PDA

View Full Version : Goose down quilt smell

wi11ow
07-02-2014, 02:04
I have a very soft, light weight goose down top quilt from Hammock Gear and I love it...except it smells awful. I hung it up for a full month to air out before ever camping with it and still it smells like chemicals and wet dog. I camped for two nights with it and still it smells. Its never been even close to damp. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell without ruining the quilt?

Tuxedo
07-02-2014, 02:35
you can washed down basically the down I've had wash it in a front loader washing machine with powder detergent and a pinch of the corner Fels-Naptha bar. Dry in the industrial dryer on low heat with a pair of shoes or 3 weighted balls. Always comes out better then new for me.

Tuxedo
07-02-2014, 02:55
the mfg has extensive instructions on this http://www.hammockgear.com/clean-instructions/

I have 2 Ralph Lauren Comforters(cotton shell) and have 2 Marmot down sleeping bags(poly shell) that Ive done above instructions to. However Ive never had a smell issue as the reason to clean them.

BuckeyeBill
07-02-2014, 02:59
A little fabreeze might help since you said it had never been wet or damp. just lightly spray it and see of that helps.

Old Grouse
07-02-2014, 06:30
I bought a used JRB quilt that reeked of cigarette smoke. I washed it with Nikwash down cleaner-problem solved.

ladydi
07-02-2014, 16:08
I like Atsko Sport Wash for down and for all my performance clothing. I generally use an extra rinse or more for down things. Much cheaper than Nikwax, too.

Berserker
07-03-2014, 12:25
Nikwax in front loader. I'm just curious as to why your quilt smells this bad. I have had several down sleeping bags, and none of them ever smelled bad until they got at least a few months of use on them.

wi11ow
07-04-2014, 01:39
Thanks for all the washing advice. I actually contacted the manufacturer and they said they did have a batch of particularly smelly down and are going to remake my quilt for me. I will keep in mind all the cleaning methods though for future use. Thanks again!

BrockLeigh
07-06-2014, 17:37
Wow, that's service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk