PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags For A Noob

AO2134
06-29-2014, 00:13
Hey all. I could use (a lot) of help selecting a sleeping bag. I am a fairly experienced day hiker. Inexperienced solo overnight hiker. I want to do some more overnight trips including doing sections of AT and BMT.

I anticipate that much of my overnight/section hiking would occur between April and September in Georgia/NC/Tennessee. I will likely be able to plan them for nicer weather in those months, but you never know. I do sleep warm so that is another factor.

I will have an REI Passage 2 tent. I will have a sleeping pad. I don;t know which. But if my previous cheapness is any indication it may be http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad- or http://www.rei.com/product/865152/therm-a-rest-trail-scout-sleeping-pad.

I was looking at one of two bags currently: (1) REI Pod Light which is on sale at rei outlet http://www.rei.com/product/865450/rei-polar-pod-lite-sleeping-bag-long-special-buy#specsTab or (2) Marmot Trestles 30 http://www.rei.com/product/828305/marmot-trestles-30-sleeping-bag#specsTab

Also, I have heard some talk about ultralight weight sleeping bag which uses just a bivy. http://www.rei.com/product/794291/rei-minimalist-bivy-long

Any thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

HooKooDooKu
06-29-2014, 00:46
In my opinion, the sleeping bags you are considering are on the heavy side. But that is the reason they are priced close to $100.

For a bit more money, you can get a much lighter bag. Hear is my personal favorite that FULL price is about $280:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41183
But, as you can see, it is currently on sale for $190... and in the past, I've seen this model sleeping bag closer to the $150 range (I bought two of the previous year's model of this exact bag from campmor, a Large for myself for $160 and a Regular for my son for $150).

Another Kevin
06-29-2014, 08:07
HooKooDooKoo's suggestion is certainly a possibility. For the money, that bag is very light. It might not be quite enough in the "shoulder season" - I prefer a 20-degree bag for three-season hiking, but I'm up here in the North. Where I hike most, I can't usually put my microspikes away until May, and I'm taking them out again as early as October.

The decision that you're really making is down vs. synthetic. Synthetic bags are a bit more forgiving. If down gets wet, it loses all its warmth. The water repellency on modern down bags is pretty good, though. They won't get soaked from the morning dew. Down is more expensive - but goes even lighter than synthetic. It also compacts tighter. Properly stored, it lasts approximately forever. Repeated compression degrades most synthetic fibers, and an older synthetic bag will not have the loft that it did when it was new.

The "not too expensive" 20-degree down bag is what a lot of hikers start out with, and it'll surely give years of faithful service. If I recall correctly, Mags still has the Kelty Cosmic that he started with, and still prefers it to the fancy expensive bags on occasion - and he probably has ten thousand miles under his boots. Typical down starter bags, in addition to the Kelty Cosmic Down that Mags has, are the North Face Furnace and the Sierra Designs Zissou. Most of the outfitters have house-branded clones of these: the REI Radiant, EMS Simmer Down, and so on.

I got back into backpacking about three years ago, after quite a few years away (and didn't have a lot to spend). I picked up an REI Radiant as the previous year's model at a deep discount, and I still have it. I've since added on gear for colder weather, and I'm kind of thinking about getting something much more lightweight for summer, but I can foresee this remaining my "go to" for borderline conditions for quite a while. It's serviceable even in summer. I just unzip it and use it as a quilt, or sleep on top of it. All of these bags are lighter than the two synthetic bags you mentioned in your post, and go 10-15 degrees colder. And for what it's worth, I last spent a night in it about three weeks ago, doing a section of the Devil's Path in the Catskills and tenting near the Mink Hollow shelter. Slept like a rock - on one.

You aren't likely to go wrong with the RidgeRest pad you mentioned. The TrailScout that you pointed to is on the heavy side. I carry a ProLite instead - 15 oz. I like having everything on the inside of my pack, because about a third of my hikes involve at least some bushwhacking, and a pad like the RidgeRest is likely to turn to trail confetti. But on trail, that's not so much of an issue. A lot of the people I go out with have them and like them. In winter, I supplement the ProLite with the infamous blue foam pad. The "trail confetti" problem is a lot less of an issue when you're cruising above all the brush on snowshoes.

REI Passage 2 tent. Five pounds. Good Lord. Five pounds.

I have a similar tent. It serves for going with my daughter, when one of us can carry the tent and the other can take most of the consumables. But five pounds is atrociously heavy. My TarpTent Notch is 1 pound 14 ounces - and that's because I have the model with the solid side panels. The standard model is 1 pound 11 ounces. It's pricier ($275) but the price will get over three pounds off your back. (If you don't use poles, look at the Rainbow or Moment instead. The weight goes up to 2 pounds 2 ounces, still less than half the weight of what you propose.)

I'm not big on bivy bags - I want a proper tent, I'm afraid. Bivy bags are confining, have no place to get your pack and boots out of the weather, and don't ventilate well. They also have condensation problems. So do small tents, but you can usually arrange at least to not have the condensation drip right on your sleeping bag, and it's a lot less of an issue once you've learnt how to let some air circulate in the tent.

bigcranky
06-29-2014, 08:36
It can still get cold in April, sometimes very cold, though as you said you'll be able to choose your weekends for this. If it were me, I would get a down bag rated to 35-40 degrees F, but that REI synthetic bag would be fine, too, and the price is sure attractive.

Everybody starts with a basic synthetic sleeping bag, usually 20F or 30F rated. They are inexpensive enough that you won't mind too much when you replace it in a few years for a better quality down bag (down bags are lighter, compress better, and last significantly longer.) :)

The Ridgerest is a fine choice -- it'll insulate you from the ground, which is the most important function of a pad, and it's reasonably comfortable. You'll carry it strapped to the outside of your pack, as it's pretty big when rolled up. The best part about this pad is that it will never leak or go flat, so you can just throw it down anywhere.

Edit: let me add, no bivy bags. Seriously. Just think for a moment how you will get in and out of that thing when it's pouring rain.

sfdoc
06-29-2014, 08:43
Tent: Kelty Salida; $170 (shop around), albs. Sleeping bag: try Wiggy's. Tough bags, reasonable prices, moderate weight.
Good luck on your hike.

