PDA

View Full Version : Must not miss from Bobblets Gap Shelter to Rockfish Gap along Blue Ridge Mtns

Acacia
07-05-2014, 19:08
Since I won't be able to do the whole AT section from Bobblets Gap Shelter to Rockfish Gap, which sections should I not miss? thanks!

Southerner
07-06-2014, 21:44
This thread probably answers your question: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95385-Daleville-to-Rockfish-Gap-info

How many miles do you have to cut? I wouldn't have any qualms about cutting the section between Bobblets Gap and Cornelius Creek Shelter. You would miss a couple of views from Parkway overlooks, a good swimming hole at Jennings Creek, and Bryants Ridge Shelter, but nothing huge. The must-see places are going to the ridgeline north of the James, Cole(d) Mountain / Tar Jacket Ridge, Spy Rock, The Priest, Three Ridges, and Humpback Rocks. Even though you are seemingly pressed for time, the side trip to Devil's Marbleyard is pretty cool and worth the diversion. Good luck!

jimmyjam
07-06-2014, 22:13
Where exactly is the devils marble yard ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Southerner
07-06-2014, 22:25
It is off of the Belfast Trail in the James River Face Wilderness near Arnolds Valley. To access the Marbleyard from the AT, you take the Gunter Ridge Trail for about a quarter-mile, then the Belfast Trail branches to the left. The valley terminus of the Belfast Trail is located off of Petites Gap Road, which you can reach from James River Road at Natural Bridge Station (Va. 130) (follow initial signs for Cave Mtn. Lake, then turn left at the forked junction at the church) or from the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a small parking lot beside Elk Creek that fills quickly on weekends. Hiking Upward has a more detailed write-up. There are also a lot of loops possible using the AT, Glenwood Horse Trail, Gunter Ridge Trail, and etc.

jimmyjam
07-07-2014, 06:48
Thank you Southerer i am always looking for new places in Va .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Acacia
07-08-2014, 02:27
Thanks, Southerner and JJ. I need to cut about 20 miles and was thinking exactly of the section mentioned - Boblett's Gap to Cornelius Creek shelter. Will try to get to Devil's Marbleyard. I just found out that Dutch Haus B&B is closed for 2014. Too bad, I was looking forward to it