PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of this forum

attroll
10-02-2005, 22:15
wbdent The purpose of these forums is for females to have there own place to discuss their issues. Once this forum gets going and off the ground and we have a female admin for these forums then I will removed myself and SGT Rock from this forum seeing that we are not females. This way if everything works out properly then only females will have access to this forum and all issues and problems will have to be directed to the female that is the Admin for these forums.

attroll
10-03-2005, 13:19
This is set up right now so everyone can see and read these this forum. We need a female administrator before we can proceed any further with this. There are several option on how this can be set up. First we can leave it as it is right now so that everyone can read this forum but only females can post to them.

or

We can set it up so that only females and see, read and post to these forums.

dixicritter
10-03-2005, 14:30
Troll what do you want the female admin to do? If you'd like I'd be happy to keep the peace in there, but my hiking experience is limited. I do have some knowledge, just enough to make me dangerous...lol. If you want someone with more hiking experience that's cool with me too. :)

bulldog49
10-03-2005, 14:31
We can set it up so that only females and see, read and post to these forums.

Why? Will you also set up a forum that only guys can read?

How will you determine who is a female and who is a male? What about hermaphrodites and transexuals? Which forum will they have to use?

stupe
10-03-2005, 23:29
Support this fully, and bravo.

attroll
10-04-2005, 00:25
How will you determine who is a female and who is a male? What about hermaphrodites and transexuals? Which forum will they have to use?That is what the female adminstrator is for. She would be the one that determins who can be added to this forum and who can not.

Troll what do you want the female admin to do? If you'd like I'd be happy to keep the peace in there, but my hiking experience is limited. I do have some knowledge, just enough to make me dangerous...lol. If you want someone with more hiking experience that's cool with me too. :)No Dixicritter you don't have to be a hiker to do, but it would help. What the female admin would be required to do is verify that anyone wants to be added to these forums is a female and then you could go into the admin and put the check mark in admin profile section for Female forums. I am waiting to see if there are any females that are interested in this before I just let it start taking off. You are more then welcome to take care of this Dixiecritter if we do let this go. You already have the experience of the Admin area.

dixicritter
10-04-2005, 06:42
That is what the female adminstrator is for. She would be the one that determins who can be added to this forum and who can not.

No Dixicritter you don't have to be a hiker to do, but it would help. What the female admin would be required to do is verify that anyone wants to be added to these forums is a female and then you could go into the admin and put the check mark in admin profile section for Female forums. I am waiting to see if there are any females that are interested in this before I just let it start taking off. You are more then welcome to take care of this Dixiecritter if we do let this go. You already have the experience of the Admin area.

Experience with the Admin area I do have plenty of. And at least I have a "resourse" readily available to ask questions on the hiking info. ;)

dixicritter
10-04-2005, 17:50
BTW, Troll this pepto-pink background hurts my eyes.....LOL.

geoffrey morris
10-05-2005, 14:26
like that will stop the guys from seeing it. Hell i'll just use my moms' computer or have my wife register. Kinda unfair, what make you gals think your intitled to such an exclusive forum. The more you try to keep it all female the more the men will attempt to view. This is gonna be funny,
G

stupe
10-05-2005, 17:44
like that will stop the guys from seeing it. Hell i'll just use my moms' computer or have my wife register. This is gonna be funny,
GSee why they need their own forum?

april2006
10-05-2005, 19:22
I'm new to this site, but I think this is a great idea. Sometimes women have questions that they don't feel comfortable discussing in an open forum.

Hammock Hanger
10-05-2005, 19:34
I'm new to this site, but I think this is a great idea. Sometimes women have questions that they don't feel comfortable discussing in an open forum.
I think that a female only forum has some validity as there are women/ladies out there that are still uncomfortable discussing EVERYTHING in an open forum. HOwever, the guys here will just continue to whine and drive us all nuts until it is open or gone altogether.

