PDA

View Full Version : socks other than Darn tough

misterfloyd
07-04-2014, 09:53
Hello to all,

First I will say, I have darn tough socks, the lightest they make. I'm sorry I do not remember the model and I love them. I have beaten them and they come back for more.

I have Lowa renegade boots. They are the only ones that fit my fred flintstone feet. I was using keen targhees before when I purchased the DT socks. The lowas don't breathe as well. On my recent trip I used also sock liners as well.

When I stopped at Bluff Mountain outfitters in Hot Springs they said what I was using was fine.

Could you please share what you use with this boot or something similar?

Any information is greatly accepted and very welcome.

Happy 4th to everyone

Best Regards,
Floyd

Rain Man
07-04-2014, 10:24
I have Lowa renegade boots. They are the only ones that fit my fred flintstone feet. ...

Sounds like you have what's working for you, so am not sure what you're asking. However, I'll add that I have similar feet and used Lowa Renegade boots, then switched to their hiking shoe version. Now I use New Balance trail runners.

As far as socks, I've tried many, ... including Darn Tuff, but the elastic failed on them. Finally, I settled on lightweight Bridgedale. I forget the name, but not the "Trekkers," which are heavier-weight.

Rain:sunMan

Old Hiker
07-04-2014, 10:30
I used LL Bean Cresta for a long time. My dad gave me a gift cert for the first couple of pairs. LL used to have them impregnated with permethrin, but I haven't seen them in a while. On sale now if you want mid-weight, XL.

Switched to Darn Tough because of warranty and made in the USA. They have a severe defect though: I've had 3 singles disappear in the dryer. All different colors, of course !!!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69663?feat=mens%20sockcrestas-SR0&page=men-s-cresta-hiking-socks-wool&attrValue_0=Forest%20Moss&productId=473536

DLP
07-04-2014, 12:03
I wear an REI liner and then on the outside I have an assortment of Christmas socks that I have gotten from Target, Dollar Store and as gifts. I usually pay $1-2 for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Womens-Assorted-Colors-Designs/dp/B004D4A4PU/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt (I don't know if these are my actual socks... but close enough)

I don't know if they would work for a thru hike but I've worn them on 7 day trips and never had a problem. They are shockingly durable. After two years of use, none have a hole.

The thing I like most about them is that they are easy to rinse or wash in cook pot/mug. I've had a problem in the past with thicker socks with lots of loops inside holding grit and causing horrific blisters. Weirdly enough, I haven't gotten a (bad) blister with my current sock strategy.

Rocket Jones
07-04-2014, 12:19
[QUOTE=Old Hiker;1891398]They have a severe defect though: I've had 3 singles disappear in the dryer. All different colors, of course !!![QUOTE]

Use the Stephen Wright method and sort your socks by thickness. :D

Another Kevin
07-04-2014, 12:29
I have switched back and forth between Darn Tough and Wigwam, and both have worked well. On me, both itch, so I use liners. The liners are from XYZ-Mart, thin nylon dress socks in summer and slightly less thin polypro athletic socks in winter. (I got a pair of Thorlo hiking socks for free this spring, but don't have enough experience with them to comment.)

Depending on conditions, I wear New Balance trail runners, clunky Timberland leather boots, or even clunkier Sorel pac boots. I tried lighter weight hiking boots one season (Merrell, I think) but the rock monster ate them. The leather boots don't breathe worth a darn, and ain't no socks going to help with that. But I'd rather have the rock monster bite a cow's hide than mine.

misterfloyd
07-04-2014, 17:30
Thank you all for your replies.

I ask because I hiked from Fontana Dam to Erwin. I was supposed to get off at Damascus. I had to stop because of the Ortho insoles prescribed by my doctor. They occurred on both feet. On the top is a Bad blister, no big deal pop it and move on but the bruising discoloration underneath and the soreness and me altering my foot steps caused me to make a decision to stop in Erwin.

Since I used a heavier boot, I thought of lightening up in thinner socks.

It was very hard to stop. I will go back to erwin before I go back to work (teach) and try to get some miles back.

Thank you all for your comments and help.

Best,
Floyd

RangerZ
07-04-2014, 23:09
Hello to all,

First I will say, I have darn tough socks, the lightest they make. I'm sorry I do not remember the model and I love them. I have beaten them and they come back for more.

I have Lowa renegade boots. They are the only ones that fit my fred flintstone feet. I was using keen targhees before when I purchased the DT socks. The lowas don't breathe as well. On my recent trip I used also sock liners as well.