Old Hiker
06-29-2014, 09:00
I have a Trestle - I bought it in Hot Springs to get rid of my 0* when it was WAY too warm at night. My Trestle is great - a bit heavy? Maybe, but it was warm(ish) down to about 25*. I had a t-shirt and synthetic shorts on that night. Every other night I was very comfortable.

Steep and cheap is having a 2 day camping sale: http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/camping May want to check out some of the gear there. Problems are: 2 days. Can't try it on until you buy it. Return postage if you don't like it.

My ALPS 2 pound "untralight" :rolleyes: pad is there as well. I'm thinking about using this next time instead of my closed cell pad, but I'm still ambivalent about leaks. Plus, I can sit on my closed cell pad anytime, anywhere.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2014, 09:14
I agree with the suggestions above and plead with you not to do the bivy unless you are really prepared for some nights that suck - I like then but they have more draw backs that you have not considered. Bivys and Noobs do not do well together.

HooKooDooKu
06-29-2014, 09:33
I prefer a 20-degree bag for three-season hiking.
Because the OP has specified hiking in GA/TN/NC between Apr and Sep, I see no need for a full blown 3 season bag. Based on my experience in GSMNP, a 32º bag is fine during this time period. The only exception might be a cold spell in Apr or Sep when you plan to be at upper altitudes. Otherwise, in GSMNP, I find I only have to change over to my 15º-20º bag if I'm at upper altitudes in October. Otherwise, I've done ok with a 32º into the start of Nov at lower elevations.

But to move upto a 15º/20º bag, you will have to add additional weight.

As an example of the Ultralimina series I pointed out, the weights break down about like this:
15º - 3lbs
32º - 2lbs
45º - 1.5lbs

On of the reasons I recommend this particular 32º bag is because it's s light as carrying a 55º fleece blanket/bag yet still warm enough for the cooler times of year within the OP's time frame.

Otherwise, I would agree that a 20º bag is more of a general purpose 3-season bag.

AO2134
06-29-2014, 11:35
Thanks guys.

The bivy is off the list, forever.

I was leaning towards the therm-a-rest trail scout despite the additional money given some youtube reviews, but it seems you guys prefer the ridgerest. Am i reading you guys right? I do plan to strap it to the bottom of my pack if I do decide to go with it. It is lighter as well. Also, no worries about inability to inflate if the worst should happen. I think I have been convinced.

Recently, I started to add up the weight of the gear I hope to get and became surprised at the likely total weight.

Gear List So Far:

2 person tent: 5 lbs, 5 oz. $150
Sleeping System (pad & bag): 5 lbs $170
Pack: 4 lbs 12 oz. $190
Cocking System: 1 lb 5 oz $70
Water + hydration system + purifies: 5 lbs 12 oz. $ $70
Food (2-3 nights, 3-4 days): 6 lbs
Headlamp + extra batteries 10 oz $40

So just in that alone I have 28 lbs 12 oz.

That doesn't include sunscreen, bug repellant, phone, camera, toiletries, book & map, first-aid kit, knife, camp shoes (crocs), and clothing. I hope I can keep these additional items under 10 lbs. I would probably spend another $400 on this stuff here.

Given comments I received on gear so far, I am pretty sure this is just too damn heavy.

Venchka
06-29-2014, 12:35
I recently saw the original Ridgerest (I own one-it works if you can sleep on 5/8" foam-I can not) at Campmor for $20.
The REI Flash 62 at the REI Outlet is $125 + or -. It may be lighter than the pack you mention.
Every year in May REI has a massive sale. My wife and I cleaned up on Neo Xtherm, REI socks and dry sack, Merrill and Keen shoes for 30% off. Awesome sale.
Why a 2 person tent? Speaking from experience, I outfitted my wife and I for backpacking BEFORE she decided that she was not sleeping on the ground. I suggest you buy a solo tent for you. Make sure you like backpacking. You can always add a double tent later if you need one.
Slow down. You can rent gear first.
Look at LL Bean tents and backpacks. They have a few lightweight items and their warranty is the best. Buy it. Hate it. Refund or exchange. Forever!
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

quasarr
06-29-2014, 13:05
Hi AO, welcome to WB! You already have some good advice. I agree that the Kelty Cosmic is a good starter bag, but the REI one you posted is also fine. (The Marmot seems to be 8oz heavier?) Also I second the Ridge Rest, I have used one for hundreds of nights and it is an excellent pad (and it is made in the USA!) However, you probably don't need a large one. The pad doesn't have to go all the way down to your toes. In fact it can stop a little above your knees without hurting your comfort level. You can bring a piece of plastic to act as a ground cloth, and keep your stuff clean in shelters.

I also agree that you were right to nix the bivy. This is the type of product that people *think* ultralight hikers use, which is why many are turned off to UL. And why not - who would want to sleep in that thing??

May I ask how much of that gear list you have already purchased? I think you can go much lighter without spending more money. Feel free to post the items you are thinking of buying from there as well!

quasarr
06-29-2014, 13:07
PS I forgot to mention that Crocs are actually pretty heavy, one pair can weigh almost a pound! Maybe consider just a pair of plastic flip-flops instead

AO2134
06-29-2014, 14:37
Thanks for the advice quasarr and thanks for the welcome. I will post the gear list. I actually don't have any of it as this point except the cocking set at this point but I do need to start buying things left and right.

2 person tent: 5 lbs, 5 oz. $150 REI Passage 2 Tent on sale for 119.99. http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent I like to stretch out and I am tallish 6 foot so I like the idea of a 2 person and if I bring a friend we can both fit in there in case of an emergency. I will also purchase the footprint. I will likely buy this tomorrow unless I can see a clear better option.
Sleeping System (pad & bag): 5 lbs $150 total: $29.99 for sleeping rad which will be ridgerest. http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad- I am also fairly sold that for my needs and use the Marmot Trestles 30 sleeping bag will be great for $109.00 http://www.rei.com/product/828305/marmot-trestles-30-sleeping-bag
Pack: 4 lbs 12 oz. $190 REI Yosemite-75. http://www.rei.com/product/862870/rei-yosemite-75-pack. The idea behind it is that I will have heavier (cheaper and bigger gear) so I would need/want a bigger pack.
Cocking System: 1 lb 5 oz $70 MSR pocket rocket and GSI outdoor minimalist cookset.
Water + hydration system + purifies: 5 lbs 12 oz. $ $70. I have bought the sawyer water filter. I plan to buy a platypus 2 L. May consider a 3L but likely a 2. Also already have aquamira.
Headlamp + extra batteries 10 oz $40 I bought it at walmart. I know I got get better, longer lasting. But since I've spent the money, I want to use it. I'll carry the extra batteries.

Shoes: Salomon X-ultra Mid GTX. $160.00. http://www.rei.com/product/857157/salomon-x-ultra-mid-gtx-hiking-shoes-mens . Why this shoe vs. a lighter weight trail runner? I plan to get a trail runner for day hikes, but I want something a little more heavy duty for section hikes or 20+ mile day hikes. Also, I have have a lot of weight, and I think this provides me more support for the extra weight at a decent price.

Socks: I have REI merino wool socks and linners. I will probably switch to smartwool if I don't like these socks. I will likely being a lot more socks then the average person. I have sweaty feet. I will be hiking in summer. The shoes I select aren't exactly breatheable. I've never used liners before so I will test it out, but I plan to bring with me at least 3 socks and 2 linners.

Treeking Polls: Haven't even looked into it yet. Suggestions welcomed, especially those for a very tight budget. I think by my selections above you can get a feel for it.

Clothes: I haven't gotten into this either. As a day hiker, I would just have gym shorts, cotton socks, a cotton t, and reg running shoes. After my recent 30 mile hike and the subsequent pain (knee last for 2 days), right foot pain (couldn't curl my toes) for almost 1 1/2 weeks, god awful blisters (blood and regular), I decided maybe proper footwear may be in order. Any recommendations for clothes on a budget is welcome.

Thanks again guys!

Camp Shoes: I think you gave me a good reason for Flip-flops. Certainly for the AT section hike. The idea of crocs really come into play in water crossings.

HooKooDooKu
06-29-2014, 14:39
PS I forgot to mention that Crocs are actually pretty heavy, one pair can weigh almost a pound! Maybe consider just a pair of plastic flip-flops instead
Walmart often has some light-weight shoes for about $10. They cover your toes like crocs, so they are great for water crossing shoes to avoid getting your toes jammed between some rocks.

AO2134
06-29-2014, 14:44
Walmart often has some light-weight shoes for about $10. They cover your toes like crocs, so they are great for water crossing shoes to avoid getting your toes jammed between some rocks.

Could you please post a link? I am trying to look for it in the meantime. I am going to walmart in a few for groceries. I may go pick them up if I can find it.

HooKooDooKu
06-29-2014, 15:00
Could you please post a link? I am trying to look for it in the meantime. I am going to walmart in a few for groceries. I may go pick them up if I can find it.
Can't find them on line... so you would have to just go look in your local walmart.

But they look something like this style:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MENS-PERFORMANCE-CLOSED-TOE-SANDAL/34209752

But it is solid black and made out of a molded piece of plastic like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-UB-Casual-EVA-Clog/22572983

I paid around $10, I think the last time I saw them in the store earlier this season, they might have been about $12. $15 would be too much.

AO2134
06-29-2014, 15:04
Thank you. I will go take a look today!

Venchka
06-29-2014, 15:29
You should learn to shop better.
Did you think about renting gear before buying? The economy needs you spending money. You might benefit more from spending wisely.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=Ridgerest

Wayne

quasarr
06-29-2014, 18:39
I think you will find that lighter gear is often not as expensive as you think, and sometimes cheaper! :) For example, you can buy a blue foam pad from WalMart for $12, that is pretty similar in weight to the Ridge Rest. The infamous K-Mart Grease Pot weighs almost nothing and costs $9. You can make an alcohol stove out of a cat food can that will cost less than $1 and weigh less than an ounce. (again, alcohol stoves have disadvantages verses a canister, but it is definitely something to consider if you are on a budget!)

http://www.amazon.com/Stanco-Non-Stick-Grease-Strainer-Black/dp/B000MVTIOQ

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

Shedding pounds is cheap, it's the ounces that get expensive :) I also encourage you to check out the smaller "cottage" manufacturers. Here is a great list you can browse. Some of these (like Zpacks and Western Mountaineering) are high-end, super light, and super expensive. But others, like Six Moons, make gear similar in price to REI but much lighter. And many are made in the USA.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12378/cottage-backpacking-gear-directory/

Anyway, here are some recommendations for what you posted. This is my opinion and everyone's philosophy is different, but most people are happier with a lighter load.

Tent: There are lighter options out there, for example the Lunar Duo is a 2-person tent for $160 and 3.5 pounds. However the Lunar Duo sets up with trekking poles, so if you don't use poles it probably isn't the best choice.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/six_moon_designs_lunar_duo_tent_review.html#.U7CH2 _mSyQA

Pack: Plenty of packs are in the 3lb range. I think a big pack just encourages you to fill it up with more stuff ;) Since you are doing summer trips you won't need a lot of bulky warm clothes. And you can also strap your sleeping pad to the outside. REI is having a sale right now on the Flash 62 for $129, and it weighs a pound less than the Yosemite!

http://www.rei.com/product/863029/rei-flash-62-pack-mens-special-buy#specsTab

Cooking: I talked about this a little bit already, but if you use the Fancy Feast home made stove (which is very easy to make) and the K-Mart grease pot, you could spend as little as $10 on this.

Extra batteries: This is unnecessary. Unless you are night hiking you will not run out of batteries in just a few days. Leave them at home!

Clothes: One area where people really go overboard buying expensive things :) As much as I love a shiny new jacket, you may be able to get away with some clothes you already have. Do you have a fleece pullover? A nylon gym shirt? (Don't use cotton!) Do you have a rain jacket already? I suggest the O2 jacket, which is less than 8oz and only $31!!

http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-hooded-jacket/

Footwear: The cotton socks may have been part of the problem, since cotton hangs on to water your sweaty feet will just be chafing against your wet cotton socks the whole time. If you get a pair of "waterproof" shoes and wear smart wool socks with liners ... you will sweat a LOT! Remember, if it is "waterproof" it will also prevent water from leaving the shoes, meaning your feet will be soaked with your own sweat instead! Trail runners with one pair of socks will breathe much better. Unfortunately this is a very personalized topic so it's hard to give someone advice on what will be best.