So ladies we either need to get tougher skin and just put it all out there... (I've already pretty much aired all personal info so I'm already there.)

OR

You can get referred to the Yahoo Womens Hiking List that has been online for like 5 years already. It is not connected to any other forum so there is no one feeling left out.

If there is any woman on this forum that has personal or delicate questions always feel free to email me off the forum. Sue T

dixicritter
10-05-2005, 19:35
like that will stop the guys from seeing it. Hell i'll just use my moms' computer or have my wife register. Kinda unfair, what make you gals think your intitled to such an exclusive forum. The more you try to keep it all female the more the men will attempt to view. This is gonna be funny,
G

GM I haven't seen one female on WB say they feel entitled to such an "exclusive forum". Please don't put words in people's mouths. It is posts like this that make some females concerned about asking their questions in open forums. Not all men are threatened by women "getting together" in one place to discuss issues that relate to only women.

Would all this uproar be stopped if the forum were viewable by all, yet the women were the only ones that could post? Probably not. Some guys seem to be unable to stop themselves from making snide comments to issues that women don't find funny.

Also there are more than just adults that post at WhiteBlaze. What about some teen girl that would like to ask questions of a purely female nature, yet she's not comfortable asking them in open forum? What is this young girl supposed to do?

I also don't see why we should just refer our female posters to other sites if they could also have a resource here at WB. What difference does it really make if there is more than one or two places for women to feel comfortable posting VERY personal questions? Why should the WB female members have to go outside of WB to find their answers? Why are people so afraid of change?

So the forum gets a chance for a month or so to see if there is an interest... Who does it hurt? The answer is that it hurts no one to give it a try.

(Please not that this entire post isn't solely directed at GM, only the first paragraph did I intend to direct at him specifically. Thank you.)

Hammock Hanger
10-05-2005, 19:39
Dixie: I didn't even think about the teen aspect.. your right.

dixicritter
10-05-2005, 19:47
I just know how my daughter was in her teens and even now in her barely 20's. Embarrasses extremely easy. That's what made me think of that honestly.

Fiddleback
10-05-2005, 20:08
Guys -- Don't worry about the 'female-only' aspect. The Womens forum over on backpacker.com works just fine with male participation (there's not much male participation...maybe it works despite the male participation:-? ). 'Women's issues' and gender specific/body specific questions and concerns are openly discussed with maturity. If we males have a question that we want a female to answer, the considerate women of that forum are always there to help. Some participating males have asked questions for their wives, girlfriends, and daughters. And some males have provided answers and suggestions to female queries. Don't worry about the closed nature of this proposed forum on WhiteBlaze, all you want or don't want to know can be found at the Backpacker forum.

FB

Lilred
10-05-2005, 20:36
I agree about the pink.. Ewwwwwww :p

Programbo
10-06-2005, 18:58
I`m transexual, so can I post in here if it becomes "female only"?

dixicritter
10-06-2005, 19:14
I`m transexual, so can I post in here if it becomes "female only"?
I don't have a problem with that.

stupe
10-06-2005, 23:42
I`m transexual, so can I post in here if it becomes "female only"?If you are willing to undergo the surgery, and are legally fem, I bet you'll be able to post.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-07-2005, 06:17
I'm the female half of an older hiking couple. I've had several questions that I wouldn't even consider posting on this site because of comments I've seen in threads on sensitive topics. I might ask such questions in a female only forum. However, I've also seen several Dads picking up ideas and pointers on how to take care of their teen daughters' needs on the trail so I question the wisdom of restricting the forum to females exclusively.

I've been appalled by some of the comments I've seen a handful of guys make in threads regarding female-specific topics. The same posters tend to be disruptive in threads on other topics as well so I don't think the issue is gender-based discrimination. They are the people who convinced BB software designers to offer the 'ignore' feature on BB software and I've lowered the stress of reading this site considerably by using that feature to eliminate posts from a handful of troublemakers from what shows up on my monitor.

