PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Whisperlite wind shield

Different Socks
06-28-2014, 23:39
Besides paying full price from MSR or perhaps Campmor, does anyone know where else I may get a new one of these? Does anyone have one they would like to sell? And yes, I did go to the hardware store and all they had was the aluminum pipes fore stoves or dryers--both too small.

LIhikers
06-28-2014, 23:53
There are a few options. Go back to your hardware store and get some aluminum that's at least as high as you need and long as you need, you'll probably have to buy a bigger piece and cut it down. Another option is craft foil from an art supply or crafts store. You can even get good service from ordinary kitchen aluminum foil. Make a piece as long as you need and then fold it in half the long way to get the height you need

LIhikers
06-28-2014, 23:53
Aluminum flashing that first one should be

squeezebox
06-29-2014, 09:51
Aluminum baking sheet might be big enough

rafe
06-29-2014, 10:01
Campmor.com, search on "stove wind screen"

6": http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___13203
8": http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___13204

gunner76
06-29-2014, 10:05
Aluminum flashing that first one should be

Can be found in the roofing section of most big box hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot. I have a roll I use to make windscreens. I use a 3 hole paper punch to make vent holes along the bottom. If I have to make the screen shorter then I use sandpaper to smooth the edges of the part I had to cut.

Toolshed
06-29-2014, 14:38
Flashing is a little heavy - I have used it to make bombproof bullet proof windscreens for winter. I have also folded aluminum foil into 3 layers and used that - a bit lighter but not as sturdy. the other option is to buy some disposable "Lasagna" foil baking pans at the grocery and use the bottoms along with paper clips (or small binder clips). It will take several pan bottoms to get the needed circumference. just clip as many as you need together. The bottoms also cut easy with shears.

OCDave
06-29-2014, 15:10
Perhaps the lightest, cheapest option is a MSR Windscreen. NEW= $15 MSRP w/20% discount when on sale => $12 give or take. Brand new, comes with a heat reflector and a box. This is cheaper than I would ship my 3 year old used one.

Good Luck

OCDave
06-29-2014, 15:12
WOW, just clicked on the Campmor link above. That seems like less than you'd pay for a disposable lasagna pan.