Anyway sorry for the long dissertation, I have a lot of opinions so that's that :)

Venchka
06-29-2014, 19:51
I mentioned the Flash 62 in the beginning. Thanks for confirming it.
There is also good, low mileage used gear posted all day long here on WhiteBlaze.
My turn to debunk the "high end gear from companies like Western Mountaineering is expensive". Buy quality once. Cheap gear that doesn't do the job or falls apart in a heartbeat is expensive. Like most people I had to learn this lesson the hard way.
I bought my first quality down bag in the early 1970s. It was not the most expensive on the market. It was several times more than a synthetic bag of that era. I was on a tight budget. I picked the lightest and least expensive 3 season bag in the REI catalog. I have used the bag in the Rockies in September & October. On a couple of occasions I have worn all my clothes and survived. My daughter has used the bag in North Carolina and my granddaughter is using the bag as I type in the Grayson Highlands of Virginia. When I get it back from her I will send it to the folks at Rainy Pass who make it good as again. 40+ years of occasional use and still perfectly useable. If I had cheaped out in the beginning I would have bought several bags by now for money. This has been the most economical bag I could have purchased when I bought. The same goes for the backpack I bought at the same time and is still in service. Quality products are economical. Inferior products are expensive.
End of sermon.

Wayne

Venchka
06-29-2014, 19:54
Ps: Cooking has 2 os.

Wayne

AO2134
06-29-2014, 21:44
@ HooKooDooKu. I was able to find them. I'd say they are less than 1/2 a lb and 10$ at walmart. I am very happy. Thank you!!!

@ quasarr & Venchka Please do not apologize for the length or the sermon. Your recommendations are helpful. It is great hearing how other hikers think about gear since I have never have. I will go to REI tomorrow and look into the REI flash 62. I will just pick up gear from REI and see if it can hold most of what I think I will use. It would also save me money so I love that.

Thanks for the rain gear recommendation as well. I think that may work for me.

After I get my use of the pocket rocket, I will try out the Fancy feat homemade stove. That was amazing. Serious ingenuity. I love that.

@ Venchka. I understand what you are saying. I say the same thing to my father every times he buys the inexpensive item and has to replace it a couple of months later. You get what you pay for. I get that. I just can't all at once spend that kind of money. My hope is this gear gets me passed this beginner stage and they start to wear out at different stages so that I can stagger my bigger purchases.

Venchka
06-29-2014, 22:09
You will find a new model of the Flash 62 in the stores. Last years model is on sale in the Online Outlet only. Unless, your store has an one from last year in stock. That can happen. Either way, the new one and the old one are very similar.
If you are careful, the gear won't wear out. You can sell it. Get some of your money back.
Good luck.

Wayne

quasarr
06-30-2014, 05:22
Also, WB's own Mags has written some great blog posts for beginners about cheap gear and how to lighten up

http://www.pmags.com/lightweight-backpacking-101

http://www.pmags.com/dirt-bagging

ams212001
06-30-2014, 06:15
SMD skyscape scout runs for $125 new.

AO2134
06-30-2014, 10:54
SMD skyscape scout runs for $125 new.

Thanks ams212001. Do you use it/have you used it? That is a 3 lbs savings for approximately the same price.

Anything I should know before purchasing? Dependability? Condensation as it is 1 wall? How well it holds up in rain and wind?

HooKooDooKu
06-30-2014, 12:07
I was leaning towards the therm-a-rest trail scout despite the additional money given some youtube reviews, but it seems you guys prefer the ridgerest. Am i reading you guys right? I do plan to strap it to the bottom of my pack if I do decide to go with it. It is lighter as well. Also, no worries about inability to inflate if the worst should happen. I think I have been convinced.

First of all, do not concern yourself with an inflatable deflating. Inflatable pads seldom get punctures, and usually come with a repair kit. But the other reason to not worry about them deflating is because you're talking about hiking in warmer weather where the loss of a sleeping pad creates a discomfort as opposed to a danger for loss of its insulation properties as needed in winter.

The RidgeRest is a good quality and reliable sleeping pad. But it is also very thin. If you are light weight and a back sleeper, that might be just fine. But if you've put on a few pounds since your school days or if you are a side or stomach sleeper, you might find the RidgeRest to not be comfortable enough and need something thicker.

The Trail Scout is a step up from the RidgeRest, but it's still a low-end sleeping pad.

I personally have a problem recommending any sleeping pad except for something in the class of the Therm-a-rest NeoAir XLite series. These are great pads because they are light, thick, and easy to pack, and pack small.

A RidgeRest, as you've already realized, pretty much has to be lashed onto your pack. Something like the Trail Scout packs small enough to fit inside your pack, but it's still a relatively bulky item. If you spend twice the money, you could move up to the Therm-a-rest ProLite. It has about the same weight as the NeoAir and packs about as small (with some effort). But even the ProLite is only as thick as the Trail Scout and is tough to pack as small as the NeoAir (but can be... if you get a ProLite Regular, it can be packed into a Threrm-a-rest ProLite stuff sag size small).

So the NeoAir wins all around for me because it is thick, light, easy to pack, and packs small. But obviously the price is huge for someone starting out. I think the price is worth it... though I must admit I at least waited until REI had one of their 20% of a single item sale before I splurged on a NeoAir.

RidgeRest - 0.62" thick, weights 14oz, packs down to 8"x20", Full Retail $30
Trail Scout - 1" thick, weights 20oz, packs down to 5.4"x11", Full Retail $50
ProLite - 1" thick, weights 16oz, packs down to 4.1"x11", Full Retail $100
NeoAir - 2.5" thick, weights 12oz, packs down to 4"x9", Full Retail $160
(All specs for size 'regular' i.e. 20"x72")

So this is a place where you pretty much get what you pay for. The price curve above is pretty step, but each step is a significant improvement in over all performance.
Because I would want to point you towards the NeoAir if you plan to hike with any regularity, you might want to simply start with something even cheaper than the RidgeRest. There's the Blue Foam Walmart pad for less than $15, and there are some other similar pads available at Acadamey Sports in the range of $10-$20. This is a place where I'm sure you're going to eventually need to step up and buy something more expensive, you might want to start as cheap as possible. The only down side is that if you find you're not liking camping because of difficulty sleeping, you won't know what you really need until you spend some money.

