PDA

View Full Version : UL FOOD (hiker Chow)

NomadVenture
06-29-2014, 14:48
Would Like to know other UL Hikers experience with different meal replacement options such as Powdered meals. If it get's me more miles with a lighter weight, then i'd stomach eating/drinking the same stuff everyday(like pet-food for hikers). There are other thing I realize that might make it actually not be the best UL hiker option, Issue with weight and that is the extra water you need to carry to fill your meal if using powders (even the powdered peanut butters)... Or what has been you other preferences for UL Food options ?? (lighter, faster, easy down, and virtually no cleanup or trash left over) Bonus points if mice and bears wont find it attractive...

If it's just a powdered meal replacement then shipping and mailing a post drop-box ahead would be a breeze no doubt... despite the idea of eating it everyday, always have the option of stopping in town to eat...my current powdered meal preference is RAW Meal plus the bulk value of using it would make each meal less than $20 a day so go out and hike a 30, and your at less than $1 per mile.

Some of my experience starts out with my First 1000 mile section hike (fall sobo 2012) I was considering high calorie density with all my food and had around 140 Calories/oz. Sad thing is I calculated my miles expected and number of calories i'd be burning, I used a variety of Calculators some hikers posted online. I wound up Never really eating much, almost as if my hunger went away while I was hiking. I've heard it's not to uncommon. But i also made some mistakes that resulted in me carrying steel cut oats for the first 100 miles... Never again! plus i didn't eat many of my probars either as solid food just lost it's appeal. I did send somethings home and gave plenty to some hiker boxes, and covering over to UL Hiking

Stove:
While I did pack a stove and tried being ultralight i had a Esbit/alcohol jet stove. I'm never packing Esbits again (the burn time and control is rather hard to maintain and putting them out when done) and I switched to a canister stove later on For my hike. And Now i don't consider stoves unless i'm hiking during the winter. (I biked through Shenandoah Park and froze my ass off in my tent stealth camping in January) My water containers started freezing the first hour being on the range. But for the warm weather if find the stove pointless if doing UL

During my Hike I enjoyed many different foods and pasta sides and goodies, but sometimes involved heavy cleanup. Always preferred the no cook dinner options, and so later during my bike ride i used meal replacement powders, tail mixes, fewer probars tea(for caffeine), Plain peanut-butter/mixed with coconut oil, Despite it being biking for hiking the level of activity is still the same level of hunger.

zelph
06-29-2014, 14:54
Stove:
While I did pack a stove and tried being ultralight i had a Esbit/alcohol jet stove. I'm never packing Esbits again (the burn time and control is rather hard to maintain and putting them out when done) and I switched to a canister stove later on For my hike. And Now i don't consider stoves unless i'm hiking during the winter. (I biked through Shenandoah Park and froze my ass off in my tent stealth camping in January) My water containers started freezing the first hour being on the range. But for the warm weather if find the stove pointless if doing UL

Plain peanut-butter/mixed with coconut oil, Despite it being biking for hiking the level of activity is still the same level of hunger.

Very interesting!

Venchka
06-29-2014, 15:10
I can eat real food for a lot less than $20/day. Given the long weekend trip junk food store resupply schedule on the AT, one has to wonder why anyone carries more than a handful of trail bars (Lara & T.J.'s for me) and a bag of peanut M&Ms. Or a dozen Snickers.
Trader Joe's is a cornucopia of trail food. The freeze-dried fruit selection is huge and the prices are about 1/4 of outfitter prices.
Bon appetite.

Wayne
Ps: I fell for the powdered PB. What a scam! They took out all the fat.

Sent from somewhere around here.

Dogwood
06-29-2014, 15:46
I assume the primary goal is to lower your trail food wt(and food volume) while happily completing a long hike. A long hike being defined as 1000+ miles. Keeping that always in mind, I've found there are other ways to accomplish that without having to eat the same powdered meals/powdered meal replacement food like substances exclusively or everyday. For a trail like the AT, doing a non winter hike, I find lowering my trail food wt quite easy to accomplish if I average 25+ miles per day resupplying every 3-4 days. Trail food wt dilemma solved especially if I'm already doing other things to lighten up my trail food wt(repackaging, upping/opting for nutrient dense high overall cal/oz average compact(low volume)trail food, etc). I know there are those who have taken the approach of trail food by doing exclusively powdered meal replacements. I tried it several times. I don't like it! I don't do it on long hikes or when I have opps to resupply every 8 days or less which I often do because my MPD avg is where it's at and the character of the types of hikes I typically do. I've personally found it pretty damn tastefully boring and nutritionally highly questionable(remembering there's more than total daily caloric intake, cals/oz, and protein/carb/fat %'s of totally daily caloric intake) on a long hike. Here's another question. If you can lower the wt of your trail food by substituting with a powdered meal replacement like Raw Meal FOR SOME OF YOUR MEALS why isn't that enough of wt saved? WHY do ALL your meals have to be a RAW MEAL replacement? Get what I'm asking? YES, I have taken Garden of Eaten Raw Meal to the trail but I will not do a powdered meal replacement exclusively. Personally, drinking what amounts to a Smoothie for dinner everyday on the trail gets real boring to me. I guess I wasn't meant to be an astronaut squeezing all my food out of a tube either. I want real WHOLE food as often as I can get it as an ULer. Personally I like adding the Raw Meal to QUICK Cook Oatmeal on cold weather and shoulder season hikes with added hemp seed, flax seed, chia seed, dried coconut flake/powdered coconut milk, powdered vanilla soy milk, dried mango, dried berries, sliced almonds, walnuts, etc. BTW, I'm with Venchka, I too can eat real food for a lot less than $20/day with my overall trail food wt STILL being light/UL wt.

