PDA

View Full Version : Hydration/ Water bladder set up

JumpMaster Blaster
06-28-2014, 01:49
For those of you who use hydration bladders:

What brand do you use! What size? How do you have it set up in your pack? Do you keep it in the special pouch inside the pack, or do you strap it to the back?

I hate trying to contort myself to retrieve/replace water bottles, so I use a modified Camelbak bottle with a hose, but in trying to cut weight I'm going to look at other options.

Please refrain from getting into a bottles vs bladder debate...I just want to get ideas from bladder users.

HooKooDooKu
06-28-2014, 02:14
My modern backpacks all have a bladder pouch with some hole(s) in the side to run a hose through to the outside.

For mount bike riding, my Camelback with bite valve is indispensable. You can't take your hands off the handle bars for very long on rough terrain, so the system allows you to grab the bite valve, toss it in your mouth, and get your hands back on the handle bars while you keep riding.

However, a modern Camelback includes a large plastic opening for refilling it. So a Platypus Hoser would be a bit lighter and thinner for back-packing.

Both systems use a very thick and relatively heavy hose to prevent it from getting crushed during use.

What I've done for hydration is that I've got a Platypus Hoser that I replaced the thick hose with the medical grade thinner rubbery hose. I use it in conjunction with my Sawer Mini to turn it into a gravity system. I then keep one nalgene bottle handy in a light-weight water pouch that attaches to my belt loop - because I could never reach those water pocket they put on back packs.

I'm not debating bottles vs bladder... I'm probably more on the bottle side at the moment more out of habit than trying to claim it is beter/worst than bladders.

Offshore
06-28-2014, 09:06
I use a 2L and 3L Platypus Big Zip LP (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydration-systems/big-zip-lp/product). The whole top edge of the bladder opens so its easy to fill and more importantly, easy to clean. They are reasonably light at 5.6 and 6 ounces. Its a 2 ounce weight penalty over the more standard Platypus design, but are really solid and easy to clean thoroughly. The top seal is a heavy duty zip lock with a plastic sliding closure that seals the zip lock and serves as the attachment point for the pack's hydration pocket. Never had a leak in over a year's use. Once cleaned, I prop the top sealing surfaces apart with a clothespin and hang it upside down to dry.

Yankytyke
06-28-2014, 12:09
I have an Osprey 2 liter bladder pack with bite valve. As I also use an Osprey backpack it fits perfectly. There is a special pouch in the pack, hole on either side for the hose to leave the pack & it clicks to the frame via a magnet.
previously I used bottles. No comparison at all.

Maui Rhino
06-28-2014, 14:13
My best upgrade to my bladder system was the Source UTA. It is compatible with the Sawyer Squeeze hose connections, and allow me to refill my bladder from any faucet tap or standard water bottle without removing my bladder from my pack. As for bladders, I still use Camelbaks, simply because I have so many of them.

Ricky&Jack
06-28-2014, 14:19
does anyone have a picture of their bladder setup thats on the outside of their pack?

JumpMaster Blaster
06-28-2014, 21:44
2760227603Here's my setup. I initially wanted to put the Platypus on the side pocket, but it wasnt a good fit. Doggone Osprey side pockets are TIGHT. Note the Fred water bottle- its a flat flask shape. First time I saw it I said "now that would be perfect for the weird Osprey pockets". Fits like a glove.

Cro-Mag
06-29-2014, 11:49
Gear: 65L Osprey Atmos and 35L Golite Jam

I've recently been having the same debate with my gear; trying to find a lighter option for a bladder and where to keep the damn thing.
I have a 2L Camelback that is about 5 years old. This version is a lot skinnier than what they make now. Because of this, it is thicker and does not fit well in the pocket inside my pack. I need to unpack my entire bag when I refill water. Call me lazy, but I only like to pack my bag once a day.
On most of my AT hike, I kept it in the side pocket. I would try to counterweight the bladder on the other side of my pack, but obviously the more water, the heavier it is and vice versa. I am only able to keep it inside this pocket because it is skinnier than what they make now.
I also tried it in my stretchy (the outermost pocket on my Osprey pack), but I felt like it pulled me back too much.

I know you said not to talk about bottles, but that is what I am currently using. I am all ears for a lightweight, bladder option.

BuckeyeBill
06-29-2014, 12:57

I've recently been having the same debate with my gear; trying to find a lighter option for a bladder and where to keep the damn thing.
I have a 2L Camelback that is about 5 years old. This version is a lot skinnier than what they make now. Because of this, it is thicker and does not fit well in the pocket inside my pack. I need to unpack my entire bag when I refill water. Call me lazy, but I only like to pack my bag once a day.
On most of my AT hike, I kept it in the side pocket. I would try to counterweight the bladder on the other side of my pack, but obviously the more water, the heavier it is and vice versa. I am only able to keep it inside this pocket because it is skinnier than what they make now.
I also tried it in my stretchy (the outermost pocket on my Osprey pack), but I felt like it pulled me back too much.

