View Full Version : Dave's Place - Damascus

Pages : 1 [2]

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 11:30
that would be stupider than the politics forum
my point exactly

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:18
That's alright. I follow a form of earth goddess/god worship that pre-dates Christianity. It’s what Wicca is based on. (hence, why Wicca is refered to as "neo-paganism" Some call it Celtic Paganism, but as the definition of Pagan is "one without god" I simply call it the Old Ways. It is the fath that people followed when they lived off and with the earth.......based on the seasons.
I'll never forget my buddy Ray in prison, he was into this. All the brothers would get bent out of shape at me because we hung out some. Dude was cool. I never persued any of what he had to say about his beliefs like I'm sure he didn't mine. But you know what? We never discussed our beliefs too much and we got along just fine..........

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:19
It's OK Wonder, it's your business. If you want to roast in Hell I can respect that;) .
That was uncalled for!

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:29
True, but faith with the wrong type of actions isn't just dead, it is dead and rotting. If a man plans to hold himself out as a Christian example, then he must be willing to follow the Leader. Can you imagine Christ calling someone a Jew Boy, unstringing a guitar, waking people up to harass them, or being rude and obnoxious to travelers? Running up and down the streets of Damascus shouting 'Praise the Lord' may look like Christianity, but it isn't. Read the handbook (New Testament) for details.

Where are you coming from? I don't condone Wally's actions at all. But what I am hearing now is a whole different story as to what happened and the story goes like this, "They were both wrong." And I didn't hear this from Jeff either, nor Tom, nor Wally.

And as far as following the leader, no one is able to follow the Leader whole heartedly. When I was running a kitchen my employees never were able to do it just like I wanted them to do it. There was their way and then there was my way. If they were worth their salt they would figure out how to get the job done to everyones satisfaction.

For a woman who claims the same belief you should realize it ain't all cut and dry like you say it should be. As far as Wally is concerned I don't believe he believes in anything but Wally. But really I am not his judge and jury. He'll stand for everything that comes out of his mouth just like you and I will also, or off the tip of our fingers..........

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 12:33
Wander, please, PLEASE learn to use multiquote.

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:34
Wander, please, PLEASE learn to use multiquote.
how do you do it?

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:35
i respond to posts as i read them Rock.........

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 12:37
In the lower right hand of each post there are some buttons. One looks like a page with quotation marks: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

So you read the thread, and if there is a post you want to reply to, you hit that and keep reading. When you get to the last post you want to quote, hit the other quote button that says "Quote" on it. When the reply page comes up you will see all the posts you are responding to in the text block and you can reply in one post to all those posts. You will see what I mean when you try it.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 12:38
Where are you coming from? I don't condone Wally's actions at all. But what I am hearing now is a whole different story as to what happened and the story goes like this, "They were both wrong." And I didn't hear this from Jeff either, nor Tom, nor Wally.

And as far as following the leader, no one is able to follow the Leader whole heartedly. When I was running a kitchen my employees never were able to do it just like I wanted them to do it. There was their way and then there was my way. If they were worth their salt they would figure out how to get the job done to everyones satisfaction.

For a woman who claims the same belief you should realize it ain't all cut and dry like you say it should be. As far as Wally is concerned I don't believe he believes in anything but Wally. But really I am not his judge and jury. He'll stand for everything that comes out of his mouth just like you and I will also, or off the tip of our fingers..........
wally started it. don't care what you heard. he represents MRO. it's not the first time he's started stuff. they lost some SOBO business this week cuz of it. bottom line. and bottom line pays the bill.

Jan LiteShoe
how do you do it?

Um, I was wondering how to do it too, a while back.
Quick how-to?
Jan the UnTechnical
:)

SGT Rock
how do you do it?

Look at my previous post.

i respond to posts as i read them Rock.........
No, really.:rolleyes:

You might want to read the entire thread before you respond post by post though. Like your reply to Alligator totally missed what he said about that post a few later.

Slow down.

Jan LiteShoe
10-23-2007, 12:39
Quick how-to?
Jan the UnTechnical

Late again!
Gracias.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 12:40
Quick how-to?
Jan the UnTechnical

how do you do it?

In the lower right hand of each post there are some buttons. One looks like a page with quotation marks: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

So you read the thread, and if there is a post you want to reply to, you hit that and keep reading. When you get to the last post you want to quote, hit the other quote button that says "Quote" on it. When the reply page comes up you will see all the posts you are responding to in the text block and you can reply in one post to all those posts. You will see what I mean when you try it.
Like this...

Marta
10-23-2007, 12:43
how do you do it?

I don't really have anything on topic (if there is such a thing) to add to this discussion...