NomadVenture
06-29-2014, 15:58
I'm considering it for an overall Ul hike food strategy if I plan on the triple crown so AT yeah it's easy to resupply with other options or eat fresh foods now and then, the $20 was an over estimate as the reality is each meal is about >$2 when portioned for a normal day at home, maybe more if portioned for hiking, maybe $4 each meal Max. But snacking/sipping throughout the day as i'm not a meal guy when i get so active, (also a great option for vegan hikers to use the RAW Meal)

I definitely would need to increase some of the fats, normally coconut oil is a favorite since shelf stable but dislike cool weather when it solidifies so i buy the peanut butter brand earth balance with the coconut oil added. I skipped the powder idea because of prep and cleanup during my winter bike tour...

Venchka
06-29-2014, 15:58
Thanks Dogwood. Sometimes I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness.
BTW, I too am a slave to CAD. It does support my habits. One of these days it will support my renewed interest in self-propelled travel.

Wayne

WingedMonkey
06-29-2014, 16:08
If it get's me more miles with a lighter weight, then i'd stomach eating/drinking the same stuff everyday(like pet-food for hikers).

I've lost the link, but a search might find it. There was a young man that tried to see how long he could go (not hiking) on Monkey Chow.

I do remember that Purina posted to his blog warning him they owned the name "Monkey Chow" and he had to refer to it after that as "primate meal" or something.

Something about too much fiber and he didn't stick to it.

I've always wondered when someone would really come up with a same meal all the time hiker chow, like we feed our pets. Maybe a cereal company?

NomadVenture
06-29-2014, 16:24
During my hike i would always add in coconut oil and hemp protein powder to the different goulash and schlopps we cooked tossing in stuff (had to rely on my hiker boxes for these type of items). being my first long distance hike it was a learning experience and some had it down to science but everyone's body's different so it involves many test runs to perfect a meal plan that you can stick to for the whole hike with no wast or excess.

I know how easy it is to resupply on the AT with the shops and stores, and my goal would be to max out my miles (for record setting) so town visits would be supper minimal. Also being vegan there does come limitations for resupply options, but i have only done two months with the Raw meal replacements on my bike ride earlier during the winter and only used when i wasn't in/around a town i could find some thing to eat. I know being a Vegan hiker sounds F'd up XP but i'm thinking it should be possible, there are a variety of things i can to to the powders to change things up, and fresh fruits/veggies to get in town. (but hopefully i could discipline myself for eating the same sludge mix every day as an effective system and may have some benefits if hiking in bear country on the CDT (dont know if a bear would eat the meal replacement powder)

Venchka
06-29-2014, 16:25
About a hundred years ago I remember researching long chain polymers as an additive to food for bike touring. Is Maltodextrin what I was thinking of then? How is it used? What are the good the bad and the ugly of using something like this as a low bulk calorie boosting powder?

Wayne

RockDoc
06-29-2014, 17:00
I met a young man in VA who was definitely UL. All he had for food was trail bars, and his first and only question for us was "What are the hours at the all-you-can-eat Pizza Hut in Daleville?"
It's called starve and gorge. There's more of this going on on the AT than you might think.

Odd Man Out
06-30-2014, 01:07
About a hundred years ago I remember researching long chain polymers as an additive to food for bike touring. Is Maltodextrin what I was thinking of then? How is it used? What are the good the bad and the ugly of using something like this as a low bulk calorie boosting powder?...

Maltodextrin is not a long chain polymer. Starch is a long chain polymer of glucose. Maltodextrin is partially broken down starch (i.e. a short chain polymer). Completely broken down starch is glucose. None are really "calorie boosters", per se. All dry carbohydrates will have about the same number of calories per gram, which will be about the same as dry protein. Fats will have a bit more than twice the calories per gram. So if you want a calorie booster, add fat. In terms of calorie content, it would not matter if it is olive, canola, corn, peanut, or coconut oil. BTW, the reference above about coconut oil being shelf stable is a little confusing as all oils are really shelf stable. It solidifies at cold temperatures because it is more saturated (like palm oil). The other vegetable oils are more unsaturated.