Venchka
06-30-2014, 13:10
Last month the REI Annual Anniversary Surprise: Thermarest NeoAir pads were 30% off. Big grin. I pounced on a NeoAir Xtherm Large. I have spent close to 2 weeks on it in my apartment. A winner. The REI store in Houston was full of similar 30% items: REI clothing, REI & Smartwool socks, Keen & Merrill footwear, Exped Air Pillow, Mountain House dinners, a lot of backpacks, etc. Everything that I had been waiting to purchase with the 1 item 20% off coupon was on sale in unlimited quantities for 30% off. I had trouble finding something to use my 20% coupon on.

In one of my previous posts to this thread I said that not everyone, myself included, can sleep on a thin foam pad. I own a Ridgerest and a generic blue foam CCF pad. I let my grandkids use them. I may use the blue foam pad under the Xtherm if I ever get out in real winter conditions.

The REI Flash is a budget friendly pad. Higher R-value & similar weight as the Ridgerest. Grab it on sale someday. http://www.rei.com/product/845300/rei-flash-insulated-air-sleeping-pad#specsTab

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-30-2014, 16:24
6 tips for picking the perfect sleeping-bag.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/6-things-to-know-about-picking-the-perfect-sleeping-bag/

AO2134
06-30-2014, 16:45
I tried on the REI Flash 62 on the store. I really, really liked it, but I am concerned if all my gear/clothes etc will fit in there. I had 25ish lbs in the pack. My gear will be quite a bit heavier than that. Likely 7-10 lbs heavier. I don't think this pack could safely handle it and stand the test of time (whereas the Yosemite I think will last me forever). However, there is at least a 1lb 12 oz difference, which is huge. REI Flash is 10 $ more expensive, which is negligible. The REI flash at the outlet is a M and I am a large. So no saving there.

I felt slightly less comfortable with the REI Yosemite 75, but I also had much more weight in it. I had 35lbs in it easily. I could have added more if I needed to. And I anticipate my gear etc. to be in that ballpark.

I may get the REI passege 1 http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent (4 lbs 6 oz) OR Skyscape - Scout http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html (< 3 lbs).

If i get the skyscape, I can likely get away with the REI Flash 62. That would bring my big three total weight to 4 lbs 5 oz for sleeping back Trestles 30 + Ridgerest, which I bought today, REI Flash 62 (3 lbs), and Skyscape scout (<3 lbs). A respectable 10 lbs 5 oz for big three and fairly cheap. I am comfortable with REI Flash 62 as a heavy duty day back as well. But for most day hikes, I don't even bring a pack or just a simple cinch gym pack with water and cliff bars.

If I get the Passage 1 tent and Yosemite, I am in more trouble. That would bring my big three total weight to 4 lbs 5 oz for sleeping back Trestles 30 + Ridgerest, which I bought today, REI Yosemite 75 (4 lbs 12 oz), and REI Passage 1 (4 lbs 5 oz). A respectable 10 lbs 5 oz for big three and fairly cheap. 13 lbs 6 oz. That would be 3 additional lbs.

I may go with the passage 1 + REI Flash 62, which would be 11 lbs 10 oz.

I don't like the idea of the skyscape scout because of the return policy on a tent I have never seen, whereas with REI i have a year.

I don't know. I am just thinking out loud at this point.

Ricky&Jack
06-30-2014, 16:48
Don't forget that you can store your pad and sleeping bag on the outside..... So that doesn't need to fit inside. (Not sure if you were fitting your pack with that in it or not. But just a reminder)

HooKooDooKu
06-30-2014, 17:39
Don't forget that you can store your pad and sleeping bag on the outside..... So that doesn't need to fit inside. (Not sure if you were fitting your pack with that in it or not. But just a reminder)
I have the REI Flash (Large) and usually start a weekend hike with about 30 to 35 lbs (includes food and water).

Because I was used to a Kelty Super Tioga with several lash points, I had difficulty trying to figure out how to get everything in the REI Flash. You really only have one good lash point (the straps under the bag). Otherwise, there's just a couple of loops around the margins of the pack to connect a few lightweight items (like water/camp shoes... perhaps rig something to deal with a light weight pad like the RidgeLine).

What I found I had to do was to lash my tent to the bottom of the pack, then insert my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in the bottom of the pack. Then pack my cloths around the sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Cooking equipment and food bag then sat on top of all that. 1st aid and Toiletry bags go in the top cover pocket, misc items in the large pocket on the back, and stuff that needs air to dry (water filter, dew rag) stuffed behind the mesh.

BTW, the way I make my pack effectively water proof (eliminating the need for a rain cover) by placing the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and cloths inside of a scent-free trash compactor bag. Close up the bag and place stuff that can get wet (cook pot) onto top the the bag and top it off with my water-proof food bag. Individual items that must stay dry (1st aid kit and toilet paper) are then inside there own ziplock bags.

AO2134
06-30-2014, 17:45
I planned to strap the Ridgerest to the bottom of my pack if I get the Flash 62, but I need to make some modifications to the pack because it will not fit in the straps they provide in the pack. Maybe I should go with the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad as it may be smaller. They didn't have it in my local REI. I may also consider putting the tent in the brain of the bag. If I can do both of these, I think the Flash 62 may be a good bet even with the passage 1 tent.

Another Kevin
06-30-2014, 17:53
HooKooDooKu is right about pads.

Note that the XYZ-Mart blue foam will always be useful. I have one that I carry as a second pad in winter to add insulation to my ProLite. And I have one that's pretty torn up that I've turned into bits and pieces of foam for other "make your own" projects. For example, one piece is a "sit pad" for day trips in cold or wet weather. Another small square sits under the little fan on my desktop at work, because otherwise the vibration from the fan is deafening.

AO2134
06-30-2014, 17:58
I have the REI Flash (Large) and usually start a weekend hike with about 30 to 35 lbs (includes food and water).

Because I was used to a Kelty Super Tioga with several lash points, I had difficulty trying to figure out how to get everything in the REI Flash. You really only have one good lash point (the straps under the bag). Otherwise, there's just a couple of loops around the margins of the pack to connect a few lightweight items (like water/camp shoes... perhaps rig something to deal with a light weight pad like the RidgeLine).

What I found I had to do was to lash my tent to the bottom of the pack, then insert my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in the bottom of the pack. Then pack my cloths around the sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Cooking equipment and food bag then sat on top of all that. 1st aid and Toiletry bags go in the top cover pocket, misc items in the large pocket on the back, and stuff that needs air to dry (water filter, dew rag) stuffed behind the mesh.