This may not be possible at WB, but I'd like to toss out the idea of a forum for 'sensitive topics' that is open to both male and female posters. What I am suggesting is a forum that is administered a bit more stringently that the other forums here - meaning that those who make rude and crude comments would lose the privilege of viewing and posting in the 'sensitive topic' forum, but not other forums on this site. A second way to deal with crude posters would be to put their posts in the sensitive topic area on 'pre-moderated status' - meaning a admin would read thier posts before they appeared in the thread and could block offensive posts. Either of these methods could result in a safer / friendly environment where all posters could discuss things like menstrual issues, sexual issues and hygiene / health issues.

rambunny
10-12-2005, 15:45
For crying out loud! Thanks for the forum guys i think it will be a good service to some of the female hiking community.
My own personal experience is that there is no differance between female and male hikers other than that issue that can be covered by "pack it in pack it out".
But however i can see that it can be a scarey thought to the gal sitting at home condimplating a solo hike only knowing the environment they are in.
Fortunatley i can say i've never felt safer in my life on the trail.

Yo-Yo
05-17-2006, 16:38
G
well now that is a dumb question
but maybe you that dumb so I can answer it
some gals may not want to ask things like
what do ou all do when it comes that time of the month on the trail for cleaning yourself up
or the one about staying safe on the trail frim not so nice guys
there are some girl isues that have nothing to do with a guy and some girls would not feel comfortable asking or commenting on it if they thought a guy might read the post
Hope that answers your question
and as far as some one getting on their moms computer or having their wife sign up for them, I would hope every one of the guys on the whole hikers forum wouldbe more honest then that
and as far as the guys having their own forum
what is there that is so private you all would need to talk about
how bald your getting
or maybe who can carry the most weight and not get tired maybe

Erro
05-17-2006, 18:53
As a male, my vote (not that I get one in a Female forum), would be to allow men to view, but not post. This forum has some great info that is useful to both sexes. For instance I specifically did a search on "underwear" while trying to decide what to wear, if any. I got a lot of good info from this forum.

I completely comprehend that there have been comments from my chromosomal cohorts that have been less then cool.

Fair enough - block us all from posting.

I would just point out that I'm the male part of a female/male hiking team. I'm doing all the online research here on WhiteBlaze for the two of us. Not that she's not capable - she's an IT professional and can HTML the hell out of me any day. But I just happen to be the one tasked with this part.

I find much of the information here very useful. I'd hate to be blocked from viewing it, but will respect the Ladies' wishes.

-Erro

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2006, 19:02
Personally, I don't have a problem with fellows adding to the conversation when they have something pertinent to share on the subject matter. The problem seems to be that a handful of immature fellows drop by just to make rude comments or observations that do not add anything to the discussion. I'd hate to see the all fellows blocked from sharing in the forum as some of the fellows have have given me info that was important and helpful regarding material in the female forum. Perhaps those who drop by just to make crude comments could be barred from both reading and posting in the forum? I'm fairly sure VBulletin has the capability to make that happen.

Gaiter
05-17-2006, 19:18
What about dividing the female hiking forums into 3 sections: one only females can read and post to dealing w/ very sensitive/embarrasing issues, one females can post and anyone can read clothing and non-sensitive issues, and a third section that allows all to post and read good for guys needing the female advice.
Of Course that would make a lot sorting, but I think there should be at least a small section available for sensitive/embarrasing issues, there have a couple of questions i have wanted to post, but instead I just asked my doc. (both her and her daughter do a good bit of hiking) it would be nice to be able to get a wider range of female advice.

Hanna

mingo
05-17-2006, 20:38
maybe you should set up a transexuals only forum

attroll
05-18-2006, 05:56
The forums are open to everyone to read and post in right now. But the intention is for females to post and ask questions. Guys can participate as long as they stay on subject. But the major intention if to keep this for the females. That is the reason for the color change when in this forum so that you realize you are in the female forums.