PDA

View Full Version : better gear

neo
10-03-2005, 16:26
the best gear availble is not accepted by the majority of the hiking community
i cant understand why most hikers want sleep on the ground,i dont understand why most hikers use water filters that require a lots of work to pump,i prefer my henn.hammock,jacksrbetter tarp,my h20 amigo water filter and my speer synthetic quilt,and my jet boil:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7104/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7105/sort/1/cat/500/page/2

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6063/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6565/sort/1/cat/500/page/11

SGT Rock
10-03-2005, 16:37
Well it just takes different strokes for different folks. Some folks wonder why carry a shelter at all when all you need is a trail shelter and a thermarest.

Actually I am thankful not everyone uses a hammock. If more people used them, and did so incorrectly thus hurting trees, it would be very easy for a knee-jerk reaction to ban them in places I like to go.

neo
10-03-2005, 19:36
Well it just takes different strokes for different folks. Some folks wonder why carry a shelter at all when all you need is a trail shelter and a thermarest.

Actually I am thankful not everyone uses a hammock. If more people used them, and did so incorrectly thus hurting trees, it would be very easy for a knee-jerk reaction to ban them in places I like to go.

i think shelters suck rock:cool: neo

icemanat95
10-03-2005, 20:02
The PUR hiker/Katadyn Hiker can be set up to siphon filter as well. Katadyn also makes a bag drip filter, a bit slow though if you are just stopping in to top up your water at a spring. The Hiker offers the best of both worlds. Siphonability and a pump option should you be in a rush.

SGT Rock
10-03-2005, 20:56
They make for a good place to start a fire.

Rambler
10-03-2005, 23:01
I met a hiker on the AT whose hammock did not hurt any tree. She hung it inside the shelters every night. It was a small mesh hammock she hung next to the side wall. She was tidy and very efficient.

Rambler
10-03-2005, 23:07
I met a hiker on the AT whose hammock did not hurt any tree. She hung it inside the shelters every night. It was a small mesh hammock she hung next to the side wall. She was tidy and very efficient.

This summer, I have slept on soft ground with no pad, in shelters, in a hammock without nettting or tarp, on the ground under a tarp. I really have no preference. It just depends.....

stupe
10-03-2005, 23:21
Me thinks there's more benefits to sleeping in a hammock compared to sleeping on the ground, even with a good pad. I just feel so helpless, suspended like that, and I leave my hammock home now.

Teatime
10-04-2005, 01:27
I can't afford to go out and buy the most expensive or the newest gear that comes out every year. Who can? I just make do with what I have and that seems to be good enough.

Just Jeff
10-04-2005, 01:33
You can make the newest and neatest gear...and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Long as you're having fun, it's good enough.

Nightwalker
10-04-2005, 02:26
Are you sure you're not LW?

Actually, the Nantahala and Upper Loft design shelters are pretty cool, for totally different reasons. Those Upper Loft design shelters (Low Gap, Deep Gap and others) will still be here in 100 years.

Nightwalker
10-04-2005, 02:28
I can't afford to go out and buy the most expensive or the newest gear that comes out every year. Who can? I just make do with what I have and that seems to be good enough.
I love buying last year's gear in January. A $200 Osprey pack for $120. A $250 Mountainsmith bag for $175. Stuff that'll last a lifetime, if I take care of it, and way cheaper 'cause the yuppies don't want last year's colors.

:D

Nightwalker
10-04-2005, 02:29
Me thinks there's more benefits to sleeping in a hammock compared to sleeping on the ground, even with a good pad. I just feel so helpless, suspended like that, and I leave my hammock home now.
I hike a LOT in the winter. Guess what the biggest gripe about hammocks is?

:)

fiddlehead
10-04-2005, 07:03
[QUOTE=neo]the best gear availble is not accepted by the majority of the hiking community
i cant understand why most hikers want sleep on the ground,i dont understand why most hikers use water filters that require a lots of work to pump,i prefer my henn.hammock,jacksrbetter tarp,my h20 amigo water filter and my speer synthetic quilt,and my jet boil:cool: neo

The best gear? Majority?
I would never even consider a hammock unless theres' a way to hang it where there's no trees because that's where i prefer to sleep.
I would never even consider a water filter unless the water that i find in the wild starts to make me sick.
I love my FF "hummingbird" possibly as much as you prefer your sleeping system.
Am i part of the majority? probably not, but your preferences are not going to change mine.
To each his own

neo
10-04-2005, 07:10
Are you sure you're not LW?

Actually, the Nantahala and Upper Loft design shelters are pretty cool, for totally different reasons. Those Upper Loft design shelters (Low Gap, Deep Gap and others) will still be here in 100 years.
my name is neo:cool: neo

peter_pan
10-04-2005, 08:30
I think Sgt Rock make two great points on ths thread.

"Well it just takes different strokes for different folks. Some folks wonder why carry a shelter at all when all you need is a trail shelter and a thermarest." Sgt Rock.

"Actually I am thankful not everyone uses a hammock. If more people used them, and did so incorrectly thus hurting trees, it would be very easy for a knee-jerk reaction to ban them in places I like to go." Sgt Rock.

That said, Nightwalker, if your issue is cold bottom, know that there are several ways to be warm in hammocks for about the same weight as a winter ground dweller. Just search the archives.

Pan

stupe
10-04-2005, 10:38
I hike a LOT in the winter. Guess what the biggest gripe about hammocks is?

:)I give up. What is the biggest gripe about hammocks? ( I hike a lot in the winter, too )

Footslogger
10-04-2005, 10:54
I give up. What is the biggest gripe about hammocks? ( I hike a lot in the winter, too )=====================================
Not a "gripe" really ...just the reason I don't hammock camp in winter. I'm not willing to invest in and carry the necessary adaptations to make a hammock comfortable in cold weather.

I should add that I have a hammock (HH) and really like it.

'Slogger

neo
10-04-2005, 12:08
=====================================
Not a "gripe" really ...just the reason I don't hammock camp in winter. I'm not willing to invest in and carry the necessary adaptations to make a hammock comfortable in cold weather.

I should add that I have a hammock (HH) and really like it.

'Slogger
this is all i use to hammock camp in the winter a pad from walmart $14.99
cut down to 3/4 length:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7241/sort/1/cat/500/page/7

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7242/sort/1/cat/500/page/2

Footslogger
10-04-2005, 12:13
[QUOTE=neo]this is all i use to hammock camp in the winter a pad from walmart $14.99 cut down to 3/4 length:cool: neo
================================================
It's not about the expense ...and there's a chance that you have a wider comfort range in terms of low temps. I've been in my hammock at temps well below freezing and without some added insulation of some sort it's just not my cup of tea and (as I said before) I'm not willing to acquire and carry the added gear to make it workable. I've got a good cold weather system and I'm happy with it.

'Slogger

neo
10-04-2005, 12:15
[QUOTE=neo]this is all i use to hammock camp in the winter a pad from walmart $14.99 cut down to 3/4 length:cool: neo
================================================
It's not about the expense ...and there's a chance that you have a wider comfort range in terms of low temps. I've been in my hammock at temps well below freezing and without some added insulation of some sort it's just not my cup of tea and (as I said before) I'm not willing to acquire and carry the added gear to make it workable. I've got a good cold weather system and I'm happy with it.

'Slogger
thats cool for you,i just hate hard surface sleeping period:cool: neo

JoeHiker
10-04-2005, 12:28
JustJeff has a decent discussion of why this is a very bad idea. Shelters are not always the strongest things and hammocks put quite a bit of stress on them -- a LOT more than you think.

Read here, at the bottom of the page

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingDry.html