PDA

View Full Version : Worst AT terrain?

JumpMaster Blaster
07-03-2014, 21:43
Kinda curious as to what people thought was the worst kind of terrain on the trail. On my last section hike, I encountered a combination of jagged rocks jutting up from the ground at 90 degree angles, furniture sized boulders, tree roots, grassy paths through the balds where the footpath was only 7" wide, fist sized rocks that dared me to set my foot down, parts where the trail hadn't been cut away and it seemed like you were bushwhacking through, and combinations of roots, rocks, and water.

After rolling my ankles pretty badly on the fist sized rocks AND the grassy areas where the trail is dug 6" down with overgrown grass on each side (making it impossible to see how the ground falls off), I vote these as the WORST trail terrain. Beartown Mountain gets a respectable third with its overgrown trail encroachment.

DavidNH
07-03-2014, 21:53
Mahoosic Notch has to be right up there. Climbing around between over and under boulders! Then there's the places like the Kinsmans and a spot on Carter Ridge where you haul yourself up a vertical rock wall with the aid of a couple branches. South of all that the terrain is not so bad except where it's really steep. Like in North Carolina, and the damn pebbly rocks in eastern PA that destroy hikers boots!

Old Hiker
07-03-2014, 22:01
Has to be those sidewalk-flat areas just north of Thomas Knob shelter. The ones with the mud puddles. The slippery mud puddles.

See my avatar. Nuff' said.

MuddyWaters
07-03-2014, 22:16
I think when the trail is underwater, that is the worst kind of terrain.

Kingbee
07-03-2014, 23:54
Worst terrain so far in my sections has been NB going down Mt. Garfield in the rain. 1,000 ft. in 1/2 mile.

WingedMonkey
07-04-2014, 09:44
The horse beaten AT in GSMNP and the hiker beaten AT in the Whites.

I've been back to both parks a few times and make an effort to stay off the AT and on less beaten trails.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2014, 10:34
Having hiked for years in New England, when I finally started hiking in the south all I could think was "Wow, the trail down here is really easy".

Another Kevin
07-04-2014, 13:31
Worst in what sense? I'd incline to putting the "worst" label on some of the easy stretches, where the trail is more or less flat (if it's covered with irregular rock, so much the worse), there's nothing to see for miles, and when you do see something other than rocks and trees, it looks like the exact same tidy little farm that you saw two miles back.

Although I admit that I don't appreciate it much when the trail breaks the promise that, "the stream has fewer bootprints and more trout, while with the trail it's the other way around."

Mahoosuc Notch? The Wildcats? Beaver Brook? How can those be the "worst" stretches when they're so much fun to do?

No Directions
07-04-2014, 14:01
Asphalt and concrete. Whenever the trail goes through a town or crosses a highway.

jeffmeh
07-04-2014, 14:10
Having hiked for years in New England, when I finally started hiking in the south all I could think was "Wow, the trail down here is really easy".

I share your sentiment, as do many of my hiking brethren who grew up hiking the Whites. That extends to many of the high peaks in the west also, although dealing with altitude is another matter altogether.

Cookerhiker
07-04-2014, 14:32
.... That extends to many of the high peaks in the west also, although dealing with altitude is another matter altogether.

I addressed that subject in the book, postulating that aside from acclimation to high elevation, no part of the Colorado Trail could be as difficult as the White Mountains and the southwestern portion of Maine. That was my pre-hike hypothesis and my post-hike conclusion! Some westerners are askance when I mention that. All I can say is go to New England with your backpack and experience it yourself, then report back to me.:D

tiptoe
07-04-2014, 14:34
Yes, the trail is very nice in Virginia: switchbacked and mostly smooth. On my recent southbound section, I really had to laugh when northbound thrus warned me of upcoming "rocky" sections. The first time it happened, I was expecting boulders, but what I saw wasn't a big deal at all.

cwhitt7
07-28-2014, 20:11
I just got done hiking the 100MW (from mile marker 117....do the math??) and it was by far the hardest (most technical) terrain I've seen on the AT. Down south it is nothing to knock out 20-25 mile days but in the Barren-Chairback range we literally had to plan EVERY SINGLE STEP. That whole state is nothing but rocks, boulders, and roots! We did it in 5.5 days (including a summit of Katahdin) and were beat to a bloody pulp. If it weren't for two 25-mile days in the flats after chairback/white mountain, we'd have missed our flights back. That was the hardest 5.5 days of my life. We literally were on the trail by 5:30am and hiked until dark everyday (we did take breaks, though). I've never worked so hard for so little on a trail in my life.

shelb
07-28-2014, 22:26
While I can't speak for the entire AT, from what I have hiked, the northern part of Pennsylvania was the worst. The rocks felt like they were chiseled to points that stabbed into my feet. It was painful!

HooKooDooKu
07-29-2014, 00:07
The horse beaten AT in GSMNP...
If you're complaining about what horses do to the AT, apparently you haven't seen the rest of the park.

