PDA

View Full Version : Water between Swift Run Gap,VA and Rockfish Gap, VA

trailfinder
10-03-2005, 09:37
My friends and I will be backpacking from Swift Run Gap, VA to Rockfish Gap, Va in the Shenandoah National Park. The Thru-Hiker's Handbook gives the location of 12 water sources, 1 water spigot (at Simmons Gap) and 11 streams.

Anyone know the water condition of the streams between Swift Run and Rockfish Gap????

Thanks!

kncats
10-03-2005, 13:08
I haven't been up there recently so I can't answer specifically, but generally speaking the area has been extremely dry. I saw an article in the newspaper recently reporting that the Park isn't expecting the fall foliage season to be very colorful as the trees haven't had enough water. They are also very concerned about having a particularly bad forest fire season this fall. Many of the water sources in the southern section of the park are noted for going dry. Personally, I wouldn't feel very comfortable without carrying a LOT of water away from any source I found to be running. Perhaps some of the WB members that have been in the park recently can give a better report.

BigE
10-04-2005, 08:43
I hiked from Rockfish Gap (N-S) to Loft Mountain in early August - The spring at Blackrock hut was barely a trickle, and may be dry by now with the lack of rain we've had. As you're heading south, tank up at the Dundo Group camp between Loft Moutain and Blackrock. The Calf Mountain shelter spring was running good in August. Also . . if you stay at Blackrock Hut, watch your food. We were under siege by raccons all night there.

BigE

Cookerhiker
10-04-2005, 09:11
I maintain the 2.2 miles south from the Hightop Parking area on Skyline Drive to the side trail to Hightop Shelter. Having recently returned from a month-long section hike in Maine, I haven't visited my section since early August when the spring at the top of Hightop flowed sufficiently for water. However, I can attest that the last 6 weeks have been extremely dry. September's rainfall (more precisely, lack of rainfall) set a new record low for the month in the DC area. So I agree with kncats: bring plenty of water.

jlb2012
10-04-2005, 10:57
Unfortunately I have no recent knowledge of the springs and streams in the SD and so I would expect the worse and take extra water. On the other hand
IF the spring on top of Hightop still has water then it can't be too bad - that spring usually goes dry in bad years - I use that spring as a key indicator of how dry the year is - if that spring is dry I expect the spring down by Hightop hut to be slow to very slow and the spring at Pine Field hut to be dry and probably the spring at Blackrock Hut also - IF there is still water at the top of Hightop I would expect the water at the usual places to be OK to slow with the possible exception of the old shelter site in the Saw Mill run area.

Other notes - there is also water available at Dundo Group CG as well as Loft Mtn. CG - both of which are close to the AT in the South District. However this is not year round availability since it is turned off once the CGs close.

trailfinder
10-06-2005, 12:00
Thank you for the information!

jlb2012
10-06-2005, 13:13
one good thing - the forecast for the next couple days looks like heavy rain - this will help refresh the springs

MadAussieInLondon
10-06-2005, 15:16
no water between blackrock hut + calf mountain shelter (there is a trickle of a creek north of calf mountain).. about 8-10 miles of no water. calf mountain spring is also a dribble...

blackrock hut was a dribble. 10 minutes to fill my pot with water.

the SNP is VERY VERY dry right now.

this was two weeks ago...

Blissful
10-06-2005, 21:54
Anyone know how the water is in the northern section of SNP? (Pass Mountain and Gravel Springs?) We hope to section hike that part last weekend in October.

Thor
10-07-2005, 05:39
Anyone know how the water is in the northern section of SNP? (Pass Mountain and Gravel Springs?) We hope to section hike that part last weekend in October.
As I type this, heavy rains pound against the roof above me. The next three days call for more of the same, off and on. That should definitely replenish the water situation. Up until today we haven't had decent rain in months. Even 'never-dry' springs were drying up.

I have no idea if this will keep them running into late October or not, but I don't think much significant drying will be occurring between now and then. Directly between Pass Mountain and Gravel Springs, however, are Elkwallow Wayside and Matthew's Arm Campground. Both close on October 30th, to the best of my knowledge. They should be available for water refilling if needed.

jlb2012
10-07-2005, 08:15
Elkwallow Wayside is fairly close to the AT (~0.1 mile) but I thought Matthew's Arm CG was a good mile off of the trail

Thor
10-07-2005, 14:48
Elkwallow Wayside is fairly close to the AT (~0.1 mile) but I thought Matthew's Arm CG was a good mile off of the trail
The trail passes right near the entrance to Matthew's Arm, but yes, the entrance road is about a mile long, and the water fountains/pumps probably further than that.

I merely offer it in case Elkwallow is unavailable for some reason. The rain is still coming down anyway. I'd expect the springs to be flowing.

TAMBOURINE
10-08-2005, 14:14
I hiked from Rockfish Gap (N-S) to Loft Mountain in early August - The spring at Blackrock hut was barely a trickle, and may be dry by now with the lack of rain we've had. As you're heading south, tank up at the Dundo Group camp between Loft Moutain and Blackrock. The Calf Mountain shelter spring was running good in August. Also . . if you stay at Blackrock Hut, watch your food. We were under siege by raccons all night there.

BigEyes the coons are getting bad and sneaky up in the SNP:dance

TAMBOURINE
10-08-2005, 14:16

BigE sometimes @dudo the water takes a few to come and you have to play with the knob a little..

rainmaker
10-08-2005, 21:46
Madame and I hiked from Va.621 to Daleville last week and water was very scarce. We had planned to go on to US 521 but decided against it because of what can only be described as torrential if not Biblical downpours. That is why we are known as Ma & Pa Rainmaker. The springs should be OK for the rest of the year because we are planning to return later this month and finish our trip to Rockfish Gap. You can thank us later.

Old Hickory MH
10-08-2005, 23:44
Returned last week from doing the SNP south to north. Water was none existent from Rockfish gap to Calf Mountain, water was okay at shelter, slow but okay. Calf mountain to Blackrock was slim pickings and there are notices to warn all of that fact. Alternative water sites are given, and provided us with all we needed to get thru the section. Pinefield was dry as a bone and Hightop hut was barely a trickle, box spring 1/2 mile from hut was fine. The rest of the SNP was okay and I hope the recent rains help with the water situation
Old Hickory.............I'd rather die living life than live life dying.