PDA

View Full Version : Maine leeches, how bad, what to do if you get one?

flemdawg1
06-30-2014, 13:35
Maybe I've seen that lake scene in Stand By Me too many times, but how bad are the leeches in the ponds along the Maine AT? I like to swim on warm days when I'm out hiking and I am going on a section hike there in August.

And what do I do if I get one (or more :eek:) on me? (poke w/ lit cig or lighter, just pull it off, stab it with knife)

Ricky&Jack
06-30-2014, 13:41
Screw leehes....

You need to watch out for the Trrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn n......

turtle fast
06-30-2014, 13:51
Leeches are not really a problem. Should you in the rare event get one, chances are it would be small and you just pull it off from the opposite side as they normally pull off well. If its tough and embedded well, then sprinkle a little salt on it and it will let go. You have more worries from ticks than any leeches.

T.S.Kobzol
06-30-2014, 14:01
yeah. there is nothing to do. cover the spot temporarily to allow coagulation take place.

Don H
06-30-2014, 14:09
Seems some ponds have leaches and others don't. I have no idea why.
Just pick 'em off!

Tuxedo
06-30-2014, 14:19
salt will fix that issue but not much chance of Stand by Me/The Body like swimming hole scene. The real fear would be a cloud of black flies this time of year, mosquito is the state bird and deet is a mere aperitif. Ticks can be bad during the high grass n weeds areas.

My biggest worry in ME is hikes on wet lichens covered rocks under foot of the trail. Shin slamfest, butt bounce, face-plant fun just waiting to happen.

rafe
06-30-2014, 14:30
I had a quick swim in Pierce Pond, just south of Caratunk. No problems.

imscotty
06-30-2014, 14:58
Leeches should be the least of your worries. Except for the ick factor, they really do not do much harm. In my experience they pull off rather easily. They have an anticoagulant in their saliva and the attachment site will bleed for a while. Never thought of it as being a big deal, it will stop after a while and what is left looks like a little hickey. The only time I've gotten leaches is if I wade around in muddy coves with lots of organic matter (leaves and such). If you stay in the cleaner, deeper parts you should have no problem.

Leaches are actually pretty sensitive to pollutants so if you swim in a pond with leaches that is a good sign that the water is pristine.

flemdawg1
06-30-2014, 15:37
Good to know. We don't have them down south (that I know of) and was a lil' worried.

Slo-go'en
06-30-2014, 16:38
I wouldn't know if it a problem or not, the ponds in Maine are too frigg'en cold to jump in any time of year! I waded in all the ponds along the AT in NJ and NY with out getting any leaches and that water was a lot warmer and muckier then any pond in Maine you'll come across.

peakbagger
06-30-2014, 17:01
They are around but generally only in ponds with a lot of litter in the bottom, usually if its sandy and in the sun in Maine its not an issue. Not an issue in streams

Rain Man
07-01-2014, 09:10
Leaches are actually pretty sensitive to pollutants so if you swim in a pond with leaches that is a good sign that the water is pristine.

Yep. I'd rather have the clean water with leeches, than a polluted, "dead" pond, any day.

If it helps, keep in mind that doctors used to use leeches, and I think maybe still do for some applications.

Rain:sunMan

Another Kevin
07-03-2014, 14:17
I've had a leech bite that gave me quite a painful rash around it. (Apparently, it's an allergic reaction.) Taking diphenhydramine 25-50 mg every six hours plus famotidine 20 mg twice a day for three days kept the pain and itching manageable. It's an off-label indication for the famotidine, but it worked for me.

I carry both drugs in my pack anyway. Benadryl is an antihistamine, an anitnauseal and a sleeping pill, and famotidine is useful for those occasions when my curry argues with my stomach.

imscotty
07-03-2014, 16:13
.... and famotidine is useful for those occasions when my curry argues with my stomach.

But it is so tasty, you eat it anyway :)

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-03-2014, 22:29
Yeah, the leeches in Maine are not something to worry about. I hardly saw any & if you do get one just scrape it off.

Could be worse..... you could live down here in Australia where the leeches live on land and hunt in packs !!! Nothing like stopping for a moment on a track & watching dozens of leeches heading for you ! It can make for some gory hiking !!

27641Saw this photo on a visitors blog

illabelle
07-04-2014, 05:46
Maybe I've seen that lake scene in Stand By Me too many times, but how bad are the leeches in the ponds along the Maine AT? I like to swim on warm days when I'm out hiking and I am going on a section hike there in August.

And what do I do if I get one (or more :eek:) on me? (poke w/ lit cig or lighter, just pull it off, stab it with knife)

flemdawg, thank you for asking about leeches. I saw them for the first time a couple years ago up north, and I'm still thinking EEEWWWWW! Snakes and skunks, mice and mosquitoes, bears and boars - those I understand (somewhat) - but leeches are bloodthirsty alien sneaks and they creep me out. :o