I know you said not to talk about bottles, but that is what I am currently using. I am all ears for a lightweight, bladder option.
You didn't say what kind of filter you use, but if your using a Sawyer regular, try this (http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit) for filling your bladder.

Cro-Mag
06-29-2014, 14:05
You didn't say what kind of filter you use, but if your using a Sawyer regular, try this (http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit) for filling your bladder.
I use Aquamira. Thanks for posting that though, I do own a Sawyer, so this might be an option.

Tuxedo
06-29-2014, 14:16
3L Camelback on the back 27608

Ricky&Jack
06-29-2014, 14:38
When you people use your bladder externally, do you notice any problems with the water warming up more than if its on the inside, in the shade?

I have a sewing machine and was thinking of moving the bladders to the outside of my day pack and my big pack.

**Edit: a little off subject, but on your picture tuxedo, how are your poled attached? I'm looking to store mine on the outside, but I don't know how.**

Tuxedo
06-29-2014, 16:10
When you people use your bladder externally, do you notice any problems with the water warming up more than if its on the inside, in the shade?
I never felt water getting warm was worth worrying about. Honestly when using this method I would fill the bladder depended on the next 10mi climb and binge at the water source and carry just enough to make the every 10miles.

**Edit: a little off subject, but on your picture tuxedo, how are your poled attached? I'm looking to store mine on the outside, but I don't know how.**
This backpack was designed for light weight rock climbers and had gears attachments of loops and velcro, Arc'teryx Khamsin 52/62. I ended up taking a knife and cutting most of those loops and straps misc material from the BP for a few less grams leaving the bungie cross straps to hold the bladder. I also only took the pic cause a butterfly had landed on the corner while on break.

rafe
06-29-2014, 20:06
My two Granite Gear packs each have an internal bladder pocket. I use a 3-liter Platypus.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-03-2014, 20:49
After 30+ miles, my Platypus Big Zip LP held up very well in the outer pocket of my pack, but I could tell it was throwing the weight balance off. Whenever I topped off I had to keep readjusting the load lifter straps. I guess theres a tradeoff of balance vs convenience. As much as I was refilling, putting the bladder inside the pack was not feasible.

Nutbrown
07-04-2014, 08:19
I have the 3l platypus. The older ones have a full zip on the top of both the dirty and the clean bag, now the clean bag is sealed permanently. The zip is a pain to close, but I like being able to clean/dry the bags when I get home.

I usually start with the bladder in it's pouch in my Osprey, but after the 1st refill, it either goes on the outside or down inside the mesh between the bag and my back. Ospreys have access by a zipper into this area. Kind of handy.

QHShowoman
07-04-2014, 22:47
I have a Platypus Big Zip LP 3L that I use for hiking/backpacking.

I am currently using a Sawyer mini with a 1L squeeze bag for filtering.

I rigged up the Sawyer Fast Fill adapter to work with the mini by cutting about 2 inches from my hydration hose (it was too long, anyway) and fastening onto the end of the mini and plugging the fast fill connecter into it so that it hooks straight into the connector on the hydration hose. Works like a charm.

My packs are mostly Osprey and I put the bladder inside the hydration sleeve. On the Talon, which I use for dayhikes, the sleeve is external to the pack, under the back panel, which I love. On the Aura, it's inside the main compartment.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-05-2014, 08:37
I currently have a 2L Platypus Hoser that I originally used in the internal hydration pouch but it really was a hassle having to remove half my stuff from my pack to get it out to refill and then pulling the tube through the opening provided. I found that I could slip it between the pack and the vent no problem. Easy in, easy out, no feeding the tube through the little hole. I do have to adjust the load lifters to accommodate it there but does not seem to cause a problem for me. Didn't really seem to heat the water up much and I was able to get better pressure by putting some back pressure on it. Currently using an REI Crestrail 65 pack but sounds like some of the other lines of packs allow you to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-05-2014, 17:11

I know you said not to talk about bottles, but that is what I am currently using. I am all ears for a lightweight, bladder option.This is exactly my situation, almost verbatim, right down to the same gear, conclusion, and wish list.

rhjanes
07-05-2014, 23:09
I've used the Sawyer mini and you can filter right into a hydration hose. Leaving the bladder in the pack. Sawyer also makes some fittings to filter into a bladder in a pack

