PDA

View Full Version : Muskrat Creek Shelter

Chris10
06-27-2014, 22:14
Is in need of great repair! The place is really run down with the table being rotted and placed to the side of the shelter and some of the benches also knocked down and in disrepair.....

Wildfang
09-01-2015, 00:31
Is in need of great repair! The place is really run down with the table being rotted and placed to the side of the shelter and some of the benches also knocked down and in disrepair.....

They have done some repairs. I was there at the beginning of 2015 and they've done some work. I'm not sure if they're totally done, but it's better than what you're describing. The privy was clean and the table was up and working.

Cfullerton
09-01-2015, 07:49
According to a hiker (that I spoke to yesterday)that was through there last week, the shelter and privy are in terrible shape and suggested that we find somewhere else to stay. She mentioned the mice are overwhelming the place, the privy is leaking and running down the hill and its just in a general state of disrepair. According to her, she was camped near the shelter and the mice were all over her tent. Beware!

Gambit McCrae
09-01-2015, 08:02
That's crazy, I stopped by on black Friday 14' and didn't notice much of an issue, then again, another thru hiking crowd has come thru and I visited in the winter. I do remember it being a welcomed sight to get in out of the snow for a few minutes.

Traveler
09-01-2015, 08:11
One of these days I will read a post that says, "The Mildeau Shelter is falling apart and the picnic table was half rotted away, the privy is a real mess too, with litter and junk all over the place. How can I help make this better, is there someone I can call to volunteer?"

That will be a lovely day.

Chris10
09-13-2015, 21:50
As much disrepair it was in, I didn't notice any mice at the shelter when I made the OP on 6/14. It was probably one of the best nights I had sleep wise, and was the first shelter we had slept in up to that point.

Would love to volunteer to help, but don't live anywhere near the trail. When out, we pick-up other peoples trash, and do our best to practice LNT, but obviously mid hike we didn't have tools, etc. to do any repairs. Completely appreciate those who can and do help though!

slbirdnerd
09-14-2015, 09:01
Hi, Chris! I didn't think it was too bad last year. It was no Long Branch Shelter, for sure, but okay. When I was there the table was under the overhang. No problems with mice when I was there, but being right by the creek it was darned damp and cool. A bear came by in the middle of the night and pooped right where I had brushed my teeth (some distance from the shelter), but didn't bother anyone's food bags (all were hanging but a couple not so well). It had rained and there were a number of salamanders in the privy at night and on the path going up there.

PcolaDawg
09-24-2015, 10:04
Stayed at Muskrat in June and the shelter was packed by the time I arrived. There were also a lot of tent campers set up around the shelter so we set up our two tents a bit further out, but still within sight (and sound) of the shelter. We did not have a mouse problem where we pitched camp.

Since I didn't stay in the shelter I can't speak to it's condition. But I was shocked at all of the trash left at campsites by previous campers. It was possibly the dirtiest camp area I've ever seen while backpacking and I was shocked to see it on the AT. I was hiking with a friend and it was his first night spent on the AT. Kind of embarrassing.

SteelCut
09-24-2015, 10:37
But I was shocked at all of the trash left at campsites by previous campers. It was possibly the dirtiest camp area I've ever seen while backpacking and I was shocked to see it on the AT. I was hiking with a friend and it was his first night spent on the AT. Kind of embarrassing.

I went thru there recently and the amount of trash and food scraps left in the fire pit was horrible.

The privy stunk so bad you could smell it from the shelter. I can't believe that thing sits just a short distance above the creek which serves as the water source.

I moved along and camped near White Oak Stamp.

Christmastree
01-22-2017, 19:21
I stayed at this shelter in February 2016. I had a nice night there because I was alone and because there was plenty of downed limbs for a camp fire. The floor to the shelter has a significant sag. I slept in the low spot in the middle, but if there were other hikers staying in the shelter, they would have all rolled into each other.

-Rush-
01-23-2017, 11:12
In April 2016 it was fine, but I always tent there since there's so many good spots.