..but I have to try this. I'd been wondering how it was done.:D

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 12:45
Saves reading 8 posts in a row from someone that is late on a conversation. I always read up to the last post before responding anyway so I can avoid doing what wander just did. So you can click and unclick those posts in the thread you think you may want to quote or repond to as you read it, then finish up with one post instead of 4 posts in a row.

Alligator
10-23-2007, 12:46
It's OK Wonder, it's your business. If you want to roast in Hell I can respect that;) .

Hey I was just kidding you...now what on earth am I covered with...:jump

That was uncalled for!It's not too hard. Besides multiquote, it also helps to read the whole thread before firing up the quote buttons:o .

If all else fails, donate $10 so that if someone like Rock says the same thing while you are posting you can add an edit. Although I think you may have 15 minutes still to make quick edits?

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:48
wally started it. don't care what you heard. he represents MRO. it's not the first time he's started stuff. they lost some SOBO business this week cuz of it. bottom line. and bottom line pays the bill.
whatever. he ran more away already? you are right about this.........

Look at my previous post.

No, really.:rolleyes:

You might want to read the entire thread before you respond post by post though. Like your reply to Alligator totally missed what he said about that post a few later.

Slow down.

yeah i saw what gator responded with later, oh well..........

Like this...

just like this?

I don't really have anything on topic (if there is such a thing) to add to this discussion...

..but I have to try this. I'd been wondering how it was done.:D

you and i learned something today..........now if i can just implant it into my thinking when i am responding........

Alligator
10-23-2007, 12:49
whatever. he ran more away already? you are right about this.........

yeah i saw what gator responded with later, oh well..........

just like this?

you and i learned something today..........now if i can just implant it into my thinking when i am responding........Praise the Lord TOW you got it:D :D .

TOW
10-23-2007, 12:51
hahahaha, sorry about my outburst to ya..........

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 12:51
God bless that multiquote :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-23-2007, 13:00
There is a adage in AA --
When one person tells you a behavior is a problem, you can ignore it. When two people tell you, you need to take a look at it. If five people tell you, you may as well get busy fixing it because it is a problem. Well over five people have told me Wally's behavior is a problem. No one has told me HighLife's behavior is a problem in any incident except his interaction with Wally.

TOW, I brought Wally's professed belief into this because you had indicated earlier in the thread that you were unsure what to think because of your personal association with him. If he believes only in himself (as you say you believe earlier in this thread), why is he shouting 'Praise the Lord' to Wonder. Is he doing this solely to try to make Wonder uncomfortable or to provoke her?

Wonder
10-23-2007, 13:00
(I never knew how to do that either.......thanks for the lesson all!)
Rock: Hiking with you would be an honor!

Wonder
10-23-2007, 13:03
There is a adage in AA -- Well over five people have told me Wally's behavior is a problem. No one has told me HighLife's behavior is a problem in any incident except his interaction with Wally.

TOW, I brought Wally's professed belief into this because you had indicated earlier in the thread that you were unsure what to think because of your personal association with him. If he believes only in himself (as you say you believe earlier in this thread), why is he shouting 'Praise the Lord' to Wonder. Is he doing this solely to try to make Wonder uncomfortable or to provoke her?

I've never had any close contact with Wally. I think it's just his thing. I've only become uncomfortable about him after learning what I have....... just enough to avoid contact. I don't wander up and down Laural Ave too much anyway.:rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
10-23-2007, 13:16
... I don't wander up and down Laural Ave too much anyway.:rolleyes:

You can say that again! I've been in Damascus about 5 times over the past two months and I have yet to find you. (I've enjoyed my dinners at the Baja anyway so it wasn't a total loss.) :D

Wonder
10-23-2007, 13:19
Well, darn it!! Let me know, and I"ll come outta hiding!

musicwoman
10-23-2007, 13:31
And as long as we're still off topic, lets all hope that those out on the west coast, who are losing their homes and livelihoods to wildfires right now, come out of this OK. We are losing alot of very beautiful, pristine natural areas right now. I hope the toll on flora and fauna (including people) doesn't prove to be as bad as I think its going to be.

D'Artagnan
10-23-2007, 13:32
Well, darn it!! Let me know, and I"ll come outta hiding!

You've got a deal.

After getting back to the internet Monday, I discovered we were in the same neighborhood over the weekend too. I did Massie Gap through the Highlands to the summit of Mt. Rogers and back on Sunday. The foliage was AMAZING! I got to catch a bit of the meteor shower on my drive up before the sun appeared. I'll bet Scales was a great spot for viewing. (Color me green)

We now return you to your regular programming. Please pardon the interruption. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 13:33
shoulda put it in the NON AT forum

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 13:41
(I never knew how to do that either.......thanks for the lesson all!)
Rock: Hiking with you would be an honor!
I don't know how it would be an honor. It might be a real hoot, but I don't know about it being an honor.;)

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 13:42
I don't know how it would be an honor. It might be a real hoot, but I don't know about it being an honor.;)

she smokes cigars and drinks bourbon too

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 13:45
she smokes cigars and drinks bourbon too
Man, that is my kind of lady.

