a leash when around other people and their dogs (regardless if other dogs are leashed or not), and be sure your dog responds well to voice command so if it gets off the leash or you have to call it back, that it will do what you need it to, when you need it to, there usually is very little issue.

Unleashed and poorly trained dogs can cause a serious problem. From instances I have personally witnessed many dog owners end up making a case for not bringing them along. For example, wagging tails and walking through a camp or a snack area and eating things, knocking over fresh water when there are no sources near by, chasing other dogs, and perhaps the worst, running down wildlife. This is usually heralded by a distant "don't worry, hes friendly" call, just as your food is dumped on the ground by a dog who believes you are as friendly as it is.

On a more serious levels, there are many instances where dogs cause worse problems as was seen in a recent issue where an unleashed and poorly trained dog was the cause of black bear attack due to an irresponsible owner.

It takes a very long time to trail train a dog. Dogs are different in the forests than in your back yard. The smells are different, there are predators lurking about, anything coming down the trail at you will be a threat to them and put them on guard. They will need food and a fair amount of it, carrying that weight, plus your own may exceed your carry capacity. So theres a lot to think about.

I've no issue with dogs on the trail provided they are leashed or under very strict voice command. I understand the relationship between people and their dogs, but the family dog may not fare well on a trail if they are not conditioned for it, or trained to be on it. I would post your question on the Dogs on the Trail forum and see what responses you may get from some of the owners there. Many of them are pretty well grounded in training and how to hike the trail with dogs and will probably have some good ideas for you.

Rocket Jones
10-05-2014, 16:57
dogs can thru-hike just fine as long as you're an awesome partner for it.

I'd think that dogs are like people, only a small percentage of them would finish a thru hike. Many would injure themselves trying though just to please their human.

stonedflea
10-07-2014, 17:34
Right, which is where the awesome partner thing comes into play... hiking your dog's hike instead of your own. �� my dog loved being outdoors ... what dog wouldn't? I just had to constantly monitor her for issues.