PDA

View Full Version : Golite Hex 3 and MSR Zoid 2

nitegaunt
06-28-2014, 22:32
So, I recently was granted access to my girlfriend's father's gear closet. He doesn't do much backpacking these days and told me I could use anything there and try it out.
I ran across two tents. One is a Golite Hex 3 and the other is the MSR Zoid 2. The Golite seems interesting in design. I looked up vids on it but couldn't find much. Did they just change the name to Shangri-la after a couple of seasons? It really seems like the same tent with some bell and whistles attached.
The MSR seems a little heavy and maybe even cumbersome to set up. Although, I have seen good reviews on it. I am planning to do a few nights near Grayson Highlands soon and am thinking of using one of these tents just for a change of pace.
Does anyone have experience with these and, if so, what do you think?

Venchka
06-28-2014, 23:13
As near as I can tell, the Zoid was a Walrus tent. MSR bought Moss and Walrus and kept some models going for awhile. If it is watertight, use it. Free gear is never heavy.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
06-28-2014, 23:45
Free gear is never heavy..

Best quote I've seen in a while. Made me smirk.

Damn Yankee
06-28-2014, 23:54
The GoLite Hex 3 is a 6 sided tarp(no floor or netting) made from waterproof SilLite nylon and weighs 1lb 12oz. You can support the middle with a trekking pole or line over an overhead tree branch. They stopped making them in "07" looks like a nice shelter with lots of room for one or two people. Good luck with it.

Franco
06-29-2014, 03:53
Yes the Shangri La is the new version of the Hex.
Different material but pretty much the same shelter apart from small details.
It sets up at around 62" so you need to use the original pole of you could lash two trekking poles together but you need to know how to do it correctly because wind can put a lot of stress on the pole tip at the top.
BTW, You Tube has some very complex set up videos for it.
It can be done very simply.
It has an hexagonal shape , so think of a rectangle within the hexagon (one not including the door)
Stake down one side of that rectangle then go to the opposite side and stake that side down making sure that it is parallel to the other and that you leave some slack in the fabric .
Now pull out the two remaining sides , stake them down and then insert the pole.
BTW always have the door panel/s zipped up when erecting a tent.
The idea is explained here :
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1371&selfpath=/167
scroll down to the assembly bit.
The Zoid was one of the Walrus tents and then sold under the MSR label when the two brands merged (along with a couple of other tent brands)
That two hoop design is still popular and done by several brands however not MSR anylonger.

nitegaunt
06-29-2014, 09:42
Yes the Shangri La is the new version of the Hex.
Different material but pretty much the same shelter apart from small details.
It sets up at around 62" so you need to use the original pole of you could lash two trekking poles together but you need to know how to do it correctly because wind can put a lot of stress on the pole tip at the top.
BTW, You Tube has some very complex set up videos for it.
It can be done very simply.
It has an hexagonal shape , so think of a rectangle within the hexagon (one not including the door)
Stake down one side of that rectangle then go to the opposite side and stake that side down making sure that it is parallel to the other and that you leave some slack in the fabric .
Now pull out the two remaining sides , stake them down and then insert the pole.
BTW always have the door panel/s zipped up when erecting a tent.
The idea is explained here :
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1371&selfpath=/167
scroll down to the assembly bit.
The Zoid was one of the Walrus tents and then sold under the MSR label when the two brands merged (along with a couple of other tent brands)
That two hoop design is still popular and done by several brands however not MSR anylonger.

Thanks for the set up info! Yeah, I watched the one complex looking vid. It took that guy about seven minutes to set it up. Your method sounds much easier.

This one has the bug net/floor also. So, it can be set up with just the tarp, just the inner net and floor, or both. It seems pretty versatile. It has the original pole with it, as well.

Anyway, thanks again and I will now go experiment in the yard.

Venchka
06-29-2014, 10:49
The Zoid 2 was an MSR model based on the original Walrus Zoid 1. Claimed weight for the Zoid 2 is 4 pounds. Based on what i have seen in gear over the years, newer is not always better. The Zoid 2 is probably built better than current offerings with a slight weight penalty.
Use it and have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Franco
06-29-2014, 18:03
The MSR Zoid 2 two was a continuation of the Walrus Zoid 2.
The Zoid 1 was a different shelter, obviously the 1 person version...
There was also a Walrus/MSR Zoid 1,5 (again another shelter)

Venchka
06-29-2014, 20:51
The MSR Zoid 2 two was a continuation of the Walrus Zoid 2.
The Zoid 1 was a different shelter, obviously the 1 person version...
There was also a Walrus/MSR Zoid 1,5 (again another shelter)

Thanks. I only found mention of the MSR Zoid 2.

Wayne