Sent from my Plactim Clatue communication device

Dogwood
07-06-2014, 11:39
JumpMaster Blaster, two statements that you made stuck out - "I hate trying to contort myself to retrieve/replace water bottles" and "(I'm)trying to cut weight." Addressing those two conditions alone for me too is why I opted for my current system. I don't get into bladder v water bottle debates either. I use both. Up to two 750 ml(.75 Liter) water bottles can easily be attached, removed , and reattached on the outside of my shoulder straps, one on each strap. I find accessing water bottles, especially while on the move, easier, I also think safer, this way compared to contorting to retrieve/replace in a backpack's side pockets while also help to balance my load while also not taking up valuable backpack volume and adding additional wt of something like a somewhat heavier Camelbak bladder. The only time I do use a bladder, which I always carry on multi-day hikes, is a Platypus 2 L(actually holds more than 2.5 Liters!) that folds up to something resembling something smaller than a deck of playing cards and weighs 1.3 oz. The bladder only is used for water hauls which, for say something like an AT hike, shouldn't be that far if you have a good handle on your water logistics! IMHO, water is consistently abundant and RELIABLY DOCUMENTED for a trail like the AT! The filled Platypus bladder is stuffed into an outside side or rear stretchy backpack pocket. This regularly gives me the ability to carry 4L of water which I never do unless I absolutely feel I must!

Theosus
07-07-2014, 21:30
I use a camelback inside my pack. It has a cover with clips that I can put outside the pack, but I keep it inside.

The hose runs outside through the hose slot on my pack. I don't take it out... My water kit is a hose, my sawyer inline, and my "dirty water" bag (a $9 bladder from Walmart). I take my dirty water bag to the source and fill it. Then I plug my hose and sawyer inline into it. I pull the bite valve off the camelback tube, and plug the output of the sawyer into it. The dirty water drains through the filter right into the camelback. I have to hold the bag up, so it sort of looks like I'm giving the backpack an IV or something.

flemdawg1
07-11-2014, 11:35
I use my 2l Cameback or 2l Outdoor Products (Walmart, slightly lighter) on the side pocket like CroMag. The Only part that gets warmer is the 1st mouthful warmed in the tube.

Wülfgang
07-14-2014, 11:40
I currently use the Platypus 3.0 L Big Zip for dayhikes, but if I were to do a long-distance trek I would use this:

http://www.rei.com/product/767110/platypus-hoser-20l-reservoir-70-fl-oz#specsTab

3.5 oz. Carry a 1 L collapsible bladder or a gatorade bottle for an ancillary reservoir, mixing drinks, etc. Good weight-to-volume compromise in my opinion if you want to use a bladder.

Traveler
07-20-2014, 07:40

I have a sewing machine and was thinking of moving the bladders to the outside of my day pack and my big pack.

You can get insulated bladders from Camelbak, not sure about Platypus though, it does keep water from getting too hot in the sun, or freezing in the cold, the trade off is a bit of added weight for the insulating fabric.

I use both of these systems, depending what seasonal pack I take. I am getting more fond of the Platypus though (both of them 3L), the different packs (Osprey) I use have a sleeve for it with a zippered top, which allows it to slide in and out easily. I prefer the bite valve on the Platypus overall,, and firm back on them keep the bladder from "footballing", and seems easier to keep clean overall though it does lack the snap on cover the Camelbak has.

As to the bladder over bottle issue, thats a hard call to make and is probably more a personal call. 3 liters of water will weigh the same, so the question is how do you want to carry it. Bladders tend to like center storage for balance. I have tried external mounting of the bladder using counter weight management, however as the bladder gets lighter the counterweight does not and eventually needs adjustment. I have also found the closer to the body the bladder sits the less I notice the weight overall. I sometimes carry both bladders if I will be in areas that don't have a lot of water options (desert hiking), its a lot of weight but beats running out of water when you need it.

I will sometimes carry a bottle (large mouth type with drinking insert) for cooking or a little extra water beyond the bladder capacity. It can be handy to have to mix up drinks or casual camp use over the bladders. That bottle usually rides outside the pack.

88BlueGT
07-22-2014, 09:18
I use a 2L Platypus bag in a hydration sleeve in my pack along w/ 2 gatorage bottles. I can recommend this setup however make sure that you have a good quality bladder. I had an Evernew 2L bust in my pack not too long ago and I can assure you it was a ****ty situation! Also, It can be a PITA to remove if your bag is packed tight.

Another Kevin
07-22-2014, 18:37
2 litre Camelbak in the pack, 1 litre Nalgene in a Reflectix jacket outside. (The jacketed Nalgene doubles as a thermos if I want a second cup of coffee.) A Gatorade bottle or more likely a one-litre seltzer bottle if I need more water than that.

The hydration pocket in my pack seems like the best place in my pack, since I use a pack liner. If the water leaks, it's at least outside the plastic liner. It'll wet the pack but not my gear. (I hope never to test this!)

In winter, the Camelbak stays home and all water is in Nalgenes. Nalgenes are robust enough not to burst when they freeze, and not to melt when I stand them in a pan of hot water to thaw them out again. All of them have Reflectix jackets (hopefully to keep them unfrozen) and they go in the pack head downward (so that they won't freeze across the mouth of the bottle).