PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to RI - Newport County Weekend Ramble

Teacher & Snacktime
06-30-2014, 20:28
Alert - I've had to cancel these hikes due to a scheduling conflict. My apologies to those who've shown interest, but hopefully there will be a time in the future when we can reschedule.

Thanks for your understanding ! T & S
A few of us have been reminiscing about and sharing with others some of our favorite aspects of Snacktime's and my home state, Rhode Island. While Little Rhody is the only New England State through which the AT does NOT pass, still we have much to offer....as long as you're not looking for a view from anything higher than 812 ft.

Therefore, I'd like to invite any interested folks to come explore a small part of our small state: the predominantly rural/wooded area of Newport County (Tiverton specifically) for hiking, and Newport itself for enjoyment of the sun, the sea, and ogling the oppulance of the summer cottages of the Gilded Age.

Also, of course, to experience some of the culinary oddities that make RI what it is. So, is a short RI "section" in your futute? Let's make a weekend of it!

Newport County Weekend Ramble - Friday 9/12 thru Sunday 9/14

Tentative Schedule:

*Friday evening: Fort Barton Woods, Tiverton RI (easy 1.75 afternoon/evening hike with sunset view from observation tower)
(post-hike dinner to be determined)

Saturday: Weetamoo Woods, Tiverton RI (assorted easy trails for 5-10 miles w/ 1 nice little scramble)
picnic lunch, Gray's Ice Cream, dinner at Evelyn's Drive In http://www.evelynsdrivein.com/Welcome.html (http://www.evelynsdrivein.com/Welcome.html)

*Fort Barton Woods, Tiverton RI (easy 1.75 afternoon/evening hike with sunset view from observation tower)
(for those who want to fit this in but couldn't arrive before Sat.)

Sunday: Newport Cliff Walk, Newport RI (6-9 mi paved oceanfront stroll w/ return along Bellevue Ave)
dinner @ Perella's Ristorante, Warren, RI

Another Kevin
06-30-2014, 21:39
Get after me closer to the time! I'm still contemplating a thru-hike Lake Placid->Northville this year, and dates are not certain. I can't make it if I'm on trail elsewhere. But it sounds like fun!

Lone Wolf
06-30-2014, 21:45
let's take 3 days and do this

http://outdoors.htmlplanet.com/nst/nst_map00.htm

Teacher & Snacktime
06-30-2014, 22:15
I'm not adverse to the idea, LW....in fact I've researched this hike fairly extensively. I know it's not something I can do in 3 days, and as a thru hike it's a logistic nightmare. Plus I hate road hiking and the N/S trail still has 25-30 miles of it.....hot, unrelenting blacktop roads with no shoulders.

I can recommend the nine miles from Wood River Jct to Blue Shutters Beach SOBO, as Snacktime and I made a day hike of that last summer and had a wonderful finale at the beach.

Having said all this though, if you're game to come "home" for a few and try this out, I'll work out the logistics, hike some and support some too. Let me know when.

And pick up Mags on your way in.

rocketsocks
06-30-2014, 23:14
It's not likely I can make that, have 2 family members who's b-days are second and third weeks in Sept, but as the date nears...one never knows.

imscotty
07-01-2014, 16:28
Teacher - You know that I would be good for at least one of the days. September is a great time to be in Rhode Island. Looking forward to trying Evelyn's Drive In

Teacher & Snacktime
07-01-2014, 18:52
I figure folks can join however they like. I can help arrange accommodations for those who want to stay any overnights, and we'll work out times for the hikes themselves based on who's coming and when they can get there. Looking forward to seeing you Scotty :)

tiptoe
07-02-2014, 10:15
This sounds like fun, and I'll keep it in mind. Would it be possible to hang a hammock anywhere in the vicinity?

Teacher & Snacktime
07-02-2014, 11:09
my back yard....or there are a couple of camping places fairly nearby....I'll look into it for you (but I recommend my yard, as there are bathroom, water and food available :))

tiptoe
07-02-2014, 12:53
okay, thanks, Teacher.

naperica
08-10-2014, 21:01
Teacher, I am here in Barrington. I hope to make it to one of these hikes. I am looking for other female hiking partners, and this maybe is where I will find them!!!!!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-10-2014, 21:12
Or you could meet me on a bike path walk to start with. I'm in Warren. I'll PM my contact info, and maybe we can get together.

Another Kevin
08-10-2014, 22:16
I think the out-of-towners would be interested in finding out what the camping opportunities are. If this is "get a motel room and day-hike for a couple of days," that sounds like fun, too, but affects planning, of course.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-10-2014, 22:20
I'll find out what's available camping-wise, AK...but it's more than likely to be a motel situation. However, I've already offered my backyard to Tiptoe for setting up her hammock, so that's always an option. I'll research and post some info.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-14-2014, 12:09
Alert - I've had to cancel these hikes due to a scheduling conflict. My apologies to those who've shown interest, but hopefully there will be a time in the future when we can reschedule.

Thanks for your understanding ! T & S