PDA

View Full Version : Food Bag- waterproof? rodent proof?

backpacker710
06-30-2014, 18:38
I've read a lot of the previous threads regarding food bags. It seems like people either go with a waterproof bag or a rodent proof bag. My question is if there are there any bags that are both waterproof and rodent proof? Also, does anyone uses both types in combination? I understand zpacks blast bag is somewhat "rodent resistant", but I've also read multiple instances of them being chewed through. In the past I've used a sea to summit dry sack without rodent problems, but never at a shelter and never for more than a few days at a time. My upcoming trip will last several months and I will mostly be staying at shelters, so I am hesitant to have a bag that isn't rodent proof. I am considering using a grubpack or ursack minor, but I will have dehydrated food stored in ziplock bags so using a bag that isn't waterproof makes me nervous. What are everyone's thoughts on keeping food dry and safe from rodents while staying at shelters?

shakey_snake
06-30-2014, 18:46
I have a grubpack, for only 4 oz it's really nice. finding things in it is easy, too.

If you're worried about water, an extra gallon ziploc or two around everything works alright.

BuckeyeBill
06-30-2014, 18:55
I use the Ursack Model 29 bear resistant bag. I figure everything everything will be in ziplock baggies so won't need waterproofing. The Model 29 comes with a large odor-proof Ziploc to put your smaller baggies into and making it everything double bagged. YMMV

Odd Man Out
07-01-2014, 01:01
The Zpacks Blast Food Bags are CF.
They are waterproof. Their web page claims it to be rodent resistant. Not sure if there have ever been a rigorous study of this claim.

Odd Man Out
07-01-2014, 01:01
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml
Here's the link.

daddytwosticks
07-01-2014, 07:13
I use an Ursak Minor and ensure all by food is protected by ziplock bags...sometimes double-bagged. Never had a problem with my food getting wet in this fashion. The Ursak Minor will take some time to dry out once wet since it is thick material. Never had a rodent get to my food since using an Ursak Minor the last several years. One of the best purchases I've made. :)

hikingshoes
07-01-2014, 08:49
I'm a Ursack Minor fan as well. Here is a test i did.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaXmBZiKlQ

Ktaadn
07-01-2014, 09:07
I'm also happy with my Ursack Minor. The material seems to be naturally waterproof/resistant but the top does not seal. Anyway, all of my food is sealed in it's original packaging or some sort of ziplock.

I'm not sure why you would be nervous about food in ziplock bags getting wet. :confused:

Violent Green
07-02-2014, 13:50
An Outsack and a waterproof bag is the only foolproof method of keeping your stuff dry and safe from critters. There is plenty of evidence on the internet showing that the Ursacks & cuben fiber are not mouse proof. Hanging your food is the next best option IMO.

Ryan

backpacker710
07-03-2014, 17:39
Thanks for the replies everyone! I went ahead and bought a ratsack since it came in the larger size I needed. I will vacuum seal my meals to ensure they don't absorb moisture and become rancid.

daddytwosticks
07-04-2014, 18:20
Thanks for the replies everyone! I went ahead and bought a ratsack since it came in the larger size I needed. I will vacuum seal my meals to ensure they don't absorb moisture and become rancid.I used a Ratsack for a while before I purchased the Ursak Minor. I punctured a hole in my Prolite 3 once while stuffing it into my pack right next to the Ratsack. Seems some of the chainmail (sic) loops came loose or broke and the little pokey parts poked a hole in my Prolite. :)

Wise Old Owl
07-04-2014, 22:17
There is a good chance that a young man in WB is working on a waterproof Compression sack that is cuben Fiber and after some teesting will be mose proof PM me if interested.

12trysomething
07-06-2014, 18:16
I recently started to use this with a Walmart dry bag...

http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsakul_paypal.html

I will update once it has some miles on it.

Theosus
07-08-2014, 16:45
I just use a regular green bag from the walmart camping section. Its somewhat water resistant. I hang it PCT style (thereby providing humor to those in my group who refuse to hang their food until my line is strung up - then they come running with their bags) and haven't had a bear or rodent problem, YET. I put all my stuff in ziplocks, and so far everything has been dry, even on days when I was soaked through.

QiWiz
07-11-2014, 06:30
I've read a lot of the previous threads regarding food bags. It seems like people either go with a waterproof bag or a rodent proof bag. My question is if there are there any bags that are both waterproof and rodent proof? Also, does anyone uses both types in combination? I understand zpacks blast bag is somewhat "rodent resistant", but I've also read multiple instances of them being chewed through. In the past I've used a sea to summit dry sack without rodent problems, but never at a shelter and never for more than a few days at a time. My upcoming trip will last several months and I will mostly be staying at shelters, so I am hesitant to have a bag that isn't rodent proof. I am considering using a grubpack or ursack minor, but I will have dehydrated food stored in ziplock bags so using a bag that isn't waterproof makes me nervous. What are everyone's thoughts on keeping food dry and safe from rodents while staying at shelters?

On the AT, I use an Ursack Minor (rodent proof) with an OPSAK liner (waterproof, and odor-reducing). This has worked well for me for years. In bear country I use a different system (hang, regular Ursack, or bear canister).

12trysomething
07-11-2014, 07:15
This is my latest attempt to solve the problem.

http://youtu.be/F20CJbwsH3Y