PDA

View Full Version : make or buy tarp tent

jimmyjob
10-03-2005, 16:44
i am not sure whether it is worth my time to try and make a tarp tent??? i could just spend the money at www.tarptent.com or try to buy a kit. i am reasonably handy and could get help from someone better at projects like this.

i am just not sure where to get a kit from and am wondering how much time you all spent building your in particular.

thanks for any insite

jimmyjob

Omni
10-03-2005, 19:42
IF you are handy make your own. Wal-fart has sewing machines for less than $80.00. After that you can make the tarp, small UL packs and all the stuff sacks your heart desires.

verber
10-03-2005, 23:21
i am not sure whether it is worth my time to try and make a tarp tent??? i could just spend the money at www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) or try to buy a kit.
Keep in mind that the of plans / kits for tarptents are based on Henry's version first version (or someone elses which is much like Henry's version 1). The tarptents sold today have had significant refinement over the years which make them easier to pitch, more roomy inside, and more stable in storms. So while you are trading labor for time, it is likely that you are also losing performance. If buying a tarptent doesn't break that bank, I would buy from tarptent (especially since Henry is a really great guy).

--Mark

jimmyjob
10-04-2005, 08:28
If buying a tarptent doesn't break that bank, I would buy from tarptent (especially since Henry is a really great guy).

--Mark
gee...your not secretly Henry...ARE YOU???:-?:-?:D:D:D

Just kidding..thanks for the advice..