How about pluralistic marriage?

Never mind, my wife doesn't - so the point is moot.

But hiking together would be a hoot.

Wonder
10-23-2007, 13:55
I may not be a lady.....but I do enjoy the simple pleasures in life! If I get this job I'm after, you're all invited over for a Glenfiddich!

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 13:56
Sounds like a winner. Good luck with that Wonder

Gray Blazer
10-23-2007, 14:02
hahahaha, sorry about my outburst to ya..........

God bless that multiquote :p

I always wondered how you did this.

Alligator
10-23-2007, 14:06
I always wondered how you did this.We're on a roll here, someone go teach JAK and Monkeyboy:D .

D'Artagnan
10-23-2007, 14:22
I may not be a lady.....but I do enjoy the simple pleasures in life! If I get this job I'm after, you're all invited over for a Glenfiddich!

I'll bring the Macanudos. ;)

chief
10-23-2007, 14:37
And as long as we're still off topic, lets all hope that those out on the west coast, who are losing their homes and livelihoods to wildfires right now, come out of this OK. We are losing alot of very beautiful, pristine natural areas right now. I hope the toll on flora and fauna (including people) doesn't prove to be as bad as I think its going to be.Sure, I feel bad for the people losing their homes and such, but let's not go overboard in referring to these areas as "pristine and natural". They are only pristine since the last wildfires. It's a never ending cycle, Santa Ana winds cause wildfires to destroy homes - which are rebuilt, then mud slides destroy homes (since the stabilizing underbrush is gone) - again rebuilt. It was the same when I lived there in the 70s, except fewer homes to be destroyed back then. The flora and fauna have much more to fear than fires.

musicwoman
10-23-2007, 14:57

Wow, that's one of my favorite cigars......no joke.....

I am also partial to Partagas humitubes.....

Wonder
10-23-2007, 15:01
Oh, another female cigar lover! You're invited! My interview is this aternoon, so lets all hope for a smokey scotch filled party!!!

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 15:31
We're on a roll here, someone go teach JAK and Monkeyboy:D .
I plan to at the next oportunity.

Mmmmmm

Wow, that's one of my favorite cigars......no joke.....
Sweeeetttttt
I am also partial to Partagas humitubes.....
AAhhhhhhh....

Oh, another female cigar lover! You're invited! My interview is this aternoon, so lets all hope for a smokey scotch filled party!!!
Why just females? Maybe we should open a Cigar aficionado wing of Billville.

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 15:35
Good luck Wonder. Keep me informed, I'm less than an hour and a half away. Whisky and cigars are 2 of my 3 favorite things. By the way Sarge- if you give me a heads ups on your way through here I'd like to smoke one with you then. Maybe Beauty Spot or the barn?

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 15:45
Good luck Wonder. Keep me informed, I'm less than an hour and a half away. Whisky and cigars are 2 of my 3 favorite things. By the way Sarge- if you give me a heads ups on your way through here I'd like to smoke one with you then. Maybe Beauty Spot or the barn?
Sounds like a winner.

I plan to have a thread going - "Where the Hell is SGT Rock?!?"

So when I log on it is easy to find out where I am and where I am going to be. I look forward to steaks, bourbon, cigars, and good company.

Tabasco
10-23-2007, 16:04
hey rock, I was on the lakeshore trail this weekend with a flask of straight from the barrel wild turkey, mmmmmmmmm

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:10
I was on Max Patch drinking some of Kentucky's finest. I also got to try some apple wine - not bad.

I've got a few jugs of the good stuff here though.

Tabasco
10-23-2007, 16:12
hope your view of the meteors was better than ours. the view sucked from 76 and 86

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:14
The view was good, but the wind made it to where we didn't want to stay out there long. Back to the tarps and hammocks to get out of the wind.

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 16:24
hey rock, I was on the lakeshore trail this weekend with a flask of straight from the barrel wild turkey, mmmmmmmmm
Hope you didn't carry that over the dam. I got a citation from an over officious TVA cop years ago. I was at the Fontana hilton ready to start a hike into the park the next morning. He came and started talking to me. Finally he asks me if I had any alcohol or firearms on me or in my vehicle. I stupidly told him I had an unopened traveler under the seat in my truck in the parking lot. He wrote me a ticket but he didn't take the booze.

Tabasco
10-23-2007, 16:29
I was headed East to West, so by the time I got to the Dam, it was empty.....

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 16:33
If you have booze at Fontana keep it inconspicuous. It's legal in the Smokies but you can't (legally) take it over TVA property into the park. Go figure.

