PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap, NC Questions

AO2134
07-03-2014, 12:52
Anyone drive and park at Deep Gap, NC? Is it relatively safe to leave your care there for 3-4 nights? Has anyone actually driven to that parking lot? If so, how would you describe it? Can an idiot :confused: in a 04 Grand AM drive safely to that parking lot? How does it compare to the forest roads to Springer Mountain Parking lot? I made it up there, but it was a little rough on car.

Planning section hike. Springer to Deep Gap, NC. As alternative, I may use Hiker's Hostel to pick me up and blue ridge gap and back hike 10 miles.

As always guys, thank you.

John

AO2134
07-03-2014, 13:18
I mean "Deep Gap"* Sorry.

Tennessee Viking
07-03-2014, 15:50
I have only day hiked to Standing Indian but I have driven back to Deep Gap in a Chevy Cavaliar with no problems.

Many suggest parking down at the campground if you are going to be a while. But I never heard any problems at Deep Gap.

Winding Stair you definitely want to avoid overnight parking since it is highly visible.

daddytwosticks
07-03-2014, 15:50
Was dropped off there in April for a hike, no problem. In the past, I've left my car there for up to three days, no problem also. It's remote and out of the way, so not easy for vandals to get to. I once drove a low-slung Scion xD down that road safely. In my opinion, it's like the Forest Service road to Springer. If you are a city slicker, it may freak you out. Me, I'm used to driving on narrow winding county dirt roads. :)

chiefiepoo
07-03-2014, 16:11
You ought to be good unless you're sagging a tail pipe, muffler, or front air dam. From last year I remember a few uneven spots that might snag a low hanging component. Take some bailing wire. It is remote and I have left vehicles there. Never a problem with vandalism.

RFD110
07-03-2014, 17:04
We left a vehicle at Deep gap last summer for a week. Had no problems other than a dead battery.

captike
07-03-2014, 17:26
I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. We parked our truck there for a week last year and had absolutely no problems. The road to get it is rather long and windy. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to get to the trail from US 64.

AO2134
07-03-2014, 18:25
Thanks everyone. This gives me more confidence for my section hike.

saltysack
07-03-2014, 22:28
Better off at campground or back country kiosk....hike few more miles to glassmine gap down to BC kiosk...left my ride there several times wo a prob and easy to get to...even in winter w snow. & ice ....but I drive a taco 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Haven
07-04-2014, 02:41
Anyone drive and park at Deep Gap, NC? Is it relatively safe to leave your care there for 3-4 nights? Has anyone actually driven to that parking lot? If so, how would you describe it? Can an idiot :confused: in a 04 Grand AM drive safely to that parking lot? How does it compare to the forest roads to Springer Mountain Parking lot? I made it up there, but it was a little rough on car.

Planning section hike. Springer to Deep Gap, NC. As alternative, I may use Hiker's Hostel to pick me up and blue ridge gap and back hike 10 miles.

As always guys, thank you.

JohnI have never heard of anything happening. That is patoled regular by the forest service,

minda
07-04-2014, 20:48
I walked - don't ask - the entire forest service road to Deep Gap just a few weeks ago. It is in much better shape than the one going to Springer. For most of the road, it is a single lane so you will need to be careful. There were a few cars that I noticed had been there for several days (from a Wednesday to a Friday that I know of) and they didn't have signs of vandalism. Luckily, there are trash bins right at the parking lot. I've noticed that when I leave my car at a trailhead that doesn't have trash bins, hikers feel the need to stuff their trash (to include odd bits of clothing and yoga mats!) Under the tires.