PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail: Shelters to avoid?

JoeHiker
10-03-2005, 12:40
As I recall from other threads, the Gov Clement shelter is frequented by locals and is definitely one to avoid. Any other Long Trail shelters (on the AT section or off) that I should steer clear of when I do my LT end-to-end?

Sly
10-03-2005, 13:30
Something wrong with Vermont locals? YMMV, but I had some/one bring me pizza, beer and/or treats nearly every other day!

JoeHiker
10-03-2005, 13:35
Something wrong with Vermont locals? YMMV, but I had some/one bring me pizza, beer and/or treats nearly every other day!
I've heard more than a few stories of some overly rowdey locals in that shelter. It seems to be famous as one to avoid. Just wondering if that was the case in any others.

It need not be local people. Are there any where the mice are particularly bad? Any that leak, any with skunks, bears, etc?

Just wondering

excitedidiot
06-18-2007, 09:52
I met three guys who stayed at gov. clement this year. The "locals" were apparently quite proud that the long trail guide advises hikers to avoid it. The hikers said they were carrying guns and played loud music all night. So, i'd avoid it.

I just got back from my LT E2E and I didn't have a problem with any shelter, but you may want to avoid the pay shelters on weekends and holidays, as they tend to be more used.

--ryan

Chef2000
06-18-2007, 12:19
The new Bromley shelter is great.

Willyo
06-28-2007, 09:37
As I recall from other threads, the Gov Clement shelter is frequented by locals and is definitely one to avoid. Any other Long Trail shelters (on the AT section or off) that I should steer clear of when I do my LT end-to-end?

You don't actually come into contact with any rowdy folks @ Seth Warner but it is very loud in the area on weekends - dirtbikes,fireworks etc. - I've experienced this myself and heard it from others --

Water @ Melville Naum is crappy - Continue any easy three miles north and refill on water @ the brook - There are then many nice established tent sites along the trail prior to Goddard/Glastonbury if you can't make it all the way to Goddard that day (which is an awesome shelter with outstanding water)

Spruce Peak is enclosed and therefore prone to rodents --- i did here this second hand from someone who is the pied piper of the trail however - i think he would experience rodent issues in a hammock. He also said the douglas shelter prior to there is not that nice - in addition to being a mile RT off the trail.

-will

stranger
04-05-2008, 03:17
Gorham Lodge on Camels Hump is infested with mice and also the Birch Glen Camp has heaps of mice as well, that might havebeeb replaced by now

Peaks
04-05-2008, 07:02
Gorham Lodge on Camels Hump is infested with mice and also the Birch Glen Camp has heaps of mice as well, that might havebeeb replaced by now

I think it's now the former Gorham Lodge. Heavy snows pushed it out of shape a few years ago and it has been removed.

Yahtzee
04-05-2008, 07:28
Quick note on shelters on the VT. The shelters with caretakers that charge a fee don't reside in the nicest shelters but in the most convenient locations for the caretaker to get on and off the trail. Had to get a ridgerunner to explain that to me and my crew after we encountered caretakers at some of the crappiest shelters on the LT, while the excellent shelters were free.

That said, besides Clement I can't think of another shelter I would avoid unless I was feeling particularly cheap that day.

wilconow
04-05-2008, 08:58
look at what the gmc wrote here

Quoddy
04-05-2008, 09:07
Last August I observed the following which were mentioned in one way or another above.

Avoid Gov. Clement - I tented nearby and didn't have a problem, but the shelter, which years ago must have been the showpiece of the trail, it quite run down now. If you're in the area at the end of the day, the Secret Shelter is about 1.5 miles south.

Caughnawaga - CLOSED... This small shelter is unsafe and is literally falling down. Very close to Kid Gore.

Gorham Lodge - Gone for quite some time.

Birch Glen - I spent an enjoyable night there in a heavy rainstorm. Outstanding privy art, don't miss it... really.

Douglas - Spent a night there when I had a minor leg problem and decided not to go on to Spruce Peak. Other than being a half mile off trail it wasn't too bad. I ended up tenting since there were four hikers and a dog already there. This is not a usual planned LT stop and is used mainly by hikers on another trail.

Boyce - In a dry period the water is non-existent.

Skyline - A beautiful shelter, but the small spring dries up by mid to late summer. You'll need a good filter to use the water from the pond.

Lost Pond - Not rebuilt, yet, since being burnt down a second time. Tenting is still an option if you decided not to go on to Big Branch.

Cooper Lodge - On it's last legs.

Have a great hike. The northern section is fantastic.

wilconow
04-05-2008, 09:16
oh yeah, I forgot about the Secret Shelter. Very nice place

joehiker22
09-20-2009, 19:42
Last August I observed the following which were mentioned in one way or another above.

