PDA

View Full Version : Neat way to carry outfit in pack

centerfieldr162
07-01-2014, 23:00
Saw this online. Not sure if it's been posted before or not but I thought it was a pretty cool way to wrap up an outfit to store in your backpack. It seems to keep the outfit together well. Not too sure if it saves space or not since I haven't tried it for myself yet. Picture is attached

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/uteqytuz.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
07-01-2014, 23:05
that is cleaver. then you can fit all that into the leg of a pair of shorts.

I like it,

Venchka
07-01-2014, 23:20
I just crossed a cold stream. I need my spare pair of dry socks. I can...
Open a pocket. Retrieve my dry socks from their Ziploc bag. Done.
Or, I can unroll all my dry clothes to get to my dry socks. Then roll up my dry clothes. Replace in their Ziploc bag.
Hmmmmmm...

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

centerfieldr162
07-01-2014, 23:41
Or, I can unroll all my dry clothes to get to my dry socks. Then roll up my dry clothes. Replace in their Ziploc bag.
Hmmmmmm...

Wayne

I thought it was cool. Might not work for everyone. if I'm on a hike that I know and know there will be no water crossing and space in my pack is a priority, this would be a good option for me. If you know you might possibly encounter some water and don't want to take the extra seconds to do the unrolling then a ziploc bag definitely seems more practical. Just figured I'd share the idea

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

survivalisthiker
07-02-2014, 00:48
It's a military technique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
07-02-2014, 08:56
Hmmmmmm...

Wayne

But if you put your dry socks into wet boots you get wet socks again.

Ricky&Jack
07-02-2014, 09:19
plus....... I just thought of something.

You can use this method for your DIRTY clothes as well. To keep pack organized and to "compress" space.

mtntopper
07-02-2014, 14:30
[QUOTE=Venchka;1890892]I just crossed a cold stream. I need my spare pair of dry socks. I can...
Hmmmmmm...

Take off your socks before you cross the stream. Just saying!

Ricky&Jack
07-02-2014, 15:46
[QUOTE=Venchka;1890892]Take off your socks before you cross the stream. Just saying!

Im still looking at maps and trying to figure out where crossing a steam is mandatory on the A.T. lol

CalebJ
07-02-2014, 16:10
You would have some in Maine this time of year.

rafe
07-02-2014, 16:30
[QUOTE=mtntopper;1891012]

Im still looking at maps and trying to figure out where crossing a steam is mandatory on the A.T. lol

Eh, what's that? It happens a lot -- depending on weather, time of year, etc. Some streams are bigger than others. Happened to me just this last weekend, coming down off Moosilauke on the west side. There's a wide stream (Oliverian Brook,) in view of the road and the trailhead, that you must cross. There's no bridge, and no arrangement of rocks to hop over. Seeing as how my hike was about over, I just waded in with trail shoes and socks and that was that. Walking in wet shoes and socks happens too, it's not the end of the world.

If it's not a stream, it might just be a boggy or flooded portion of trail, a bog bridge that's out, etc.

The "Hundred Mile Wilderness" has a few of the better known stream crossings. They can be wild early in the season, but by late summer or early fall they're fairly tame.

And then of course there's the Kennebec. ;)

Ricky&Jack
07-02-2014, 16:38
i learn something new. I figure it was all dirt trail and the water crossings were more or less blue blazed.

good to know.

rafe
07-02-2014, 16:52
There are literally thousands of stream crossings on the AT. Hundreds of creeks, and a few dozen major rivers. 99 times out of 100 there's a bridge, or the stream is such that you can hop across, or hop from rock to rock. Many of the smaller streams are highly seasonal -- they may be a torrent in the spring, or after rain, or they may be totally dry late in the season, or in a drought. It's fairly rare when you have to ford such a stream, but it happens.

There's a fairly major river in Maine (the Kennebec) with no bridge for the AT. Prior to 1986 it was necessary to ford that river, but a hiker drowned while trying -- since then the ATC has provided a free shuttle service (via canoe) across the Kennebec.

Lyle
07-02-2014, 17:24
[QUOTE=mtntopper;1891012]

Can encounter water many places. In 2006, June, Pennsylvania the trail was mid calf deep in water for many miles. In fact had to do several, multi-mile detours because the trail was about five feet deep in water. Just south of Rausch Gap Shelter, the "trail" was waist deep, with an uneven and very rocky bottom. 2006 was a very wet year in PA.

Last summer, the trail was flooded along the Housatonic River in MA, often knee deep. If you do any long distance hike in the east, you WILL be fording trail or streams at some point, count on it.

DLP
07-02-2014, 19:21
It's a military technique That was my first thought.

Is this technique for the outfit you are already wearing? Like you come to a stream crossing and take off all your clothes and roll them up and put them in your backpack and cross the stream naked? :D Or maybe this is for June 21ish (Hike Naked Day)?

Otherwise, I am woefully unprepared for trail date night and I don't have an extra, spare outfit. (If you are looking to lose pack pounds/oz... the spare outfit is a great place to start).

But thanks for posting this and I will try it for a suitcase and see if I can get more in... or see if it keeps the clothes more unwrinkled.

DLP
07-02-2014, 20:45
I just tried this... and it worked ok for the very first day when you are leaving your house with all clean clothes.

I usually try and rinse out my socks at night. In the morning, I would be taking my (mostly) clean and very DRY sleeping shirt and wrapping them in my damp socks. Or if I couldn't rinse out my socks, I'd be wrapping my clean-ish shirt and balling it up inside of dirty socks. I really don't want to sleep in a shirt that stinks like my feet. :D I think this is one of those clever things that seem really good online, but not so good in practice.

Not to mention, I don't even match up socks at home. :)

Hang in there! Get out there more and have fun and actually try different stuff! And who knows... maybe the shirt wrapped in socks thing will work fabulous for you. :)

kayak karl
07-02-2014, 20:55
im going to store my backup clothes in truck for work this way.

MuddyWaters
07-02-2014, 21:36
Outfit?

The plan falls apart if you need to change your socks, literally.

Venchka
07-02-2014, 21:49
I just tried this... and it worked ok for the very first day when you are leaving your house with all clean clothes.

I usually try and rinse out my socks at night. In the morning, I would be taking my (mostly) clean and very DRY sleeping shirt and wrapping them in my damp socks. Or if I couldn't rinse out my socks, I'd be wrapping my clean-ish shirt and balling it up inside of dirty socks. I really don't want to sleep in a shirt that stinks like my feet. :D I think this is one of those clever things that seem really good online, but not so good in practice.

Not to mention, I don't even match up socks at home. :)

Hang in there! Get out there more and have fun and actually try different stuff! And who knows... maybe the shirt wrapped in socks thing will work fabulous for you. :)

There it is. Well said DLP.
in The Gospel according to Colin Fletcher re: clothes: Only carry as much as you can wear in you sleeping bag on the coldest night you anticipate.
The technique has merit. Like in a carryon when flying.

Ps: The water was cold. The stream wide. My socks needed a good soaking. I changed to my camp/river fording sandals. Hiking footgear tied to my pack. On the far bank I put on dry shoes and socks and hung my wet things to dry on my pack. Multitasking.

Wayne

DLP
07-02-2014, 22:42
My hiking shoes smell like vomit on and off (don't know why :( ). The more I think about it, wrapping my sleeping shirt in my socks is sounding worse and worse.

rocketsocks
07-03-2014, 03:12
im going to store my backup clothes in truck for work this way.
Now I like that idea, Brilliant!