PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to NYC

dmath010
06-29-2014, 20:08
I have a wedding to attend on Long Island roughly 8 weeks after I start south from Katahdin. Based on my planned daily mileage, I should be between Kent, CT and Unionville, NY (flexible based on answers to the following question). Where would be the best place to travel to NYC from that stretch? What modes of transportation? Thanks!

Old Grouse
06-29-2014, 20:43
That's easy. The AT crosses the Metro North tracks at Pawling. On a weekend you can board at the AT station, or on a weekday, just walk into Pawling to the station there. In about 1 hour you'll be at Grand Central Station.

Ricky&Jack
06-29-2014, 21:01
Well that was super easy.

Tuxedo
06-29-2014, 21:12
Bus to Port Authority from Bear Mt. 2-4 times a day and a few other between NY-CT and Bear Mt. http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/98/pough-nwbrg.pdf

Tuxedo
06-29-2014, 21:25
more links http://www.coachusa.com/info/shortline/ss.toolkit.pdfschedules.asp

Leanthree
06-29-2014, 21:47
Or there is a bus from Greenwood Lake, or the Metro North train from Harriman @ Rt 17 or Wingdale from the CT/NY border.

If you don't make it that far for whatever reason there is also a bus that heads south to NYC from Williamstown and hits trail towns Pittsfield, Great Barrington, Sheffield. Or if you are hiking fast you can get a 90 minute bus from DWG at the NJ/PA border. You are in good shape.

Honestly, post here a few days before you have to head to nyc and we can let you know you know your best bet. From Greenwood Lake @ NY/NJ border to Williamstown, MA there is a reasonably easy way into NYC every day or two of hiking.

GoldenBear
06-29-2014, 22:36
and I can give you help on the best way from that part to New York City.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101174-planes-trains-buses-public-transit-access-points-near-the-trail&p=1839605&highlight=#post1839605

NY HIKER 50
06-30-2014, 10:54
Be forewarned: There is no bus service in CT. any more along the trail. The closest is Sheffield, Ma. Along the way you can catch the train at Pawling Rather than waiting at the AT station since there is only service on weekends, or walk along rt.55/22 To Wingdale for the train. You would need to go to Route 20, turn left and follow it into town to the station. There is bus service in Warwick, NY. There is also bus and train service in Port Jervis, NY. Bus service is also at Bear Mountain, at Manitou for the train (weekends only) or go to Garrison for better service. NJ transit is at Rt. 17. You can also walk along rt. 301 in Fahrnstock 8 miles to Cold Spring. You can also get a train if you work it out to go to rt. 17 in Tuxedo or Sloatsburg.I'll be watching this so if you need any more info just let me know.

pistol p
06-30-2014, 21:09
I hitched into Peekskill from Bear Mountain (@4miles). Then took the train into NYC. Pretty wide open train schedule from Peekskill.

Another Kevin
07-01-2014, 10:41
By far the easiest way to NYC from Harriman is to stay on the Ramapo-Dunderberg Trail (red disc on white) near Fingerboard when the A-T branches off to go to the Elk Pen. The R-D trailhead is the Tuxedo train station. The last quarter mile is a blazed roadwalk. The R-D has nice views. (Which is why the A-T follows it for as long as it does. The R-D is older.) I'ts an easy ridge walk over a lot of whalebacks.