Avoid Gov. Clement - I tented nearby and didn't have a problem, but the shelter, which years ago must have been the showpiece of the trail, it quite run down now. If you're in the area at the end of the day, the Secret Shelter is about 1.5 miles south.

Caughnawaga - CLOSED... This small shelter is unsafe and is literally falling down. Very close to Kid Gore.

Gorham Lodge - Gone for quite some time.

Birch Glen - I spent an enjoyable night there in a heavy rainstorm. Outstanding privy art, don't miss it... really.

Douglas - Spent a night there when I had a minor leg problem and decided not to go on to Spruce Peak. Other than being a half mile off trail it wasn't too bad. I ended up tenting since there were four hikers and a dog already there. This is not a usual planned LT stop and is used mainly by hikers on another trail.

Boyce - In a dry period the water is non-existent.

Skyline - A beautiful shelter, but the small spring dries up by mid to late summer. You'll need a good filter to use the water from the pond.

Lost Pond - Not rebuilt, yet, since being burnt down a second time. Tenting is still an option if you decided not to go on to Big Branch.

Cooper Lodge - On it's last legs.

Have a great hike. The northern section is fantastic.
updates:
gov. clement: ok to use now, a gate has been installed on the dirt access road, so hicks can't drive up in trucks/dirtbikes/atvs and build bonfires/drink liquour/shoot guns/shoot fireworks
beautiful shelter, predates the at
masonry being repaired/repaired

lost pond: rebuilt, really nice

cooper: still kicking along, not really a nice place to stay

Caughnawaga/gorham: both long gone

elray
09-20-2009, 19:56
That's good news! Stayed there (gov. clement) one night several years ago after a long day despite the warnings and had a good sleep. It's a beautiful old structure and should be saved at all costs if possible. Same goes for Cooper Lodge.

celt
09-20-2009, 20:48
updates:

Caughnawaga/gorham: both long gone

Actually Caughnawaga was only removed recently, but gone is gone. After Gorham was removed in 2001 the GMC built the Bamforth Ridge Shelter nearby and it is a very nice cedar log lean-to.

I remember the Theron Dean Shelter near Mad River Glen being very nasty, tiny place and I just read the GMC will close it for renovations this month.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203

Lone Wolf
09-20-2009, 20:54

guns, pick-ups and beer don't make 'em bad folks. thru-hiker types are too stuffy and anal

JoeHiker
09-21-2009, 11:06
guns, pick-ups and beer don't make 'em bad folks. thru-hiker types are too stuffy and anal

I never said it made them bad folks. I just said it might make the shelter one that thru-hikers might want to avoid.

When I'm hiking long, I like to sleep at night. I'm "stuffy and anal" that way.

JoeHiker
09-21-2009, 11:07
updates:
gov. clement: ok to use now, a gate has been installed on the dirt access road, so hicks can't drive up in trucks/dirtbikes/atvs and build bonfires/drink liquour/shoot guns/shoot fireworks
beautiful shelter, predates the at
masonry being repaired/repaired

lost pond: rebuilt, really nice

Lost pond was rebuilt? That's nice. Two years ago on a section hike I hammocked there and there was no shelter. I'll probably stop by there again in October when I do a long weekend hike.

I hope nobody burns it down this time.

Sleepy the Arab
09-21-2009, 18:54
Lost pond was rebuilt? That's nice. Two years ago on a section hike I hammocked there and there was no shelter. I'll probably stop by there again in October when I do a long weekend hike.

I hope nobody burns it down this time.

Oddly, after every successful thru-hike of mine, Lost Pond Shelter burned down not long after. I'm at odds over whether I should thru-hike again....

Papa D
09-07-2010, 20:12
Just finished an end to end in July - we did it in 25 days with 2 zeros - we tented about 35% and sheltered about 65% - of the shelters we stayed in, our favorites were Stratton Pond, Clarendon (great tenting), Cooley Glen (good tenting) Glen Ellen Lodge, Duck Brook (just for the swimming hole), Puffer, and Taft Lodge - our least favorites were Sunrise Shelter (cramped, bad tenting) and Hazen's Notch (cramped, bad tenting, tricky water). Hope that helps - Papa D, LT '10

Papa D
09-07-2010, 20:15
Saw Sleepy the Arab's post above - we never caught up to you - always one day behind - chased you for 25 days - followed your posts all the way - I was saddened by your post at Journey's End Shelter - I think you hurt some feelings with that one - you were my hero until then. LOL - Papa D LT' 10

pedxing
09-12-2010, 17:20
I really can't think of any shelters to definitely avoid. Govenor Clements has been rehabbed very nicely - in '07 I had planned to stay there, but it was in terrible shape and looked like a trashed out drinking spot. Road access cut off through September 15, so it might be a place to avoid in the Fall.

