PDA

View Full Version : Moosilauke and Glencliff Hostel 6/27, 6/28/14

rafe
06-29-2014, 07:15
Quick shout out and thanks to Uncle Walt, Legion and Nectar, this season's caretakers at the Glencliff Hostel -- and to the nobos, sobos, flip-floppers and section hikers I met there Friday evening and yesterday. "Tater" and I shared a shuttle to the Rte. 112 trailhead and had a nice hike over Moosilauke back to the hostel. Gorgeous weather! I'm beginning to think MapMan's data (about the movement of the northbound "wave") might be a bit off -- I was expecting to find the place empty but it was hoppin' and they say they've had a substantial traffic of northbounders come through already. Ranger, Clothesline and Tater were all trying to figure out which summit they might be on for July 4.

I had this dumb plan to spend the night at Beaver Brook Shelter but quickly revised that into a day trip over the mountain... it's only 10 miles, and with a day pack, less than 7 hours. Better yet I spotted my peak-bagging day-hiking partner at the trailhead as our shuttle from Glencliff arrived, so we climbed up the falls (Beaver Brook) as a threesome. Even in the crowded Whites if you hike often enough, you'll meet people you know.

Jeff
06-29-2014, 13:33
The NOBO's are now a steady stream here in Manchester, VT....but the bubble is still south of Vermont. Always a pleasure to host the "earlybirds" !!!!

Driver8
06-30-2014, 13:47
Quick shout out and thanks to Uncle Walt, Legion and Nectar, this season's caretakers at the Glencliff Hostel ...

Is this Hikers Welcome? Or does Glencliff have two hostels? HW was a very welcome site a year ago after a long, hard traverse of Moosilauke. The outdoor shower was the best!

rafe
06-30-2014, 14:26
Is this Hikers Welcome? Or does Glencliff have two hostels? HW was a very welcome site a year ago after a long, hard traverse of Moosilauke. The outdoor shower was the best!

Yep that's the one. Rte. 25, just 0.2 miles or so from the trailhead. Good place to know about for slackpack or day hike over Moosilauke. I'm not aware of any other hostels in Glencliff.

Driver8
06-30-2014, 14:43
Yep that's the one. Rte. 25, just 0.2 miles or so from the trailhead. Good place to know about for slackpack or day hike over Moosilauke. I'm not aware of any other hostels in Glencliff.

Yep, the immortal Coach Lou and I hiked it last year SOBO. He did a section from Franconia Notch over a few days. I joined him early afternoon Saturday 7/6 at K Notch. We overnighted at Beaver Brook, which has an amazing view from first light to sunrise this time of year - we got some awesome pics - then traversed the mighty big M down to the hostel. I enjoyed nice wade and a splash bath in Oliverian Brook, then, after a short road walk, the aforementioned outdoor shower. Great place, cool people.