I'll admit that I've not hiked the AT as it comes up out of Davenport Gap... but I've hiked most of the rest of the AT in GSMNP. The AT is generally in wonderful shape compared to the other trails horses are allowed on. If you want to see some horse beaten crap of a trail, try hiking Mt Serling Ridge.

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:25
Well, I can only speak to that which I have done on the AT, which weren't much...but the trail between say Wind Gap PA. and the Delaware Water Gap Kicked my butt big time. Boulders at Wolf rocks, and climbing outta Wind Gap, No problem....but those darn 3"-5" rocks that grow outta the ground and conspire to twist and turn you ankles a you walk through for miles and miles.....Relentless. But glad I did it.

Booksie
07-29-2014, 08:40
Yes the walk form Wind Gap to Fox Gap is 8.5 miles of pain. I live close and don't think I want to that section again

RED-DOG
07-29-2014, 11:11
the worst kind of terrain for me is when you have to go into town the walk on Pavement or concrete that really beats your feet up and hurts like HELL.

RED-DOG
07-29-2014, 11:24
the worst kind of terrain for me is when you have to go into town the walk on Pavement or concrete that really beats your feet up and hurts like HELL.
Especially if it's a hot steamy day that really sucks, I rather hike up the steepest MTS with roots and rocks than hike down a paved road to a town.

peakbagger
07-29-2014, 11:52
I have lived and hiked in the whites for 20 plus years and the rocks of PA are on my worst list. In the whites there is reasonable assumption that when i step on a rock that its not going anywhere, in PA it was the opposite. Step on rock in PA and you have to plan its going to move.

I was also not a fan of some wet swampy sections in eastern NY where the walls of poison ivy vines were to either side of the trail corridor.

Yankytyke
07-29-2014, 13:04
The 3 miles where it joins the C&O canal outside Harpers Ferry. Boring, monotonous & hard on the feet.
i prefer the PA rocks to it any day.

RockDoc
07-29-2014, 15:55
Really, I'd rather discuss "good hiking" than bad trails.
You can have a good hike on a bad trail... if you are up to it.

What are you going to do, avoid the "hard parts"?
Why don't you just stay in town?

kayak karl
07-29-2014, 16:12
ice in late fall when it forms under the leaves and on the mossy rocks.

juma
07-29-2014, 16:22
its all good!

Dogwood
07-29-2014, 17:09
Beat me to it.

+1 it's all good

I will not allow myself to go down that path meditating on "bad", "worst", this or that sucks, etc

TNhiker
07-29-2014, 17:24
the answer to the question i get---"what's your favorite trail?"

me----"any one that i happen to be on"

lemon b
07-29-2014, 18:21
Southwest Maine in bad weather.

Del Q
07-29-2014, 20:36
I remember going up the steps at the Doyle.......pretty freaky.

johnnybgood
07-29-2014, 21:16
Uneven cobblestone streets in Harper's Ferry are ankle twisters for sure.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-29-2014, 21:47

Whatever YOU like discussing YOU can start a thread on one.

I was asking about the actual types of terrain since I had rolled my ankles on a few different ones. No different than asking "what's the worst shelter you've been to" or "what was your worst experience with animals".

There's this little thing we do on here called communicating: "the flow & exchange of information & ideas with others". I'm not sure where I led you to infer that I was trying to avoid the "hard parts", but thank you for your heartfelt suggestion that I just stay in town (I won't). Remember, no one made you read the OP or respond to it. That was your choice. If you didn't want to discuss it then you could have moved on & not wasted your time.

Have a nice hike, wherever you go. :cool:

johnnybgood
07-29-2014, 22:22
Uneven cobblestone streets in Harper's Ferry are ankle twisters for sure.

Thought I would elaborate a little as I was sincere in my comment.
After hiking almost a twenty miler as a sobo, being careful of every step especially at the end , descending into Harpers' Ferry I tweaked an ankle walking along those cobblestone streets.

Just goes to show you how being tired + relaxing and not giving the terrain due respect can cause an injury on what should have been a no brainer stroll in town.

Traveler
07-30-2014, 06:01

Sections of trail that are really difficult one day for one person may not be for another who is better prepared for conditions the same day or if the weather changes. Hard to pin point what the most difficult is outside of the more common terrain conditions that slow down travel. Wet roots on a slope, running parallel to travel are high on the list, especially covered with leaves.

Odd Man Out
07-30-2014, 09:53
Smooth, flat, non-level rocks that get real slippery when it rains, like the one I slipped on a few weeks ago. I landed on my elbow and got a nice cut. For the rest of my hike when I got to one of these, I would stop, stare at it for a few seconds, and say to it "How am I going to get around you?"

Old Boots
07-30-2014, 12:33
The 100w when the trail is under water is about as difficult as I have encountered.

lemon b
07-30-2014, 15:31
Also Campbell country in the 70's. We were not welcome. I Lied told first person I met my last name was Campbell. My wheelgun was not gonna match up.

greenmtnboy
07-30-2014, 19:22
I wouldn't use the word "worst" in my experience, the hardest hiking is entirely based on conditions, energy levels, weather, frame of mind, etc.. Toughest hiking can be made so by bugs (Maine's 100 mile low elevations), sun exposure (the Cumberland valley), challenging terrain (north Georgia, the Whites), cold or extended rain and attitudes or unpleasantness from others.

