PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Shoes

bangorme
06-28-2014, 19:59
I keeping hearing about people using trail running shoes instead of backpacking boots, but I have yet to find a shoe that actually admits to being suitable for backpacking! Any proven models I might take a look at? I looked at a pair of Salomon Eskape GTX's today, but they said nothing about backpacking in them.

shakey_snake
06-28-2014, 20:50
Lots of manufacturers of trail running shoes will even say "this shoe is not intended for backpacking" or something similar. They're just legally covering themselves. If you load is light enough, a light shoe is a great complimentary piece.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2014, 20:55
I keeping hearing about people using trail running shoes instead of backpacking boots, but I have yet to find a shoe that actually admits to being suitable for backpacking! Any proven models I might take a look at? I looked at a pair of Salomon Eskape GTX's today, but they said nothing about backpacking in them.

expect to go through 5-6 pairs on a thru-hike. don't expect the manufacturer to give you new ones for free every 400 miles like a lot of hikers do

Venchka
06-28-2014, 21:53
That would be the ultimate test of LL Bean's warranty.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

bangorme
06-28-2014, 22:38
That would be the ultimate test of LL Bean's warranty.

That's for sure. Was looking at them at Beans this morning lol. I'm a heavy leather hiking boots man from way back, so am also looking at the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. Saw them today and they seemed pretty light, but nothing like a shoe.

Odd Man Out
06-29-2014, 09:33

The retailers won't tell you this either. Our "best" local backpacking store told me my Keen Voyageurs hiking shoes were not suitable for backpacking. But they did have lots of high-top waterproof shoes to sell me. Cabela's was the same, but at least they had the Keens on sale (hard to find good deals on these). Backpackers are good are re-purposing gear. You won't see Aluminum gutter spikes sold as tent stakes, grease pots sold as UL cooking pots, or V8 juice sold as cans that can be made into great alcohol stove either.

Turk6177
06-29-2014, 09:37
I have worn these through 40+ miles down into the Grand Canyon twice. I found them to be the best trail runners I have tried while hiking. The bottom is very rugged and grippy on rocks. The toe box was roomy. You really need to try on whatever pair of shoes feel the best on your feet because all of our feet are different. Check these out and see what you think. I love them. http://www.dsw.com/shoe/new+balance+810+v2+performance+trail+running+shoe+-+mens?prodId=279971&cm_mmc=CSE_GPS_NewBalance_279971&mr:trackingCode=D0524A86-76DE-E211-86F0-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=39309318104&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=18283950120

bangorme
06-29-2014, 09:58
What I liked about the Salomon shoes I was looking at (sorry, I don't remember the name) was that the soles seems to be as stiff as the Quest's and had a similar pattern on the bottom. I'm not looking to go towards a shoe that is sneaker-like.

Venchka
06-29-2014, 11:03
Merrill, New Balance, Bean, Keen, the list goes on and on, all make suitable hiking footwear. My feet like New Balance and Merrill. I am very pleased with the Merrill Moab Ventilator, low cut and NO Gore -Tex. For hiking I go up a half size or whole size compared to regular shoes. Lots of toe room in particular.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Tuxedo
06-29-2014, 12:43
I hiked in a Nike GTX trail runner for 770mi 27607(Bennington, VA-Rockfish Gap) and a basic trail runner 850mi27606(Rockfish Gap-Springer Mt.) and in the north I did use a Nubuck leather boots but next time would wear basic trail runners too. I advise to buy atleast half size and up to 1.5 size bigger then your normal running shoe size.
GTX pro: you can walk thru shallow puddles all day long and keep feet dry, con: walk thru dew or rain weighted down over growth and feet get drenched in 3feet. I found GTX to work but wouldn't hike in them on the AT basically the only time I found GTX reliable was the day after it rains and puddles are shrinking otherwise your feet get wet and the more air flow thru the shoes the better.

I hiked in gat'rs big, small and none

Ricky&Jack
06-29-2014, 12:47
Try to go larger OR wider if you can.

If you are a 10.0... either get a 10.5 or a 10.0 wide

(But if you are a 10.0 then try for a 10.5wide.)

I tried out 8 pairs in the past 5 weeks. And settled on going up half a size, and wider...... Because when your feet swell, they swell in length, width, and girth