PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th of July

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 09:39
From my Family to yours...Happy 4th of July

Old Hiker
07-04-2014, 11:11
You, too. Thanks to all the vets who have bought our freedom with their sacrifices.

DLP
07-04-2014, 12:18
Happy 4th to you. Glad you seem to be doing well after surgery, RS.

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 15:00
Happy 4th to you. Glad you seem to be doing well after surgery, RS.
oh thanks DLP, yep doin just fine, little tender but fine. :)

Rain Man
07-04-2014, 18:58
From my last hike AT hike, last month. Missed you RS! This is just inside NY on a summit overlooking Greenwood Lake.

Happy Independence Day to all.

Rain:sunMan

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 20:37
From my last hike AT hike, last month. Missed you RS! This is just inside NY on a summit overlooking Greenwood Lake.

Great picture, I saw that in your gallery...really rustic our ol' glory is.

Maddog
07-04-2014, 20:45
Happy 4th of July!

MuddyWaters
07-04-2014, 20:47
Its kind of funny how everyone has been brianwashed to celebrate July 4 today. Back then, only a very small part of what is now the United States was even involved in that. Most of the US today had zero to do with it. In fact, in what is now many areas of the US, the people living there did not want the US to win against England. Spain and France were fighting for control of areas as well, and the settlers beleived the larger countries could protect them better. They did not celebrate July 4 in some areas until the 20th century because of this, it wasnt their thing. Its kind of a modern thing in the last 100 years really.

Not saying its bad mind you, just a sign of how things change, and how the government controls what people think and do. History gets lost when no one pays attention.

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 20:50
Its kind of funny how everyone has been brianwashed to celebrate July 4 today. Back then, only a very small part of what is now the United States was even involved in that. Most of the US today had zero to do with it. In fact, in what is now many areas of the US, the people living there did not want the US to win against England. Spain and France were fighting for control of areas as well, and the settlers beleived the larger countries could protect them better. They did not celebrate July 4 in some areas until the 20th century because of this, it wasnt their thing. Its kind of a modern thing in the last 100 years really.

Not saying its bad mind you, just a sign of how things change, and how the government controls what people think and do. History gets lost when no one pays attention.I love history, thanks for sharing that.

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 20:56
ah Man...startin to hear boom booms all around.27655

Teacher & Snacktime
07-06-2014, 12:51
Coming from that small part of the US, where the town next door just celebrated it's 229th Independence Day celebration and parade (despite the hurricane effect this year), I can't recognize this bit of history. Delayed recognition for much of the country is not surprising though as historic events are not normally appreciated or reviled until they are.....well, historic. Happy Belated 4th from Bristol, RI !

MDSection12
07-06-2014, 13:13

Not saying its bad mind you, just a sign of how things change, and how the government controls what people think and do. History gets lost when no one pays attention.
All true, but to me it's still suitable that it is recognized as our inception as a nation, at least symbolically. Even celebrating the ratification of the constitution wouldn't represent the whole fifty states, of course. It's kind of a retrospective holiday, but in that sense I appreciate looking back to the piece of paper that got this whole thing rolling! :)

Besides, it's a fun day to spend with friends and family... I hope everyone enjoyed theirs. :D

A.T.Lt
07-06-2014, 16:43

Same flag taken first week of June! :)27663

rocketsocks
07-06-2014, 18:42
Same flag taken first week of June! :)27663

....that's a beautiful shot.

Odd Man Out
07-06-2014, 22:24

From http://www.constitutionfacts.com/us-declaration-of-independence/fourth-of-july/

How did the Fourth of July become a national holiday?

For the first 15 or 20 years after the Declaration was written, people didn’t celebrate it much on any date. It was too new and too much else was happening in the young nation. By the 1790s, a time of bitter partisan conflicts, the Declaration had become controversial. One party, the Democratic-Republicans, admired Jefferson and the Declaration. But the other party, the Federalists, thought the Declaration was too French and too anti-British, which went against their current policies.

By 1817, John Adams complained in a letter that America seemed uninterested in its past. But that would soon change.
After the War of 1812, the Federalist party began to come apart and the new parties of the 1820s and 1830s all considered themselves inheritors of Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans. Printed copies of the Declaration began to circulate again, all with the date July 4, 1776, listed at the top. The deaths of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams on July 4, 1826, may even have helped to promote the idea of July 4 as an important date to be celebrated.

Celebrations of the Fourth of July became more common as the years went on and in 1870, almost a hundred years after the Declaration was written, Congress first declared July 4 to be a national holiday as part of a bill to officially recognize several holidays, including Christmas. Further legislation about national holidays, including July 4, was passed in 1939 and 1941.

Sorry, but from this account I don't see that celebrating the 4th of July as being "kind of a modern thing in the last 100 years". Also, it seems to me that the notion that this national celebration is the result of "brainwashing" or the government controlling what people think or do is a bit of a stretch.

As for me, I was in Canada for the 4th, but will go to DC on Tuesday to make up for that, en route to a VA hike starting Wednesday.