Sunshine82
07-30-2014, 19:51
It's weird but the roller coaster on the trail close to Wv and va line sucked for me it felt never ending and almost stepping on two copperheads made it more frustrating

Starchild
07-30-2014, 20:18
If you're complaining about what horses do to the AT, ...

I assume you speak of such help in bring up supplies the horses provide for the trail maintenance crews such as 'Rocky Top' who without such help would be no such trail thru the GSMNP.

pnkwolfe
07-30-2014, 22:20
PA north of the Susquehanna River, unless you a-jonesin' for endless rocks and infrequent vistas.

Tipi Walter
07-30-2014, 22:40
To me the worst terrain is the most dangerous terrain. And this usually means going downhill vs uphill, unless the trail is near vertical then uphill can be dangerous, too. (Or using a ladder or cable etc). A furrowed brow is the first indication of bad terrain and a steep downhill, especially when humping an 80 lb pack. Like I always say, going uphill requires endurance, going downhill requires concentration.

There are many serious downhills on trails and on the AT, but then again there are some even more seriously dangerous downhills---whereby a mis-step, slip or slide could result in broken bones. For me then the going goes extremely slow in order to stay alive. A heavy pack makes all the difference and increases the danger several-fold.

Then again there are high water creek crossings . . . in the winter at 0F . . . in bare feet/crocs. Or doing these mentioned descents in the ice and snow. BRING KAHTOOLA MICROSPIKES. But who knows, if you pinch up your furrowed brow enough you just might open up your third eye.

lemon b
08-01-2014, 14:52
Walter could you define furrowed brow ? Is that a specific terrain feature or the route the brain takes from eye to trail, to feet and balance back to brain causing one to be on a sharpe lookout.

RED-DOG
08-01-2014, 15:01
Tell you the truth the worst hiking conditions i have been on was Cross Country hiking in the Rockies, now thats a real beach, anything on the east coast is easy in comparison.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2014, 15:11
Walter could you define furrowed brow ? Is that a specific terrain feature or the route the brain takes from eye to trail, to feet and balance back to brain causing one to be on a sharpe lookout.

Rocketsock's post pretty much shows the furrowed brow in action---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27913&d=1406607919

Very sharp lookout cuz ya can't afford to fall. Not the look of confusion but one of concentration.

rocketsocks
08-01-2014, 15:26
Rocketsock's post pretty much shows the furrowed brow in action---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27913&d=1406607919

Very sharp lookout cuz ya can't afford to fall. Not the look of confusion but one of concentration.Rain:sun man, took this shot...yes, that section certainly called for all hands on deck from the mental prowess dept...it Soocked, but I loved it. It was the first long distance hike I had done in almost thirty years, and I had a blast. Funny, Rain :sunman and I tried to leap frog each other so to take photos of the other one, but he was such a strong hiker that he led the majority of the way, so I have a lot of his back side. Every now and again he would say to me when I'd catch up with him "Don't you have a photo Op comin' up" meaning I'll give ya a few hundred yards head start, hehe. I'll never forget that hike, and the fun I had gettin' kicked in the butt by the trail...makes me wanna go back, crazy ain't it, the things we covet.

Rain Man
08-04-2014, 08:32
Rain:sun man, took this shot...yes, that section certainly called for all hands on deck from the mental prowess dept...it Soocked, but I loved it. It was the first long distance hike I had done in almost thirty years, and I had a blast. Funny, Rain :sunman and I tried to leap frog each other so to take photos of the other one, but he was such a strong hiker that he led the majority of the way, so I have a lot of his back side.....

See, now, my recollection is how hard you pushed me! LOL Reminds me of the passage in Model T's book, when a friend came out to hike with him on his thru-hike. The friend worked hard to keep on Model T's heels, thinking he would be in danger of falling behind. but Model T thought the friend was the fresher hiker and that Model T was holding him back, so he tried to hiker faster. Each thinking he was holding the other back, and trying hard to speed up. LOL

Would love to hike with you again, RS! I'm headed to Maine the last two weeks of this month. Wish you could go with me!

P.S My brow was very furrowed through much of Pennsylvania!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

rocketsocks
08-04-2014, 09:10
See, now, my recollection is how hard you pushed me! LOL Reminds me of the passage in Model T's book, when a friend came out to hike with him on his thru-hike. The friend worked hard to keep on Model T's heels, thinking he would be in danger of falling behind. but Model T thought the friend was the fresher hiker and that Model T was holding him back, so he tried to hiker faster. Each thinking he was holding the other back, and trying hard to speed up. LOL

Would love to hike with you again, RS! I'm headed to Maine the last two weeks of this month. Wish you could go with me!

P.S My brow was very furrowed through much of Pennsylvania!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

.Yes, that is another way to look at it, hehe. Have a great hike Rain:sunman, I'll be makin' sand castles with my feet, eating seafood, and trying not to get sunburned out there while dreaming about the mountains and catching up on some reading. :)