PDA

View Full Version : Hiked June 21st through the 23rd 2014

Just Plain Jim
07-01-2014, 16:13
Our shuttle let us off at Hwy. 278 and we headed south 24 miles back to my truck. We surprised ourselves hiking 10 miles the first day and tented 100 yards from the shelter that we didn't know that we were near. The first day was very easy. Sunday was tough and we only could do 5 miles, stopped at 3 PM and sacked at 5 PM. We were both too tired to cook and just ate snacks. The 3rd day after 1 mile we came to a great stream and loaded ourselves and bottles with all of the water that we could carry. We thought, when we first started that we only had 20 miles which turned into 24 miles. I had heard and read that there was no water the last 8 miles and really dreaded it. I just took sips but realized that I would be empty for sometime before we made it. After about 4 miles my partner called out "water". It was a small spring, possibly from the huge rain from the day before. I put down a 1 gallon zip lock bag and was able to get about 2 quarts, which we filtered several times and drank our fill. The last 4 miles was uneventful until a storm hit us 15 minutes from the truck. we were soaked but that air condition sure felt great. It was a good hike even though we lost the trail several times on days 2 and 3. Some places, the weeds were over our heads. I brought home chiggers and ticks and Ray was covered with poison ivy because we brought our long pants into our tents. Can't wait till next time. Oh by the way both of us will hit 75 later this year. ........Just Plain Jim:p

Rain Man
07-01-2014, 19:00
Thanks fer tha report, JPJ! I look forward to seeing you on a trail again some day! Or, in Nashville. :)

Rain:sunMan

BuddyL
07-04-2014, 10:21
Glad you guys enjoyed that section of trail! I look forward to helping you again when your in the neighborhood!

BuddyL