You could think of it this way. Most of what is in your food bag is either fat, carbs, protein, water, or packaging. The latter two have no calories and lower calorie density. Fats have the most and will increase calorie density. It is not possible to have more calories per gram than a bottle of vegetable oil. Anything else you have will lower your calorie density. If you want an estimate of the grams of water in your food, go to the nutrition label. Start with the serving size in grams. Subtract the grams of fat, protein, and carbs per serving. What's left is the water (mostly).

I personally want to have all three macro nutrients (fats, carbs, protein) in my diet. Fats give you energy and have the highest calorie density, so don't skimp on these. Carbs are necessary to maintain blood sugar. If you don't eat them, your body has to make them from protein which is not very efficient. Protein is probably not as important as most people think. Much of the protein you eat will be burned up anyway and your body is better at burning fats and carbs. Put these three together (with more fat and less of the others) with almost no water and minimal packaging and you would have the perfect hiking food. This is pretty much a perfect description of peanut butter.

garlic08
06-30-2014, 08:16
I've done several long UL hikes and have never packed a bar or powder of any kind. A mainstay in my diet is muesli I make with rolled oats, nuts, and dried fruit. Since rolled oats are parboiled in processing, there's no need to cook. I can buy the ingredients at any small grocery store in the country. No added sugar, and the only fat is from tree nuts, which I believe is pretty good stuff. That's what I consider my hiker chow.

(When I read the labels on processed food, I cringe. And I recently read "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss, which made me happy I never got hooked on the stuff.)

Years ago I met one hiker who ate only that on his Triple Crown hikes. I tried it for several hundred miles but found I need more variety. So I supplement that with tortillas and other fatty breads and crackers, cheese, more nuts and nut butters, more dried fruit.

My trail food cost on the AT, with no mail drops, was about $7/day. My town food diet was about that much too (I ate very well in AT trail towns), so my average cost to eat on the AT was pretty close to $15/day. On other more remote trails, I spend far less than that. On a recent cross-US bicycle tour, I spent about $12/day, which also included lots of restaurant meals.

NomadVenture
06-30-2014, 13:26
So to ask fundamentally, despite preferences due to any factors on taste and texture, would a nutritionally balanced powdered meal replacement for hikers be considered one of the best methods at being ultralight if you only packed what you needed for the days you were hiking ?

I know that shorter hikes it's doable to carry bulkier and heavier food and still be light enough to pack long miles but by definition of ultralight wouldn't a powdered meal replacement be at the top of the list?

Considering the other factors such as packing extra water for food consumption would that really add on a bunch of excess weight? or would that just be over hype especially since it'd depend on the trail and water sources. But guess it could vary and add on extra miles for water runs for your food. Thought's on this if you did happen to decide to go this route regardless of preferences?

Venchka
06-30-2014, 13:32
Maltodextrin is not a long chain polymer. Starch is a long chain polymer of glucose. Maltodextrin is partially broken down starch (i.e. a short chain polymer). Completely broken down starch is glucose. None are really "calorie boosters", per se. All dry carbohydrates will have about the same number of calories per gram, which will be about the same as dry protein. Fats will have a bit more than twice the calories per gram. So if you want a calorie booster, add fat. In terms of calorie content, it would not matter if it is olive, canola, corn, peanut, or coconut oil. BTW, the reference above about coconut oil being shelf stable is a little confusing as all oils are really shelf stable. It solidifies at cold temperatures because it is more saturated (like palm oil). The other vegetable oils are more unsaturated.

You could think of it this way. Most of what is in your food bag is either fat, carbs, protein, water, or packaging. The latter two have no calories and lower calorie density. Fats have the most and will increase calorie density. It is not possible to have more calories per gram than a bottle of vegetable oil. Anything else you have will lower your calorie density. If you want an estimate of the grams of water in your food, go to the nutrition label. Start with the serving size in grams. Subtract the grams of fat, protein, and carbs per serving. What's left is the water (mostly).

I personally want to have all three macro nutrients (fats, carbs, protein) in my diet. Fats give you energy and have the highest calorie density, so don't skimp on these. Carbs are necessary to maintain blood sugar. If you don't eat them, your body has to make them from protein which is not very efficient. Protein is probably not as important as most people think. Much of the protein you eat will be burned up anyway and your body is better at burning fats and carbs. Put these three together (with more fat and less of the others) with almost no water and minimal packaging and you would have the perfect hiking food. This is pretty much a perfect description of peanut butter.

