PDA

View Full Version : DIY ... Storage tips for fire starter, spices, oils, etc

TrippLite
07-01-2014, 22:44
I've seen several different threads lately regarding storage ideas for oils, fire starter, spices, etc.. so I thought I would post this cool video I found on YouTube, many of you have probably already seen it as I first saw it several years ago.

I keep larger pieces of the cotton ball soaked with vaseline as a fire starter stored in my truck, car, boat, atv, survival bag.. For these fire starters, I used 1" round heat shrink instead of straw in case of any life dependent emergencies necessitating a source of fire... Heat shrink was free and had been sitting around for years, so I figured I would never use the tubing because of size and shelf life..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4

HighLiner
07-01-2014, 23:57
I've gotten lazy; I use my pocket rocket to start fires as it's so much easier and faster.

BuckeyeBill
07-02-2014, 02:55
Just remember that prescription medication must remain in its original package, bottle or how ever it came from the pharmacy. Law enforcement may give you a hard time if they find drugs stuffed into straws, as they may claim you had it packaged to sell. Better to be safe than sorry. I did like the little fishing kit he made and the fire starters.

skell23
07-02-2014, 21:59
Great information - thanks for posting!
Buckeye - I understand your concern and it is a valid point but LE would have a difficult time proving intent on that under these circumstances. And they would need a reason to search you pack to find them in the first place.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2014, 22:30
Leo's are far more focused on other stuff unless you carry a gun or a substance that you are not scripted for. I was stunned a few years back to find little knifes on the trail have large amounts of inconsistent state legislation on length. Honest let's move on and find something positive.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2014, 22:54
I've seen several different threads lately regarding storage ideas for oils, fire starter, spices, etc.. so I thought I would post this cool video I found on YouTube, many of you have probably already seen it as I first saw it several years ago.

I keep larger pieces of the cotton ball soaked with vaseline as a fire starter stored in my truck, car, boat, atv, survival bag.. For these fire starters, I used 1" round heat shrink instead of straw in case of any life dependent emergencies necessitating a source of fire... Heat shrink was free and had been sitting around for years, so I figured I would never use the tubing because of size and shelf life..

You can leave the cotton balls at home, the Survival aspect of hiking trails is more thinking and doing with less. This is more about hiking with a passion. A Leatherman Squirt mini knife taking a few twigs and make shavings in a down pour using oil laden pine stick will light when you remove the bark regardless of how wet it is. Hey if you still need a cotton ball in Vaseline fine... I am not here to sway you. Backpacking is doing with as little as you need with your big four. Mentally what are you going to do when it gets too cold or too hot or when you injure yourself or get sick. Stick to that and you will be fine...

Oh thanks for the video .... its interesting. Haven't considered this before.. I think the hooks will end up in the BB cap.

rafe
07-03-2014, 09:03
Birch bark makes a great fire starter. Back in the day when I carried a Zip stove, I'd always make a point of stuffing a handful in one of my pockets at some point in the afternoon or evening before arriving at camp.

rocketsocks
07-03-2014, 09:25
You can leave the cotton balls at home, the Survival aspect of hiking trails is more thinking and doing with less. This is more about hiking with a passion. A Leatherman Squirt mini knife taking a few twigs and make shavings in a down pour using oil laden pine stick will light when you remove the bark regardless of how wet it is. Hey if you still need a cotton ball in Vaseline fine... I am not here to sway you. Backpacking is doing with as little as you need with your big four. Mentally what are you going to do when it gets too cold or too hot or when you injure yourself or get sick. Stick to that and you will be fine...

Oh thanks for the video .... its interesting. Haven't considered this before.. I think the hooks will end up in the BB cap.
Man you sure like to pick and choose don't cha. too funny.

rocketsocks
07-03-2014, 09:28
Birch bark makes a great fire starter. Back in the day when I carried a Zip stove, I'd always make a point of stuffing a handful in one of my pockets at some point in the afternoon or evening before arriving at camp.
I love my zip stove, but man those puppy's are hungry...Voracious!

Damn Yankee
07-03-2014, 18:05
I keep a complete fire kit which includes cotton balls w/vasoline, char cloth, ferro rod/striker, matches and lighter. Each one serves a purpose and weight is minimal. Better prepared than not

rafe
07-03-2014, 18:11
I keep a complete fire kit which includes cotton balls w/vasoline, char cloth, ferro rod/striker, matches and lighter. Each one serves a purpose and weight is minimal. Better prepared than not

Call me naive, or lucky, but I've never needed to start an "emergency" fire. Ever. I figure it's the AT, not Jack London's Alaskan frontier.

Damn Yankee
07-04-2014, 06:51
Ok, you're naïve. Just kidding. Your right, I have never either on the AT but have started many fires on other camping trips(not emergency) just like the ability to do so. I just don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to carry something to start a fire if need be whether it is packaged to be UL or not. I guess it is up to the person who wants to carry and what to carry. Nothing better than a warm fire when you are soaking wet from rain and such and it's cool in the evening and want to warm up and dry clothes after all, there is no evaporation at night, right. Plus it is a moral booster.

Nutbrown
07-04-2014, 08:14
I have drier lint in a ziplock. I think it's about 10 years old... I'm a little afraid to open it if I ever do need it.

DLP
07-04-2014, 12:37
I think that hikers are like moms. Some moms are very crafty and will save all kind of mementos and they get a lot of satisfaction spending hours and hours organizing photos and band concert programs and kids' art work into scrap books. Other moms throw everything in a box. Either way works and is fine. Kids get raised either way.

I think that putting pepper and cotton balls into straws would appeal to crafty hikers who enjoy spending winter or time on such projects. I think that preppers really enjoy the prepping, no matter if the cotton balls are ever or never used. :)

The rest of us just dump some salt and pepper in snack sized ziplocks and don't really enjoy the organizing and craft projects.

Either works. It's all good.