PDA

View Full Version : What size tarp for hammock?

ktest
06-29-2014, 00:54
I'm looking to switch to using a hammock full time. I usually take my dog (who will NOT sleep in the hammock with me), so I want the option to stake one side against the ground to provide her with wind blockage while still having enough width to give me rain coverage. She usually sleeps under me on a camp pad.

What size tarp should I get? I think I want a plain old rectangular tarp. I use the Grand Trunk nano which is 9' long.

chiefduffy
06-29-2014, 06:30
I would recommend the Jacks R Better 11 x 10 tarp. Medium price for a large tarp, weighs in at about 19 oz. Its large enough to give you many pitch options, and it is wide enough to put one side right on the ground for your dog. You cant go wrong with JRB products.

bigcranky
06-29-2014, 08:43
I agree, I think you'll want one of the really big hamock tents with "doors." The JRB option looks good. I have a Maccat tarp that I really love -- it's incredibly well made -- and he makes a big 4-season tarp (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/4_season_tarps.php) that would work well.

I never had great luck trying to use a flat tarp over my hammock - I could never get it tight all the way around. The catenary cut makes a difference.

kayak karl
06-29-2014, 09:27
the way most people hang a 11-10 tarp, doors or not, is about 2 feet from ground. this will give you wind protection , but not the dog. i hang mine 6"-8" from ground. you will need to practically crawl in and sitting in hammock 12" off ground gets some getting used to, but the dog will be happy. i have a WB superfly and a Zpack 11'- 9' that both work great for this. had the JRB 11-10, but upgraded to cuben.

MDSection12
06-29-2014, 10:52
The Warbonnet Superfly is the obvious choice, in my mind. It's huge, light, priced reasonably and pitches in a million different ways. I've slept on the ground under my hammock (with my wife in the hammock) a few times and it's actually quite nice. If it was good enough for me I'm sure it will suffice for the dog.

ktest
06-30-2014, 08:55
Thanks guys. We'll be giving a 10'x11' a try for a little while.

Ricky&Jack
06-30-2014, 11:55
do you guys find that if you hang low enough to make your tarp each the ground, it generally keeps you waker at night?

ktest
07-08-2014, 12:18
About to place a custom order from Borah Gear. Is there a huge advantage of a 10x11 over a 10x10? Will I miss the extra foot? I'll probably be pitching it in a Baker-hut configuration most of the time.

Ewker
07-08-2014, 12:23
I use a WildernessLogics Bullfrog with panel pulls. the tarp is 12'x10' and provides plenty of coverage. I use a bridge hammock so I need the extra coverage

Country Roads
08-19-2014, 11:52
With the size hammock you are using, you could use an 8 x 10 tarp, and rig up a poncho on one side for your pup. I have done that before. It gets double duty out of the poncho and the pup is happy too.
If money is no object, the winter palace from Hammock Gear would be great (I don't have one, but have seen them); If money is important, the JRB tarps or the WB superfly are both good (I do have a superfly, but not the JRB) I also use a home made 8 x 10 Argon Silnylon tarp, which is all good. My main, go to tarp is a z-packs cuben tarp with doors.

Wülfgang
08-19-2014, 12:16
The Warbonnet Superfly is the obvious choice, in my mind. It's huge, light, priced reasonably and pitches in a million different ways. I've slept on the ground under my hammock (with my wife in the hammock) a few times and it's actually quite nice. If it was good enough for me I'm sure it will suffice for the dog.

^ I second this. I have it, it's a great tarp. Huge coverage, and can be pitched as a ground tarp with trekking poles. It IS a little on the heavy side at 1 lb 3 oz, but with hammocks you need a big tarp and with that comes a weight penalty.

Take it from me, DO NOT use a small asym tarp for your hammock!! You will spend 15-20 minutes screwing around with it trying to get the perfect pitch, and they are useless in winds or blowing rain. Tempting because they are so light, but not worth it. Field experience!!