When I stopped at Bluff Mountain outfitters in Hot Springs they said what I was using was fine.

Happy 4th to everyone

Best Regards,
Floyd

I wear the same thing - Lowa Renegades plus Darn Tough socks but I think a heavier version, full cushion hike/trek it says on the packaging.

The Lowas don't breathe well but I like the fit, etc. I air my feet and boots during lunch, change the socks if they don't entirely dry.

I have Smartwool and REI socks but like the Darn Tough ones better.

Venchka
07-04-2014, 23:33
There are two Renegade models: Leather Lined and Gore-Tex (not acceptable in my mind). Which one are you all talking about? They are not much heavier than my Moab Ventilators. Weight is not the problem. Socks are not the problem.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

chiefduffy
07-05-2014, 06:45
I too use Lowas because of my feet. Thorlos light hiker socks work best for me, and I think I've most brands out there, including Darn Tough.

misterfloyd
07-05-2014, 08:39
I have the lowas with gore tex, which I'm very aware of the disadvantage of gore tex.

I don't really find the boot very heavy at all and are very comfortable. What knocked me off the trail was the damn ortho insoles. I have always had wide flat feet and was prescribed insoles to help alleviate or maintain a bunion on my left foot from getting bigger. By the time I got to H. S. where the insole was designed to make an arch, my foot was severely bruised and purple. Got some Spencos and put 2 in each boot. took a zero, soaked them in Epson salt all day. Felt a hell of a lot better, but the damage was done. I was altering my foot steps. Decided to make it to Erwin and get off. BTW, I did try them locally on some hikes but nothing replicates the pounding they get every day

The socks were not the problem, and my foot didn't feel hot, but I wanted to get some other options and try other combos.

Thank you all for your comments it is great to hear other opinions.
Best,
Floyd

Venchka
07-05-2014, 10:22
Were the orthotics made to fit your foot AND the Lowa Renegades? It sounds like your foot does not have enough room inside the boot. Thinner, lighter socks, like cycling thin wool socks, may have helped earlier. Perhaps the laces were too tight?
Good luck. I hope your feet heal soon.

Wayne

misterfloyd
07-05-2014, 12:53
Venchka,

The ortho was a cast mold from my foot but not for the Lowas. Not running out of room at all the bruising is were the ortho tried to put an arch in my foot. The blister is from this as well. I will try some different insoles, and bring them from Erwin to Damascus.

I have never looked into cycling wool socks, will try this as well.

Thank you for the good wishes as well.

Best,
Floyd

rocketsocks
07-05-2014, 16:10
I have always thought that sweat build up was the main reason for getting blisters, so I started using sock liners. Last summer I did a hike and got two huge blisters on each foot that pulled me off trail. In looking back at what I was wearing at the time (wool socks and poly liners) I've come to the conclusion that for me heat removal is the bigger foe. The weather was real hot, 91 degrees, and my feet were a little swollen from a hike the week before, adding liners and wool, then stuffing my dogs into trail runners with Gortex was a bad idea...to hot! and they couldn't breath, thus the blisters. Currently, and in very hot weather I'm hiking in wool socks (darn tuffs) and very breathable sneakers, and that's it, no sock liners. So far it's workin for me. In the colder months though I like a sock liner, as it wicks the sweat, keeps my feet dryer, and comfortable in colder weather. I guess my point is the conditions dictate what I've been doin, and what I'll pick out that morning. Staying flexible to ones gear selection (across the board, and in all aspects) I think is important, and to not get caught up in the you can't change things for yourself (seasonally, or daily if necessary) if it's not working just because it is thought that a certain norm is followed by many. Do what ever works for you.

Venchka
07-05-2014, 18:01
I am with Rocket. I am ditching synthetic socks against my skin. If I can not find thin wool liners, I will wear a single light to medium weight pair of merino or alpaca socks.
To the OP: Forget thin cycling socks. I thought your boots were tight. I would take the orthotics back to the folks who made them and beat them with the orthotics.

Wayne

misterfloyd
07-06-2014, 09:53
I went back to foot doctor and we had a little heart to heart talk. I will get some lighter socks to experiment on. I really do not like the feel of wool, and also thought the purpose of liners was if there was friction it would be between the two socks, not the sock and shoe. The feet weren't really hot, nor the conditions. I think the insoles not be of a wicking nature but more so having Barney Rubble feet and trying to put and arch, and having the bruising at the exact point did it.