1. I was thinking "low bulk, space friendly calorie addition" when I wrote calorie booster. Like something to add to oatmeal, grits, etc.
2. Shame on me for using a product marketing hype web page as a source. I also didn't read far enough: "maltodextrin has a high-glycemic index". Danger! Warning! "Be afraid. Be very afraid!"

Maltodextrin:
The predominate ingredient in Mike’s Mix Recovery Drink is maltodextrin, which is isolated from corn and is considered a complex carbohydrate. It is a common component of many foods and is considered safe and easily digestible. Maltodextrin is also a glucose polymer (many molecules of glucose linked together forming long chains). Numerous research studies demonstrate that glucose polymers are optimal in a glycogen replenishment formula post-workout. 10. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11897899) Although a complex carbohydrate, maltodextrin has a high-glycemic index, which means it is converted to blood glucose quickly. The speed at which glucose can be available to the muscles for glycogen synthesis is vital. The enzyme that is responsible for synthesizing glycogen (glycogen synthase) is relatively inactive most of the time. However, there is a short time period immediately after exercise where conditions are favorable and glycogen synthase becomes extremely active. 11. (http://www.edb.utexas.edu/coyle/pdf%20library/%2832%29%20Ivy,%20Muscle%20glycogen%20synthesis%20 after%20exercise,%20JAP%2064%284%29%201480-85,%201988.pdf) An athlete must provide a sufficient amount of these high-glycemic index carbohydrates to replenish glycogen effectively. 12. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8226443) Maltodextrin accomplishes this as well or better than any other food.

I will stick to prepared foods with ingredients that I recognize and can pronounce. The shorter the list the better.
Like these almond bars from Trader Joe's
http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=1751

Wayne

garlic08
06-30-2014, 21:08
So to ask fundamentally, despite preferences due to any factors on taste and texture, would a nutritionally balanced powdered meal replacement for hikers be considered one of the best methods at being ultralight if you only packed what you needed for the days you were hiking ?

What do you consider "nutritionally balanced?" Do you trust scientists and technicians in factories, and government regulations (possibly influenced by industry lobbying?) to balance your diet? When I look at what the past fifty years of food processing has done to our collective health, I'm not so sure I'll trust that system. (When I was in elementary school in the early 1960s, we'd never even heard of diabetes and we teased the one poor kid who was a little chubby.)

Your phrase about carrying only what you need is a loaded one. Most hikers overpack on food. I consider it fine planning to come into town just a little hungry, having consumed the last of the food at breakfast that morning. That last day with no food and usually no water in the pack is a real joy. You have to face the fear of being hungry, though, and that's a hard one for many.

...Considering the other factors such as packing extra water for food consumption would that really add on a bunch of excess weight? or would that just be over hype especially since it'd depend on the trail and water sources. But guess it could vary and add on extra miles for water runs for your food. Thought's on this if you did happen to decide to go this route regardless of preferences?

Not sure I follow the thought here, but I usually eat at water sources and carry minimal water between them. Again, water management is a big factor in UL hiking. A one liter bottle of water is the heaviest thing in my pack, including the pack, so I carry as little of it as possible. Again, you have to face the fear of being thirsty. But in a typical spring start on the AT, there are excellent springs sometimes every few miles and there were days I didn't carry any water at all. And a lighter pack allows you to hike farther with less food and water, which allows you to carry less food and water, in a kind of spiraling effect.

NomadVenture
06-30-2014, 23:27
What do you consider "nutritionally balanced?" Do you trust scientists and technicians in factories, and government regulations (possibly influenced by industry lobbying?) to balance your diet? When I look at what the past fifty years of food processing has done to our collective health, I'm not so sure I'll trust that system.

It wasn't about a system(or any daily value gov regulated chart out there) but I would call it "ideally balanced" for a hiker and their need (considering making my own combination of such for my own hikes).

My phrase about only carrying what you need is all hypothetical conditions for the point of camparison, not actual, but just a middle line. Of course I'd eat in town when conveniently possible, though in consideration to be as ultralight and time efficient for speed hiking there would be factors of time spent off trail grabbing food and deciding if it is more optimal to carry the slight larger food quantity of food and keep packing miles or pack less so as to be lighter and make more miles and you trade that out for the time spend of trail...?

For the water bit: I know when it comes to other trails besides the AT you will be forced to carry more between resupply points, and so that led me to the question of water depending on how far away refill points are if you just down the meal or take it on the go so you'd be carrying the water that would mix your meal as well as the water your drinking normally.

rocketsocks
06-30-2014, 23:44
I've done several long UL hikes and have never packed a bar or powder of any kind. A mainstay in my diet is muesli I make with rolled oats, nuts, and dried fruit. Since rolled oats are parboiled in processing, there's no need to cook. I can buy the ingredients at any small grocery store in the country. No added sugar, and the only fat is from tree nuts, which I believe is pretty good stuff. That's what I consider my hiker chow.

