PDA

View Full Version : Big Feet - shoe options

gyrfalc
06-27-2014, 20:47
Hi, looking for any and all shoe recommendations for a big guy, 16N shoe, typical AT hiking conditions. I have a pair of found-them-in-an-outlet Columbia's that have carried me 400+ miles on the Mason-Dixon and Horse-Shoe trails and are now completely tread smooth, which led me to buy another pair of cheap Columbia's online, and those promptly fell apart on the AT after a few days in Massachusetts. So I'm hesitant to try that again. I tried some Asics running shoes and they didn't last a day on the AT in Pennsylvania (blisters, toe came apart). My choices are very limited, obviously. I know this is a ridiculous shot in the dark, but if anybody has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the tip. I'll pay the price for a good shoe if I can find one. Happy trails everyone!

Venchka
06-27-2014, 21:50
The Limmer Family in New Hampshire. Two choices: Off the shelf if they have your size. Custom built for your feet.

Give LL Bean a try, if they have your size. If they don't fit or wear out you get a replacement or your money back.
Obviously, buying cheap shoes is expensive.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

waywardfool
06-27-2014, 22:18
I am a 14N, 15 in some. Have had good luck with LL Bean. Have the leather Cresta hikers. The pair I use most is Italian, a newer pair I bought later as a backup is made IIRC in phillipines. Probably 1k trail miles and a lot of everday wear on the 'old' pair and still going strong.

Also have a pair of LL Bean mid-high Mountain Treads. They are good, but I need more support with a pack and long miles (very flatfooted too)...did have a quality control issue with first pair and they swapped out with no problem (actually, the shipped the replacement, with instructions to return old pair in same box with UPS return label -- and they didn't put a hold on my credit card).

Also done weill with New Balance, also check Red Wings/Dunham...they have lots of extended sizes, narrows too.

waywardfool
06-27-2014, 22:32
Just looked at LLBean..they stop at 14.

Buddy of mine orders from 2bigfeet.com You might want to check there. Looks like everything 16 is in med width and wider.

And I thought I had it bad.

Damn Yankee
06-28-2014, 10:16
Also look at Sketchers.

gunner76
06-28-2014, 10:58
I have good luck at Shoe Carnival for running shoes and sometimes hiking shoes/trail runners/boots. I wear a size 14 or 15 depending on the manufacture. I have similar problems in my foot is also narrow for its size. I can not order on line due the variations on fit. I have had limited success at REI finding trail runners/boots in my size.

I have fun going into shoe stores and waiting for the clerk to ask if the can help me and then shake their heads when I tell them what size I am looking for.

Right now I am using some Columbia boots in a 15 that fit. Found a second set at another outlet store so I have a spare. When I do find something that fits I try and buy at two pairs. Tried Sketches but they never fit my feet.

Have always had good luck with New Balance in that they tend to have a variety of large size shoes that fit me. Found the exact same New Balance shoes in my size at Shoe carnival at almost half the price than at a New Balance factory outlet store and the NB outlet store was selling factory seconds.

Venchka
06-28-2014, 12:42
Off the shelf Limmer Standard or Mid-Weight to 16 wide.

http://www.limmerboot.com/Standard.html

http://www.limmerboot.com/Midweight.html

Limmer hand made custom built to fit you.

http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

Wayne

jeffmeh
06-28-2014, 23:17
+1 on the Limmers, given your circumstances. Be aware that the standards are very heavy duty. I have a pair custom-made from the 80's, and they are tanks. I have changed my tastes to trail shoes, but I have a much more typical size so far more choices. You may want to consider the lightest of their offerings.

gyrfalc
06-29-2014, 18:23
Hey, thanks for the 2bigfeet.com link. Hadn't seen that one before, and they seem to have more options. Appreciate it!

>And I thought I had it bad.

Makes shopping real easy. "Whaddya got in a 16?" "Nothing." "Ok, thanks... pub around here anywhere?"

waywardfool
06-30-2014, 07:39
Makes shopping real easy. "Whaddya got in a 16?" "Nothing." "Ok, thanks... pub around here anywhere?"

In a dress shoe, I am a 13-AAA. It is nice being able to go into an Allen Edmonds store, have several that I can try on, and leave with a pair in hand. Actually have a CHOICE, and buy them on the spot. They ain't cheap, but I am glad to get any dress shoe that fits, much less off the shelf. (And Allen Edmonds stuff lasts....I got 2 pair that I have worn for 32 years now (got just before I graduated HS). Have had them refurbed a couple of times (AE does that, just send them in).

Venchka
06-30-2014, 09:21
In a dress shoe, I am a 13-AAA. It is nice being able to go into an Allen Edmonds store, have several that I can try on, and leave with a pair in hand. Actually have a CHOICE, and buy them on the spot. They ain't cheap, but I am glad to get any dress shoe that fits, much less off the shelf. (And Allen Edmonds stuff lasts....I got 2 pair that I have worn for 32 years now (got just before I graduated HS). Have had them refurbed a couple of times (AE does that, just send them in).

Allen Edmunds shoes are great. Made in the USA. They fit the definition of "Buy Quality once." As do the Limmer Boots.

Wayne

gyrfalc
06-30-2014, 20:55
Wow, another great tip... I never heard of Allen Edmunds, so thanks for that. For the record, I ordered the Dunham Cloud. I'm not crazy about it - would rather have a breathable mesh, but I'm hoping this is a better quality shoe than the Columbia options. Sectioning south through PA, MD, VA this year... we'll see how they do.