PDA

View Full Version : NJ - Oil City Road / State Line Road walk near Wallkill River

somers515
07-02-2014, 08:03
I've section hiked almost all of the NJ AT. It has some absolutely wonderful hiking, the views of the Delaware near Mt. Tammany, Sunfish Pond, High Point, the Pochuck suspension bridge and boardwalks, to the NY/NJ border and its views of Greenwood Lake etc. etc. Amazing. The one part that I disliked was the 3/4 mile road walk along Oil City Road or State Line Road between Unionville and the Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge. If you look on a map it appears that it would make more sense for the AT to just go compass west from Wallkill and keep the AT in the woods rather than on a road. Is there anything that can be done to improve this small section of the AT? Should I just write a letter to the NY/NJ trail conference? The ATC?

Also second question, are there other road walks like this over a 1/2 mile long on the AT in other states that seem out of place?

rafe
07-02-2014, 08:26
I agree with you about that roadwalk. It's a narrow road with blind corners. I did it in the AM and was a bit perturbed by commuters speeding by at insane speeds. I will gladly sign that letter...

FWIW I'm hoping to join up with NYNJTC work crew this coming weekend.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103674-Work-Weekend-BBQ-in-NY-at-RPH&highlight=bascom+grillmaster

somers515
07-02-2014, 15:57
Encouraged by rafe I wrote an email to the NY/NJ Trail Conference and got a quick and informative response. How cool is that. I've been very impressed with the NYNJTC and the ATC. I guess I should have assumed they were working on it. Here is their response to this question:

"At the moment we’re working with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to route the trail off the road and across the Wallkill River. A bridge has been in the plans for quite some time now, but there’s still some land use concerns that are being ironed out at this very moment. With any luck the trail will continue through Wallkill at some point in the near future."

rocketsocks
07-02-2014, 21:49
Encouraged by rafe I wrote an email to the NY/NJ Trail Conference and got a quick and informative response. How cool is that. I've been very impressed with the NYNJTC and the ATC. I guess I should have assumed they were working on it. Here is their response to this question:

"At the moment we’re working with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to route the trail off the road and across the Wallkill River. A bridge has been in the plans for quite some time now, but there’s still some land use concerns that are being ironed out at this very moment. With any luck the trail will continue through Wallkill at some point in the near future."
Good for you, it really dose pay to inquire, I to am now motivated to move on a few irons I have in the fire, thanks.

...and that's how that works folks. :sun