(When I read the labels on processed food, I cringe. And I recently read "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss, which made me happy I never got hooked on the stuff.)

Years ago I met one hiker who ate only that on his Triple Crown hikes. I tried it for several hundred miles but found I need more variety. So I supplement that with tortillas and other fatty breads and crackers, cheese, more nuts and nut butters, more dried fruit.

My trail food cost on the AT, with no mail drops, was about $7/day. My town food diet was about that much too (I ate very well in AT trail towns), so my average cost to eat on the AT was pretty close to $15/day. On other more remote trails, I spend far less than that. On a recent cross-US bicycle tour, I spent about $12/day, which also included lots of restaurant meals.
Developed around 1900 by Swiss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland) physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Bircher-Benner) for patients in his hospital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muesli

rocketsocks
06-30-2014, 23:46
Shoot, lost my editing privileges...meant to say, found this interesting.

Dogwood
07-01-2014, 02:59
WOW, you are bringing a lot of detailed sometimes quite deep considerations into play all of a sudden. Sounds like you are getting ahead of yourself. Consider taking on one long distance speed/record setting hike at a time. This way some of the answers to your questions will get clearer and be more personally focused as you perfect your hiking style like your water wt logistics, personal nutrition, etc. You mentioned Triple Crowning, maxing out your miles(for record setting), Veganism, minimal town stops, ultralight hiking, trail food costs, etc on top of trail nutrition of which you are considering exclusively(?) substituting with powdered food on trail. I see some of those goals as possibly contradictory none the less challenging. I too don't buy into this idea of "ideally balanced." That sounds like a marketing term or something derived from modern Nutritional Science models that theorize food is simply a chemical concoction of the known components. I would like to know WHAT YOU DEFINE as an IDEALLY BALANCED ON TRAIL DIET and how you've arrived at it? I've met quite a few Vegans and a few that have thru-hiked and a few trail speed record setters but no Vegan I've known adheres to a completely exclusive Vegan powdered meal trail diet on or off the trail or for a long distance TC trail thru-hike much less a speed/record setting TC thru- hike. You would be the first I know attempting this. I'm a UL long distance hiker who has completed the TC largely as a pesce vegetarian but my hiking style isn't the same as you anticipate yours to be. I'm not trying to set any records. I would also like to know: 1) the rest of your UL kit, could you post a gear list?, it may be that you could lose wt in other areas of your kit instead of limiting yourself to an all powdered meal on trail hiking diet?, 2) and what's the longest continuous hike you have completed? if you have done a long distance hike can you describe the hiking style and particulars of that hike(diet, avg MPD, what trail/route?, wt carried, typical ebergy levels, etc

Damn Yankee
07-01-2014, 04:18
If you want to know what to take on an UL(record attempt) why not contact Jennifer Pharr Davis? She currently holds the unofficial record for the fastest thru hike of the Appalachian Trail with a time of 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 min. and could give you some great food options, I'm sure.

garlic08
07-01-2014, 08:03
...though in consideration to be as ultralight and time efficient for speed hiking there would be factors of time spent off trail grabbing food and deciding if it is more optimal to carry the slight larger food quantity of food and keep packing miles or pack less so as to be lighter and make more miles and you trade that out for the time spend of trail...?

I agree that time spent on logistics is a concern. For me, it's not a matter of speed, just that I'd rather be out on the trail and not fiddling around running errands in town. Or messing about trying to get to town in the first place. There were many town stops I missed on the AT because a hitch was involved and the standard pack load of food I was used to carrying on other long trails could easily get me 100 miles. (My first stop on the AT was at Franklin NC, over 100 miles in. I easily skipped hitching into Galtlinburg TN, a common stop in the Smokies.) I got pretty good at washing clothes without soap in a stream or lake and wearing them dry to avoid a laundry stop.

That's also a major reason I don't carry a stove. Finding fuel is an errand I never enjoyed. And it's a reason I don't do food drops, with the need to adjust my schedule around what ever place is holding my package. For some reason, the time spent walking the aisles in a small grocery store doesn't bother me, especially if the store is right on the trail. Or sitting in a restaurant with a large salad.

As Dogwood says, you need to develop your own systems and preferences. Mine make no sense to many very experienced hikers. It's good to see and listen to what others do, and selectively modify and adapt them.

NomadVenture
07-01-2014, 09:27
WOW, you are bringing a lot of detailed sometimes quite deep considerations into play all of a sudden. Sounds like you are getting ahead of yourself. Consider taking on one long distance speed/record setting hike at a time. This way some of the answers to your questions will get clearer and be more personally focused as you perfect your hiking style like your water wt logistics, personal nutrition, etc. You mentioned Triple Crowning, maxing out your miles(for record setting), Veganism, minimal town stops, ultralight hiking, trail food costs, etc on top of trail nutrition of which you are considering exclusively(?) substituting with powdered food on trail. I see some of those goals as possibly contradictory none the less challenging. I too don't buy into this idea of "ideally balanced." That sounds like a marketing term or something derived from modern Nutritional Science models that theorize food is simply a chemical concoction of the known components. I would like to know WHAT YOU DEFINE as an IDEALLY BALANCED ON TRAIL DIET and how you've arrived at it?

Don't mind getting ahead of my self right now as I debate what methods to trial run through before a "triple crown record setter" -as a vegan unsupported so I believe the triple record is 239 consecutive days December 30, 2005 by Matthew Hazley... though it may be different if you consider adding up the unsupported record for each trail individually. Who know's the unsupported record for all three? (the powdered meal thing really became a big idea when I was on my bike tour more recently) I do remember reading up from one hikers blog about their food choices and they went with a high nutritional density claiming because of raw foods that they realized they didn't need to eat so much (saving weight) only a 3000 calorie intake daily and only lost 6lb on his pct through hike so minimal deficits. ( http://www.rawhike.com/foodplan.shtml ) I'd consider something like the Raw meal replacement a good source of energy and would be consuming a bigger amount to meet my needs, but would consider other powders as options to mix in, to round out and mix up the flavors, I do doubt I will carry only the powder and consider trail mixes and plain nut butters on my TC attempt.

...I would also like to know: 1) the rest of your UL kit, could you post a gear list?, it may be that you could lose wt in other areas of your kit instead of limiting yourself to an all powdered meal on trail hiking diet?, 2) and what's the longest continuous hike you have completed? if you have done a long distance hike can you describe the hiking style and particulars of that hike(diet, avg MPD, what trail/route?, wt carried, typical energy levels, etc

The gear list is in the works trying to consider what weather and terrain I'll be crossing by along the TC. Longest was After hiking SoBo on the AT from DWG PA, my food source was the most problematic. (wasn't vegan during this time frame either) Energy levels were moderate and dwindled down once at the end of PA, but wound up loosing my hunger to much, only ate a 1/2 bagel one day as i couldn't stomach much. Hunger and energy levels came back and my avg mpd were 16, started of hike at 197 lb end hike 170 lb. I planed for the 5000 calories per day but ran into a surplus and a waste of food, to many bars, and to mention the steel cut oats again (planed on them for breakfast every day but a total time and fuel killer...switched to breads and bagels with my coconut pb in the am.) So my first consideration in modification is my food plan, not the place i'd expect to be best to take advantage of weight saving option either but got to tackle all areas.

I'll be planing some trial runs on different sections in the PCT and CDT with the winter and summer gear respectively along with my meal plan. PCT trial would cover WA and the Canada portion, CDT trial would be all of CO and parts of WY

rafe
07-01-2014, 09:48

Protein's important for rebuilding the body -- which takes a beating on the trail. Protein is long-term energy. On the trail you get it from cheese, nuts, peanut butter, energy bars, re-hydrated beans (eg. hummus,) or meats (properly preserved, packaged or dried.) In town, get it from dairy products, eggs, or meat. Most distance hikers I've seen go crazy for dairy (chocolate milk, ice cream, etc.) in town.

Snickers and peanut M&Ms still rule.

BillyGr
07-01-2014, 14:43
If you want to know what to take on an UL(record attempt) why not contact Jennifer Pharr Davis? She currently holds the unofficial record for the fastest thru hike of the Appalachian Trail with a time of 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 min. and could give you some great food options, I'm sure.

Except that she had people following her with supplies, which would likely mean she didn't need to be extremely light (as she wasn't carrying most of her gear, it was brought to her as various stop points). Probably in many cases even having meals ready for her to eat when she arrived at a certain point?

CalebJ
07-01-2014, 14:53
Matt Kirk would be the more obvious one to follow. He's listed some/all of his packing choices online in the past. He had a thai peanut ramen recipe that was pretty good, and I think coconut oil was another of his go-to choices.

Dogwood
07-01-2014, 17:55
The picture becomes clearer. Thank you. But, the complexity deepens. 1) TC in under a yr with the goal from the onset of attaining a speed record for doing the TC. 2) you are attempting it unsupported(I thought that was what you were attempting). It sounds like you are stuck exclusively on powdered foods on trail. That's different than what Doug did. Doug supplemented his powdered drinks with other whole living foods which is exactly what I told you Raw Food enthusiasts or Vegans that I've known opt for both on and off trail. IMHO, the logistics of thru-hiking the three TC trails in basically a non-stop succession in a sub 240 day time frame are FAR FAR more important than adopting a powdered meal only trail diet in order to POSSIBLY save a couple of lbs!!! I see you going into town or off trail to pick up mailed resupply boxes more often than you think.

