PDA

View Full Version : REI Yosemity 75 Pack

AO2134
06-27-2014, 16:39
Hey guys. This is the pack I plan to buy for upcoming section hikes next year. Any use it? Any alternative recommendations? I am on the budget and REI sales reps suggested this for my budget.

Any thoughts would help! Thanks!

Ricky&Jack
06-27-2014, 18:15
I have no knowledge of the pack.... But just a heads up. It's spelled' YOSEMITE'.

Here it is: http://www.rei.com/product/862870/rei-yosemite-75-pack

Looking at the site, only the medium is 75.... the large is 80. Both are the SAME price.

This is my pack. Teton Outfitter 4600. It's the only pack I have experience in. but I love it, and it was only $92
http://www.tetonsports.com/Backpacks/UltraLight/Outfitter4600.htm#.U63tJKjTwzZ

The one you mentioned DOES look pretty great though.

2 tips tho:
1.... Lookup different video reviews on youtube for specific packs... (You can see how they look on a person, their features, and hear reviews)
2.... Try on packs on stores before buying. (But If you can find it cheaper online, you can order it online. But make sure in store that you like it)

Ricky&Jack
06-27-2014, 18:17
Also, when you go to Mountain Outfitters in the next few weeks or so, check out their selection. They are the professionals. Probably know more about packs than all the REI employees.

Venchka
06-27-2014, 18:24
Unless all of your gear is bulky and huge, you should be able to section hike with the Flash 62 on sale at the REI Outlet...

http://www.rei.com/product/863029/rei-flash-62-pack-mens-special-buy

A friend has the Flash 62. His gear isn't UL or Ultra small. He can get everything he needs short of winter gear in the Flash 62.

The last time I looked, Boreas was having a sale. The Lost Coast 60 is light weight and budget friendly. Depending on your size, you might find a deal. Look at all colors to find your size. If you know your torso length.

http://www.boreasgear.com/collections/packs

Wayne

Venchka
06-27-2014, 18:27
ps: Don't buy a pack first. Assemble most of your gear first. All of the big, bulky items: sleeping bag/quilt, shelter, clothes, etc. Then take all of your gear to a store & find a pack that holds your stuff with room leftover for food & fuel & water.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-27-2014, 18:47
ps: Don't buy a pack first. Assemble most of your gear first. All of the big, bulky items: sleeping bag/quilt, shelter, clothes, etc. Then take all of your gear to a store & find a pack that holds your stuff with room leftover for food & fuel & water.

Wayne

Yeah, that's a really great tip. I didn't do it, so I ended up just grabbing one of the biggest packs I saw, just incase... Now I have so much extra room, that I don't need.

Also, if you take your gear in, don't hesitate and think its "weird". When i showed up to buy my pack in chattanooga at Sportmans Warehouse, there were 2 other people with a box of their gear, trying out packs.

Venchka
06-27-2014, 19:32
And...
At a place like REI, you can grab their stuff off the shelf (tent, bag, sleeping pad, etc. to fill the pack.
Look for a good compression strap system. A well designed pack should collapse to day pack size. My 5,000 cu in pack does that.
Fit first. Then look at other features. Real pockets are Gold in today's market.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
06-27-2014, 19:35
What do you have, Wayne?

Venchka
06-27-2014, 19:46
Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen, medium, with external pockets. 63 liters total.
Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane, medium. 5,000+ cu. in. One of the last Bozeman Terraplanes.
I have never filled either one for trips up to a week. When I retire (or if), I will aim for some 10 day - 2 week trips. I might fill the Terraplane then.

Wayne

Venchka
06-27-2014, 20:05
Smacks his head hard!
Look at Granite Gear packs also if they fit your budget.

Wayne

AO2134
06-28-2014, 13:02
@ Venchka. Thanks for the great advice. I will start will gear then pick pack last. I also love your idea of a collapsible pack that I can make a day pack. I am (and will continue to be) primarily day hiker.

@ Ricky. I've noticed in my 3 trips to REI that they may be pretty knowledgeable about the gear, its specs, etc, but maybe aren't always hikers who have read world application.

I can try to explain why I like a bigger pack: (1) I am very cheap. I will by cheap gear. I've learned that light weight = expensive. Heavier = less expensive. (2) So I rather have too much room then not enough.

But then again, getting a day back and this bigger pack with just end up costing me more money. I guess I could go with my current day hike set up. A drawstring cinch bag with 3-4 waters, 4-5 cliff bars, sawyer filtration, and some extra clothes.

Venchka
06-28-2014, 16:39
Perhaps I should explain my big pack's ability to compress to almost nothing. The bag itself can be cinched down to hold smaller loads firmly. However, the frame, hipbelt, suspension, etc. are still Load Monster size. I reckon the time to do this is in the middle of a longer trip when I wanted to go explore an area but only took essentials for a day. I would not use the Terraplane as a day pack. I have several day packs for those occasions.
As for lighter/less bulk = more money. Not always. My friend bought his REI Flash 62 for under $100 last year right before Christmas. Shop wisely & keep your eyes open for deals on new gear and good used gear here at WhiteBlaze.

Wayne