I thank you for all of your comments and it makes me think of things that I may not know, or be aware of

Thank you.

Best,
Misterfloyd

Del Q
07-06-2014, 16:32
Swiftwick...........any company that just does one thing impresses me, great socks

They are SERIOUS about socks.

Venchka
07-06-2014, 22:29
Swiftwick...........any company that just does one thing impresses me, great socks

They are SERIOUS about socks.

Thank you! These may be the Merino liners I have hunted high and low for.

Wayne

Cadenza
07-16-2014, 18:19
What I hate is when you have worn a pair of socks for a while and come to realize you really like them, you go and try to find more and they aren't available anymore.
That has happened to me with different brand names.

One of my favorite pairs of socks is Smartwool. But I have other Smartwool socks that don't measure up. I have been looking for years to find the same version that I like so much. Can't find them anywhere.
Same with Bridgedale. I have a pair of Bridgedales that I cannot find that particular sock anymore.

I bought 3 or 4 pairs of Darn Tough. They just don't feel right on my feet. I'm constantly aware of what feels like little ridges under my foot caused by the change in weave patterns of the cushioned areas.

It seems I don't realize that I like a pair of socks until after I've worn them long enough that the company has changed everything.

Cadenza
07-16-2014, 18:32
double post.....sorry

*Moderator, please delete.*

rocketsocks
07-16-2014, 19:18
What I hate is when you have worn a pair of socks for a while and come to realize you really like them, you go and try to find more and they aren't available anymore.
That has happened to me with different brand names.

One of my favorite pairs of socks is Smartwool. But I have other Smartwool socks that don't measure up. I have been looking for years to find the same version that I like so much. Can't find them anywhere.
Same with Bridgedale. I have a pair of Bridgedales that I cannot find that particular sock anymore.

I bought 3 or 4 pairs of Darn Tough. They just don't feel right on my feet. I'm constantly aware of what feels like little ridges under my foot caused by the change in weave patterns of the cushioned areas.

It seems I don't realize that I like a pair of socks until after I've worn them long enough that the company has changed everything.I like when they stand at attention all by themselves, like a turkey timer, it signals time for a change

Gersh
07-17-2014, 12:07
I have to say that even though Darn Tough have great customer service and are made in the US there are some issues.. If you get them super soiled as in the case of thru-hiking they never really gain back that softness and to me over time turns into cardboard.
Smartwools: The guy who started smartwool no longer runs the company and has left to start his own sock business. The quality of Smartwools has decreased since they first started and they just don't hold up.
Point 6: started from the smartwool guy.. great socks that are American made with a lifetime guarantee and merino wool. comfortable and durable
Farm to Feet: Also great socks and not only made in America but the merino wool comes from US ranchers

CalebJ
07-17-2014, 12:27
I used Balega Hidden Comfort for the last year or two when hiking in trail runners. However, after a series of blister issues in the last couple of months (and one truly miserable one between toes that formed and opened up within just a couple of miles), I finally caved in and tried out toe socks. They look absolutely -ridiculous-, but so far I haven't had the first hint of a blister in two weeks of running roads, trails, and track work. I'll definitely be wearing them on my next backpacking trip. Might be worth a shot if you're looking for something new. The two brands I've tried are Injenji's 'Run Lightweight No Show Toe Socks' and SmartWool's 'Micro Toe Socks'.

Traveler
07-17-2014, 15:41
I went back to foot doctor and we had a little heart to heart talk. I will get some lighter socks to experiment on. I really do not like the feel of wool, and also thought the purpose of liners was if there was friction it would be between the two socks, not the sock and shoe.

I have found SmartWool to be good as a single sock solution. They are a cross between synthetic and wool material, having few of the "wool against skin" issues pure wool socks can have. Usually I will use a Medium thickness mens sock, however I recently discovered the SmartWool "PhD" socks for hiking in summer. These have good padding in the heel and ball of the foot/toe area, but the balance of the sock is thinner and breathes easier, though they can be a little pricey. I too wear orthodic liners so sock thickness can be an issue. As the day wears on, feet get larger and a thinner sock becomes of value. Good luck in this quest, stay at it and you'll find the right combination(s).

Coffee
07-17-2014, 15:42
I use the Smartwool PhD medium and they work very well for me. I didn't like the Darn Tough socks I tried on my April section hike as much as the Smartwool. Look for sales on smart wool on socksaddict.com