If you are in a hurry or want to conserve energy, you might want to avoid the shelters that are well off the trail. For example - I stayed at Buchanan and Glen Ellen this year out of curiosity. Both are very nice shelters but are about 1/3 of a mile downhill from the trail. If starting your day heading uphill to get back to where you started is an issue, then I'd skip these. Douglas and Beaver Meadow are even further off the trail.

You might also want to avoid the fee shelters if your budget is tight.

Jeff
09-12-2010, 19:12
Shelters are nice to meet folks and get water but I avoid them for a good nights sleep. Try the (small) campsite just north of Baker Peak. Enjoy a wonderful sunset and great views of the valley below.

Dahoyt
05-28-2013, 11:06
where is the secret shelter!?

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 12:55
where is the secret shelter!?

I believe it's south of the Gov. Clement Shelter. I considered going there on my SOBO hike but Gov. Clement looked OK (better than expected) so I stayed there. It's been a while but someone told me that hiking south, you come to an old Forest Service dirt road, turn left, and it was somewhere off there on a side trail.

But my memory may be playing tricks with me.:o

coach lou
05-28-2013, 13:06
Congdon camp is infested with mice.........bring your cat!

Dogwood
05-28-2013, 13:20
LT - excellent trail to hammock so you can avoid most(all?) shelters. Same old same old. Shelters where folks can easily walk or drive/ride to tend to have a higher incidence of getting trashed. And, shelters that are heavily used by hikers also can get beaten up. At one time Gov Clement(this has been addressed with recent improvements), Cooper Lodge, some of the pay for huts on Mansfield(MICE?), etc

Here's a site with info and pics of LT Shelters that I've used. Be mindful of the dates of these pics and info. For example Gov Clement has been improved since the pic. Also info about the Swansong Shelter(Secret Shelter) on PRIVATE LAND(RESPECT THAT!). IMHO BEST time to thru the LT is in the Fall somewhere in late Sept - Nov. Cmon a little snow just makes it more scenic and less(NOT?) crowded. Little exposure on Camel Hump and Mt Mansfield though. Lots of well worth short loops OFF THE LT on Mt Mansfield alone. PLEASE NOT ADVISABLE going over CH and MM with a dog! Hiking down/up apparatus with a dog IN YOUR ARMS is what you would have to do.

Dogwood
05-28-2013, 13:21
http://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-the-long-trail-vermont/shelters/

Nar Nar
05-28-2013, 18:24
Maybe I will bring my cat when I stay there next month :-?
But I'll be in the hammock so I need not worry.

GreenTurtle
10-21-2013, 04:34
There's a "not very secret" shelter located on the shores of Ritterbush Pond. A couple of them, in fact! The place looked positively trashed, though, by locals who prefer to party overnight rather than sleep. The lake is gorgeous and well worth a visit, but I actually preferred to camp near the shoreline well away from the shelters. (Good thing too--a bunch of nosy partiers showed up long after dark. It would have been a miserable night had we actually tried to stay in the shelter.) It's about a mile north of Spruce Ledge Camp. You can actually see one of the shelters from the lookout there, in fact.

-- Ryan

Deacon
10-21-2013, 06:26

I stayed there on 7/20 this year, slept on a lower bunk, and didn't see or hear any mice. Go figure.

coach lou
10-21-2013, 09:02
When I was there last fall....they were like the flying Walendas..........they were jumping off the tuna cans onto my food bag....trying to get at Overloads Cheesecake. That is the time I used it as a pillow! I smacked one off the bag with my pole and it went splat on the wall....and then ran into the wall. The other 2 did a pull-up back on the tuna can and took off into the rafters!

Slo-go'en
10-21-2013, 11:29
There's a "not very secret" shelter located on the shores of Ritterbush Pond. A couple of them, in fact! The place looked positively trashed, though, by locals who prefer to party overnight rather than sleep. -- Ryan

Those would be, or were, privetly owned "camps". The Ritterbush shetler (actually a cabin or lodge as the GMC likes to call them) used to be located near the pond, 1/2 mile or so north of Devil's gultch. I once spent a good hour looking for that cabin which I knew for a fact should be "right here", not knowing it had been taken down and the Spruce Ledge shelter built to replace it. So much for using a 20 year old guide book from my early days in Vermont!

Blissful
10-23-2013, 21:55
Just take your tent and avoid them all. :)

R1ma
10-25-2013, 12:12
When I hiked over Killington and Pico this spring, Cooper was trashed. Skiing stickers and trash everywhere. That's what happens when it's that close to the chair lifts.

I'm sure it's better later in the season though.