BTW, the way I make my pack effectively water proof (eliminating the need for a rain cover) by placing the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and cloths inside of a scent-free trash compactor bag. Close up the bag and place stuff that can get wet (cook pot) onto top the the bag and top it off with my water-proof food bag. Individual items that must stay dry (1st aid kit and toilet paper) are then inside there own ziplock bags.

Thanks. That makes me feel better about buying the REI Flash 62. It says its 25-45lbs, but I would never put 45 lbs in there. I was hoping it could do mid-30's. 33-38 lbs.

Pack, sleeping system, and tent = 11 lbs 5 oz. Food and Water 11 lbs. Misc. 10-12 lbs. I think I have a plan here.

HooKooDooKu
06-30-2014, 18:18
I planned to strap the Ridgerest to the bottom of my pack if I get the Flash 62...
I would save the bottom straps for something heavier.
If I were using a RidgeRest with the Flash, I would find a convenient way use a pair of lash straps to keep the RidgeRest rolled up, and then clip the straps to either a pair of clip loops on the side or the pair of ax loops on the bottom.

AO2134
06-30-2014, 18:35
I would save the bottom straps for something heavier.
If I were using a RidgeRest with the Flash, I would find a convenient way use a pair of lash straps to keep the RidgeRest rolled up, and then clip the straps to either a pair of clip loops on the side or the pair of ax loops on the bottom.

Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad may fit a little more easily across the front of that pack. I haven't actually seen it to confirm with its size, but I think that block may fit inside there easier with two cross laces. Tent below. I like it. Tomorrow, I will test it out and see how it feels with an additional 25 lbs on back.

Venchka
06-30-2014, 22:10
I recently saw the original Ridgerest (I own one-it works if you can sleep on 5/8" foam-I can not) at Campmor for $20.
The REI Flash 62 at the REI Outlet is $125 + or -. It may be lighter than the pack you mention.
Every year in May REI has a massive sale. My wife and I cleaned up on Neo Xtherm, REI socks and dry sack, Merrill and Keen shoes for 30% off. Awesome sale.
Why a 2 person tent? Speaking from experience, I outfitted my wife and I for backpacking BEFORE she decided that she was not sleeping on the ground. I suggest you buy a solo tent for you. Make sure you like backpacking. You can always add a double tent later if you need one.
Slow down. You can rent gear first.
Look at LL Bean tents and backpacks. They have a few lightweight items and their warranty is the best. Buy it. Hate it. Refund or exchange. Forever!
Good luck.

Wayne

One more time:

Go to REI OUTLET.com
Search: Flash 62
Bingo! Up pops the 2013 model Flash 62. $129.
Got it?

Wayne

Venchka
06-30-2014, 22:15
I am very sorry for what I just said. I just saw the medium large problem.
Given a bit of practice you will figure out packing. Go to the Packs section of the Gear forum and read what Another Kevin and I put in similar sized packs.

Wayne

AO2134
06-30-2014, 22:37
@ Venchka.

Lol. No worries man. I understand I am asking a lot of questions. (and I am being a little bit of an askwhore).

Without a doubt, the REI Flash 62 is the pack for me. Attach tent below, ridgerest to outside and I am good to go. Only question left is which tent.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2014, 00:18
Only question left is which tent.

Assuming you're looking for a solo tent, I'm going to recommend the Kelty Salida 2 because:
1. Lighter than the REI Passage 2
2. You can currently get it for as little as $120 (http://www.campsaver.com/salida-2-tent-2-person-3-season)
3. It's easy to use
4. Should be very durable

I've liked my Kelty tents. I don't own the Salida, but I do own the Gunnison 3.1 for when I take both my boys camping with me. My 1st tent was Kelty's predecessor to the Gunnison 2. I've found Kelty tents to be strong and reliable and very reasonably priced (especially when you can find sales like this (http://www.campsaver.com/salida-2-tent-2-person-3-season)).

The only down side to a Kelty tent is that they are a little on the heavy side. But that's because they use heavier materials than lighter tents.

As an example, I recently splurged and bought myself a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (because I found a good after Christmas clearance). My Copper Spur has very similar dimensions to the Salida. But where the Salida weights about 4.5lbs, the Copper Spur only weights about 3.1 lbs.

However, this is one place where more expensive does not totally equate to better (at least not like the sleeping pad comparison I showed earlier). I spend MORE time setting up my Copper Spur UL2 than I do setting up my larger Kelty Gunnison 3. The reason is because the Copper Spur material is so thin, I'm much more afraid of something puncturing the floor of the tent, so I spend much more time making sure every little pokey thing is out from under the Copper Spur.

AO2134
07-01-2014, 01:12
I am strongly considering it. 13 oz of savings there. Someone did point out it is better to get what you can step into and see then to get something on the internet and hope it works out. I love to double doors with REI Passage 2. 2 vestibules. But it is a lot of extra weight.

I just thought REI sells the Kelty Salida. Tomorrow, I may just go there and pitch it and compare notes. Passage 2 looks a little bigger in all respects, especially the worst of all: heavier. almost 1 lb.

If i get the passage 2, current weight would be 12 lbs 5 oz for pack, sleeping system, and tent. If I get the Kelty Salida 11 lbs 8 oz. Fairly respectable for the amount I have paid.

One way or the other, tomorrow I will have my tent.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Honestly, it has been a great help. It has saved at least 2 lbs of my back/shoulders/hips/knees. Possibly 3 lbs if I go with Kelty Salida.

Thanks again.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2014, 01:49
I just thought REI sells the Kelty Salida.
Oh, they sell it... it's just that it is currently at the full retail price of $170 there.

Campmor shows the full retail price of $170, but they have it on sale for $143.
Campsaver linked above shows a full retail price of $160 with a sales price of $120. I don't know in this particular instance, but the $120 tent might be 2013 model clearance. I know that's how I got a killer deal on my Kelty Gunnison 3.1 at Backcountry.com... the Gunnison 3.2 models had come out, and they were clearancing the 3.1. I picked it up a normally $200 tent for something like $130.

Venchka
07-01-2014, 07:44
Is renting a tent, any tent, not an option? While you save money for a TarpTent Notch, Moment, StratoSpire?
Are you still bound and determined to start with a 2 person tent? If I knew then what I know now (backpacking solo or with friends who had 2 person tents) I would have started with a solo tent.

Wayne

AO2134
07-01-2014, 08:10
Oh, they sell it... it's just that it is currently at the full retail price of $170 there.

Campmor shows the full retail price of $170, but they have it on sale for $143.
Campsaver linked above shows a full retail price of $160 with a sales price of $120.

Oh I had no intent to buy it from REI. My intention was to pitch it there and compare the two and see if I like it. I understand it may not be the exact one I am buying as you indicated it may be an older version. But at least that way I can get an indication of what I am buying before I purchase it online.

rafe
07-01-2014, 08:18
Gear List So Far:

2 person tent: 5 lbs, 5 oz. $150
Sleeping System (pad & bag): 5 lbs $170
Pack: 4 lbs 12 oz. $190
Cocking System: 1 lb 5 oz $70
Water + hydration system + purifies: 5 lbs 12 oz. $ $70
Headlamp + extra batteries 10 oz $40

Oh gosh no. Waay too heavy. Aim for something like this:

Solo tent: 2 - 3 lbs.
1.5 person tent: 3 lbs.
Pack: 2 - 3 lbs.
Cooking: 1 - 1.5 lb (fuel, stove, pot, cup, spoon, windscreen)
40-45 degree down bag: 1.25 - 1.5 lb.
Hydration system: platy bag, soda bottle: 0.25 lb.
Water filter 1 lb. (or skip it and use Aqua Mira)
Headlamp: 2 oz.

The list I've written is still a far cry from ultralight but is easy to achieve and not too expensive. Check those cottage vendors listed earlier. Check discount outfits, sales, last years' models, thrift stores, Amazon, eBay. You will not find what you need at malls. Probably not at Costco or WalMart either. Most everything they sell is for "road camping" and not for backpacking.

Even REI and EMS (sad to say) are only so-so for lightweight gear for serious backpacking -- but a step up toward the real thing. Campmor is a godsend, excellent stuff there, if you know what you want.

You'll find what you need at a proper "outfitter" but any brick-and-mortar store will charge premium $$. So the challenge is to identify what you want and find it elsewhere at a price you're willing to pay.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2014, 10:56
Oh gosh no. Waay too heavy. Aim for something like this:...
Well, we've already got some of those weights down...
Kelty Salida 2 Tent -about 4lbs (you might be able to lighten up changing tent pegs, and only taking enough to stake out the tent, not be ready for a hurricane).
REI Flash 62 Pack (Large) 3lbs2oz $130

But I must say that it seems like you can do a lot better than 5lbs for a sleep system for $170.
As an example, you could get the Mountain Hardware 35º Lamina (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41233) for $140 at 2lbs4oz and a RidgeRest (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___55189) for $30 at 14oz (total of 3lbs 2oz) (not my 1st recommendation as I really like the UltraLamina series myself)

A good water filter is the Sawyer Mini... it weights about 3oz to 5oz (if you limit yourself to the enclosed 16oz "dirty water bag") and you can get that at Walmart for $20 (one of the few TRUE back packing pieces of gear you can actually get a Walmart). A note about Sawyer water filters and Platypus bags... Sawyer used standard "bottle" threads (so a typical water bottle can screw onto the back of the Sawyer filters). But Platypus went their own way and uses screw threads that are at a different angle... so it is difficult to get a good seal trying to screw a platypus onto a Sawyer filter (you're only going to get about 3/4 of a turn, likely not enough for a good seal).

Cooking should be able to get well under 1.5 lbs. There's lots of titanium pots and bowls that weight 2oz to 5oz and cost about $20 (for a small uncovered bowl) to $60. A stove like the pocket rocket is about 3oz, and a fuel canister is about 8oz full (smaller sizes good for 4 to 7 days). Add a spoon and that's about 1lb or less (most of it being the fuel).

AO2134
07-01-2014, 12:29
The pack was a huge savings. Almost 2 full lbs. REI flash 62 is 3 lbs. Current sleeping system is 4 lbs 2 oz. I wish I had seen the Mountain Hardware 35 Lamina before I bought the marmot trestles 30. It would be $40 more, but likely worth the 1lb in savings. That would be one lb for 400+ yearly miles of hiking. Eh, I got at REI yesterday. I don't want to be that guy but maybe I will return it. I only paid $100.

My big three current weight is 11 lbs 10 oz. Substantially better than my previous 15 lbs 1 oz. I know I could go lighter, but I like this for weight to price ratio. I really like the idea of keeping pack with me in tent on solo hikes and the ability to bring a second person if i need to. I'll pay while hiking on the trail for the extra comfort. If it ever becomes overbearing, I could always get the SMD Skyscape scout and save another almost 2 lbs. on tent. Bringing my big three to under 10 lbs easily. And at the price of $125, it wont hurt my wallet too much either.

AO2134
07-01-2014, 12:39
Given all the time everyone has invested in helping me with this (and I am very, very grateful and my back, shoulders, traps, hips, knees, feet, and overall state of mind will be grateful in the future), I will post the final decisions. I looked into the Mountain Hardware 35 Lamina. If it had a compression sack I would definitely buy it today. I am going to look into a compression sack that fits that bag.

BTW: Old sleeping bag (only used it in car camping and for a 2 night trip in glacier national park) vs. new sleeping bag. I can't really tell a difference. . .27627

AO2134
07-01-2014, 13:42
Footprint will add ~8 oz to weights mentioned above. Do you use them? They make sense from a logical point of a view, but do they work in practice? Keep tent bottom safer? Drier?

Venchka
07-01-2014, 13:56
Given all the time everyone has invested in helping me with this (and I am very, very grateful and my back, shoulders, traps, hips, knees, feet, and overall state of mind will be grateful in the future), I will post the final decisions. I looked into the Mountain Hardware 35 Lamina. If it had a compression sack I would definitely buy it today. I am going to look into a compression sack that fits that bag.

BTW: Old sleeping bag (only used it in car camping and for a 2 night trip in glacier national park) vs. new sleeping bag. I can't really tell a difference. . .27627

If you buy the Lamina, and many have praised it for it's small compressed size, WAIT to buy a compression sack until you find out if you really need it. Again, the Lamina bags (all temp. ratings) get high marks for small packed size.

Meanwhile, the good folks at Backcountry Gear (first rate in my book-happy customer) are having a sleeping bag sale.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/sleeping-bag-sale.html

Wayne

Another Kevin
07-01-2014, 14:00
(1) I'm not a big fan of compression sacks. Gear that's stuffed more loosely conforms to the shape of the pack and the gear around it. You can use the pack's compression straps to cinch it down. I use a pack liner (a trash compactor bag does nicely), so I don't even bag my extra clothing. I just pack it in around everything else and then compress the pack.