Dogwood
07-01-2014, 18:06
Are you saying you hiked the AT SOBO from DWG to the southern terminus? And, lost 27 lbs? I find that difficult to continue if you extend those stats to the entire TC with a 240 sub day time frame. That isn't going to work. Too much wt loss! It'll catch up with you at some pt! You aren't getting the nutrition you need to sustain you on a TC trail thru-hike of only a 16 MPD average AND CERTAINLY NOT FOR A TC IN UNDER A YEAR with a RECORD SETTING TIME FRAME with those stats.

Dogwood
07-01-2014, 18:08
JPD was supported and she had thru-hiked the AT on two previous occasions. Different situation.

DLP
07-01-2014, 18:31
...don't know if a bear would eat the meal replacement powder Bears and rodents will happily eat anything that is food or food-ish. My neighbor had a bear eat his orange scented dish soap.

NomadVenture
07-01-2014, 19:55
Are you saying you hiked the AT SOBO from DWG to the southern terminus? And, lost 27 lbs?

That was my first long distance hike, resulted in much needed weight loss (though to rapid i will say) I Managed fine most the way, and this was before i went vegan so my diet was everywhere and so i've taken the time since then cleaning it up. I rebounded to 180 lb and then within the next year keeping a higher activity level and being vegan i'm below 160 lb, and have been great for my other short hikes and bike rides (I ride a bike every day for my summer job, Who's heard of pedicabs?) So with this sustained activity level I've gotten used to my diet and it throws me off when i'm not out and active for to long)

I do feel that with my current abilities it'd be much easier to pull of the TC maybe in two years (though financially that's a different story) The first hike went sour and somehow lost my hunger (maybe it's better now bec i'm a vegan ;) ... or just at a healthy weight), i am 6ft...

But it just goes into what might be the most optimal be it a combination of powdered meals and whole foods or sticking to the singular option.

Venchka
07-01-2014, 22:07
Except that she had people following her with supplies, which would likely mean she didn't need to be extremely light (as she wasn't carrying most of her gear, it was brought to her as various stop points). Probably in many cases even having meals ready for her to eat when she arrived at a certain point?

Totally correct. I read her book recently. That doesn't diminish her accomplishment in the least.

Wayne

Venchka
07-02-2014, 08:10
I should have been more specific. The book I mentioned above is "Called Again." The account of Jennifer's very well supported record on the AT. It was a total team effort. Jennifer's task was to hike. Her support team, led by her husband, handled everything else. As for nutrition, her diet was not be appropriate for this thread. :D :cool:

Wayne

Dogwood
07-02-2014, 11:35
In todays society we can let ourselves by default fall into a frantic multitasking see it all get er done if anything is worth doing it's worth doing fast mindset. We can be channeled into living that way from many sources. You could certainly choose to long distance hike that way but realize you have a choice. WHY do you hike? One of the wonderful characteristics of long distance hiking is the individual has the ability to decide on the conditional aspects they place on their hikes. Consider carefully all the conditional aspects you place on your hikes as they can back you into a corner making your hiking ultimately not what you thought it would be.

MuddyWaters
07-05-2014, 08:49
I pretty much eat the same thing every day already on the trail, at least for a week to two weeks at a time.. Im too lazy to figure out different options, and you save a few $ buying bulk packages.

granola
tortillas and peanut butter
noodle dinners
mms
trail mix

I might eat them in a different order each day, but day in , day out, its the same thing.

I like restaurants too.

kayak karl
07-05-2014, 09:25
Totally correct. I read her book recently. That doesn't diminish her accomplishment in the least.

Wayne

i don't think it was meant to diminish her accomplishment, but you would probably want a NON supported hikers food menu. :)

q-tip
07-05-2014, 17:49
If anyone is interested, I hae a number of calorie requirements/FOOD LISTS that might be helpful. Send me you email on a PM and I will forward, Q.

NomadVenture
07-17-2014, 13:24
In todays society we can let ourselves by default fall into a frantic multitasking see it all get er done if anything is worth doing it's worth doing fast mindset. We can be channeled into living that way from many sources. You could certainly choose to long distance hike that way but realize you have a choice. WHY do you hike? One of the wonderful characteristics of long distance hiking is the individual has the ability to decide on the conditional aspects they place on their hikes. Consider carefully all the conditional aspects you place on your hikes as they can back you into a corner making your hiking ultimately not what you thought it would be.

It's not about a "worth doing fast mindset", my ambitions are about pushing my abilities to an optimal level to accomplish a goal I could leisurely hike the TC in a year and spend about 20 grand doing so and not backing myself into a corner. And I have that intention planed with other hikes and trip I make to be more leisurely with out the factors i'm placing into my TC hiking goal. To me doing this hike would be more of a personal vendetta but also hope it could be an eye opener for others.

