PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek Wallet

12hrsN2AT
10-03-2005, 13:46
The better you are at folding and the straighter and more even the folds are make a difference in the end wallet.
Take a “used” tyvek mail envelope and cut the bottom 14cm off.

Turn it inside out.

Crease it halfway down and fold the top half into the bottom half so the top half is actually the walls of the inside of the wallet now.

Fold it into 3rds. (each are about 9.5cm). Fold each 3rd in toward the center.

Use 2 sided carpet tape on the middle 3rd and fold the right 3rd over onto the tape, this will make the card holder. Done.

Kerosene
10-03-2005, 13:48
How much does it weigh?

12hrsN2AT
10-03-2005, 14:08
On a cheap little hang scale and it says about 3.6grams. I also have a digital ounce scale and it fluctuates between .1 and .2 Oz. It's free and lighter than my daily wallet, and it's water reistant. I have always carried just the normal tyvek credit card sleeve but find it a hassle to get cash out of, I like the billfold. You can also pass them thru the printer or color on them by hand. I am sure you can make it lighter by cutting one of the thirds off and using less tape. I'll try to get one down to a gram. After this weekends hike in the rain it worked fine, kept everything inside dry.

Kerosene
10-03-2005, 14:29
I think I can live with 0.2 oz. Thanks for the quick response.

It seems like some sort of velcro closure might improve water resistance and security (and probably double the weight). What do you think?

12hrsN2AT
10-03-2005, 14:45
I think a flap that closes would be thinner than velcro. I have one of those velcro dots I'll try. Amazing how it holds up and how light it feels in your pocket. I was worried about sitting on my license and credit cards, but when you have 2 or more cards they get stiff enough.
It's a work in progress.
I love when my backpacking toys can get used in my mundane world, it gives a new meaning to multi-use.