(2) You totally don't need a two-person tent in warmer weather. (In winter, when you may be holed up for a while and need to spread things out, it may be a different story. Or if you are sharing the tent with a big dog.)

Bringing the pack into the vestibule of a one-person tent is no problem. By the time that my bear bag is hung, my sleeping stuff is unpacked, and my extra clothing (the rain suit, at the very least) is in the sleeping bag stuff sack to serve as a pillow, there's next to nothing left in the pack. All that's left are the first aid kit, knife, personal locator beacon, smart phone, map/compass/guidebook, camera, notebook, and a small amount of "it's none of your business what else is in my pack." All of that stuff -what I think of as "the small hard things" - fits in the 'brain' of the pack, or in the plastic grocery sack that I use for a liner in that compartment, and can go by my head or feet. The pack itself can sit in the pack cover (to keep it dry) and lean against a pole in the vestibule. In winter, it can go under me for a little bit of extra insulation. Here's my typical warm weather setup, on a sunny morning after a night of intermittent heavy rain.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/14278773134_b910043572.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/14278773134/)
Campsite (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/14278773134/) by ke9tv (https://www.flickr.com/people/ke9tv/), on Flickr

By the way, that's a TarpTent Notch in the picture. At 30 ounces (the stock model is 27 ounces, but I have the half-solid side panels because I also use it in snow), it's less than half the weight of that Kelty Salida. Of course, that doesn't count the weight of my poles, but I'd be bringing them whatever tent I used. Note that the Notch has an equally big vestibule on the other side that I'm not even using in the picture. In a winter setup, that's where my crampon bag goes, and my ice axe and snowshoes in the unlikely event that they're not being used as tent stakes. Because generally it's a good idea to keep ice-encrusted sharp pointy things away from the rest of your gear.

Oh, and I didn't do all that damage to the campsite! It's a designated and marked site, and I was arriving at nightfall so I didn't want the hassle of scoping out a decent stealth site.

I don't use a footprint with the Notch. Henry says he almost never gets a Notch back for floor repair/replacement. In the picture above, I'm pitched on clay, and there was intermediate heavy rain. I stayed dry, buttoned up inside.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2014, 14:29
Footprint will add ~8 oz to weights mentioned above. Do you use them? They make sense from a logical point of a view, but do they work in practice? Keep tent bottom safer? Drier?
There have been entire threads here on WB on the subject of tent footprints (should I/Shouldn't I/what to use).

Some people see them as a complete waste.
Some people see them as a way to better protect the bottom of the tent.
Some people want at least a moisture barrier under the tent.
Some people like them to keep the bottom of the tent and the tent stuff sack clean (because you can fold the dirty side of the ground cloth in on itself).

From there, you then get into what to use:
Some simply use a thin piece of plastic and throw it away and get a new one with each trip.
Some like to use the Window Films because it's about as heavy as a thin piece of plastic but much stronger.
Those with access to spare pieces of Tyvek like to use that as a ground cloth.
A cheap Walmart tarp can easily be cut to the size needed.
Of course every tent manufacture will also sell you a ground cloth to fit there tents (many of these are configured such that you can setup just the ground cloth and the fly to make a shelter without the weight of the tent).

My personal suggestion, based on hiking in the GSMNP, where most tent sites are bare dirt, is to at least use something to keep the bottom of your tent clean.
If you're going to use the Kelty Salida 2, the tents been around for a while, and I don't see it going anywhere soon. So you could always decide to buy a Salida floor today, tomorrow, next week, or next year. Save a few bucks for now and just use what ever is cheapest for you for the moment. If you have an old tarp lying around you're not using, cut that up to fit. If not, go buy a cheap plastic drop cloth and cut that up to fit. Perhap there's a house getting built in your neighborhood where you can get a piece of leftover Tyvek (or other house wrap) to use. In any case, you're supposed to cut the ground cloth just a little smaller than the tent so that rain doesn't get on the ground cloth an run between the tent and ground sheet.

Once you've tried a cheap ground cloth, you can better decide if you want something more substantial later.

linus72
07-02-2014, 15:54
Cheap $8 flip flops are easy camp shoes, help your feet expand after a long day of hiking, and sit in my outer mesh pocket as getting wet is no issue. My sawyer filter mini was cheap, is the best out there for the money and size, and weighs next to nothing. I have been loving my REI flash pad (around 1lbs), Flash 45 pack (around 2lbs), alps mountaineering diamondback 30 (2.14 lbs but compresses real nice and fits in the bottom of my pack) and my wife and I split the weight of our passage 2, which 5 with footprint or not is a GREAT, strong, easy to set up tent with double doors and double vestibules. If and when I go solo I will invest in a nice 1-person light tent under 3 lbs but splitting the weight on the Passage 2 is totally manageable. Even with my pocketrocket and canister, a couple days food, cookset (a cheap stanley one with 2 cups from Sports Authority worth the extra weight as it and the cups are bulletproof it seems), knife, maps, TP, first aid, raincoat (yep, an REI lightweight one) and pack cover I am still amazed at how lightweight and manageable it all was. Boy has technology improved things since my scouting days. I don't have the strongest core or back ever but never did i feel back or shoulder pain. Why everything at REI you may wonder? Dividend, extremely knowledgeable and passionate staff, and their return policy... i have trekking poles so i think for future solo 1-man tent i will go for one that uses the poles as stakes. The filter and a data sheet also helps you not need to carry as much water so i usually keep 1 liter of filtered on me and ration it between reliable water sources and filter. not doing big miles each day yet so dont need to carry much more than that to save tons of time. its an excuse to rest for a few minutes and enjoy the experience. get some ditty sacks to organize your gear, its SO much easier when all your stuff is organized and you can just grab the bag you want. throw in a plastic garbage bag or two to pack out trash when you have the opp. Only thing i gave serious thought to in the warm summer weather was a travel sak vs the 30 degree bag, which would save a pound and some space and i wont overheat when sleeping, but thats when i have $70 just floating around.

AO2134
07-02-2014, 16:48
Thank you everyone for your help. Especially those who said get the REI Flash 62. 2 lbs of savings my friends. 2 lbs. :)