Goal with this post is to find out about other peoples optimal UL food option, though I realize most of the figuring it out will have to rely on testing things myself, and testing ideas for the first time potentially since I want to do this hike Vegan + No heat, Unsupported, so I figure there hasn't been a lot of exploration into this field of hiker how-to's.

Venchka
07-17-2014, 13:56
Get thee to Trader Joe's. They have a mind boggling array of no-cook trail foods at reasonable prices. I was particularly impressed by their assortment of freeze-dried fruits based on variety and price per ounce versus REI. The seed & nut selection is extensive as well.
Good luck!

Wayne

Venchka
07-17-2014, 14:04

From memory after reading "Called Again":
MacDonald's, milk shakes, Subway, yogurt, McDonald's, trail bars, Subway, milk shakes, ice cream, Subway, pizza, McDonald's...whatever her husband could find and get to her at the next road crossing. Tofu & sprouts were never mentioned.

Wayne

soulrebel
07-17-2014, 18:37
For this kinda stuff, I use hammer nutrition. maltodextrin instead of sugar, so no crash and burn... I'll buy whey and add that for protein. It has an absorption (PER) around 100 and the whey isolate has absorption around 153. Both are great for recovery... I'll use perpeteum or sustained energy which are a premixed prot/carb mix or if i'm eating jerky and just need more carbs i'll use Carbopro or Heed, both are excellent at adding easily digested calories without GI upset. and their vegan...I don't really use them for hiking as much as I do for running or cyclin'. Usually heat and intensity, lead more toward more liquid based calories that are easy to digest, preferably not sugar based. If and when I eat candy, it's in the afternoon and i try to follow up with a dinner not too long after...carbs are digested differently. Anyhow, if i usually mix a concentrate bottle of about 400-600cals and sip on that over a couple hours while the other bottle is plain water...I'll eat some gel and electrolytes tabs if it's hot and follow up with a whey shake at the end...and eat normal food once i'm done doing the high intensity activity that requires that stuff. I don't mix regular sugars with the maltodextrin...it messes up the digestion of both of them...one or the other. my 2c have fun out there...

P.s. lil green drink, seaweed, sprouted chia are some natural items but they aren't very immediate in what they do...better as recovery foods.

soulrebel
07-17-2014, 18:42
freeze-dried meals-dinner potato chips, jerky/bacon, and nut butters -lunch are the cal density you seek in addition to the powder supplements mentioned...light, compact, calorie-dense, expensive.

Dogwood
07-17-2014, 19:23
I'm really trying to see clearly defined goals Nomad Venturer. I'm not seeing you clearly state in one sentence what you are after. I'm confused. You're now saying you are seeking optimal UL (trail)food based on: Vegan diet, + No heat(no cook), + Unsupported. BUT, you now leave out what you said or alluded to in past posts. Must I go back and requote you here regarding your desire to?: "maxing out miles", "speed hiking", "Triple Crowning in under a year", and "Triple Crowning in a sub 240 day period." I ask because it is my contention that a "optimal UL food plan", especially one where you are placing severe restrictions on food wt and variety over the long term, is heavily influenced by and integral to whether or not you also are planning to "max out miles", "speed hike", go after a TC in less than 1 yr, and/or go after a TC in a sub 240 day period.

Venchka
07-17-2014, 19:52
Vegetable oils, for your Vegan diet, are the calorie dense champions at 251 calories/ounce. Olive, peanut, pecan, etc., etc. are all the same.
Folks who cross icecaps pack their sleds with tubs of butter at 203 calories/ounce. It is a solid at the ambient temperatures encountered on icecaps. Travels well. Can be eaten with a spoon.
I do not think that there is an UL equivalent for nuts & oils that do not require cooking. If you find one, let us know please.
If you do finish a 1 year TC please tell us all about your diet. We would love to know the secret.
In the meantime, milk shakes, peanut butter, chocolate, bacon, jerky, ice cream, pizza, EVOO, peanut oil, pecan oil, coconut oil, etc., etc. are the calorie dense foods of choice. Dogwood's diet being the exception to the rule. :D :cool:

Wayne

thecyclops
08-03-2014, 23:20
Bears and rodents will happily eat anything that is food or food-ish. My neighbor had a bear eat his orange scented dish soap.
LOL I cant help thinking about when he went to expel it the next day...had to be bad.

Dogwood
08-03-2014, 23:59
LOL I cant help thinking about when he went to expel it the next day...had to be bad.

Reminds me of having Baltimore Jack share his story of arriving at camp one night after an arduous day of hiking famished and in dire thirst. He mistakenly made his Orange Tang drink with look a like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese dry mix, "Orange Death Powder" as he described it, he found, I think he said in a plastic baggie in a hiker box. Guzzled down the drink before he knew his mistake. Yuk! LOL.