SGT Rock
10-23-2007, 16:34
If you hike the BMT you don't have to go over Fontanna dam.

CherrypieScout
10-23-2007, 18:02
I agree that Jenny's is the best place to stay - best bathtub, best breakfast, best company. I go back there on a regular bais to visit Jenny and the folks and MRO.

Sly
10-23-2007, 18:19
The flora and fauna have much more to fear than fires.

Yeah, like urban sprawl. :mad:

Gray Blazer
10-23-2007, 18:23
I sure am learning a lot about Dave's Place.:rolleyes:

Wonder
10-23-2007, 19:29
I find out for sure this weekend!!!! Maybe a party sooN!

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 19:48
I sure am learning a lot about Dave's Place.:rolleyes:
Huh? I thought this was about paganism and cigars. Who's Dave?

rafe
10-23-2007, 19:52
Huh? I thought this was about paganism and cigars. Who's Dave?

Dave's not here. :D

Wonder
10-23-2007, 19:54
HAhahahahha........AHhhhhh the times they are a changin'! Bring on the burbon!

Belew
10-23-2007, 20:06

Party at your place? :banana

Wonder
10-23-2007, 20:23
Sure...why not? My neighbor already thinks I'm insane!!!! I have a red blaze on my door......you can only imagine what he thinks THAT means.

Think Spring
10-23-2007, 20:50
HOWDY,IM OPENING A NEW HOSTEL ON MAY 1 NEAR FRONT ROYAL VA.LOCATED .2 BEFORE EXITING SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK(GOING NORTH)FOLLOW COMPTON GAP TRAIL(SIGN SAYS STATE ROUTE 610 .5). I HAVE 12 BUNKS AND A LIVING ROOM AND AN OUTSIDE DECK BUT BUT VERY LITTLE IN KITCKEN FACILITIES.PLEASE HELP ME GET THE WORD OUT TO THIS YEARS HIKERS AS I DIDNT GET IN THE COMPANION GUIDE,IM MIKE EVANS(THE GRATEFUL GREENPEACE GUY A.T.95,PCT98)540-631-0777,304 CHESTER GAP ROAD CHESTER GAP VA.22623,THANKS $13.00 WITH SHOWER ,LAUNDRY AND FREE RIDE TO FRONT ROYAL.
Are you going to post some kind of a notice at that point where the AT intersects with the road? Planning to coordinate shuttle service to town as well?

TOW
10-24-2007, 07:10
There is a adage in AA -- Well over five people have told me Wally's behavior is a problem. No one has told me HighLife's behavior is a problem in any incident except his interaction with Wally.

Oh yeah? Show me a quote I posted about loving up on Wally in the beginning of this thread?

Am I invited?

Dave's not here. :D

Hey Dave? Hey man, you in there...................?

Sure...why not? My neighbor already thinks I'm insane!!!! I have a red blaze on my door......you can only imagine what he thinks THAT means.

Well I got a blue blaze on my front porch, I wonder what the locals think that means?

Gray Blazer
10-24-2007, 07:40
Who taught Larry that multi-quote thing. You've created a monster!:eek:

dixicritter
10-24-2007, 07:46
Who taught Larry that multi-quote thing. You've created a monster!:eek:

LOL.... I was thinking.... "By George I think he's got it!"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-24-2007, 08:00
Oh yeah? Show me a quote I posted about loving up on Wally in the beginning of this thread?The following entry was the one that had me thinking you were giving Larry a bit more leeway due to his faith (must be read in context to see how I got that idea), but in rereading it I realize that isn't what you meant. My apologies.
As a man of faith, sometimes we don't know which way to go. But the point is I have to put one foot in front of the other and I believe without a doubt that what ever venture I take that those doors that need to be opened to me or that need to be closed to me will happen by the Hand of MY God in whom I choose to believe in.

TOW
10-24-2007, 12:56
LOL.... I was thinking.... "By George I think he's got it!"

who says you can't teach a fat boy a thing or two...........?

The following entry was the one that had me thinking you were giving Larry a bit more leeway due to his faith (must be read in context to see how I got that idea), but in rereading it I realize that isn't what you meant. My apologies.
Apologies accepted. "hey baliff, 40 lashings with a very soggy wet ramen noodle!"

Overpass
10-24-2007, 15:05
Whew, that was a lot of reading. Don't know what all that religious crap was in there for, but anyway.

I am disgusted that any business would permit an employee to act this way. They need to fire his ass. I personally will be boycotting the place as long as this moron is allowed to work there.

What are the alternatives to MRO as far as outfitters in Damascus who cater to backpackers, not the bike crowd? Where could a hiker get, for instance, a new thermarest or have a pack repair done?

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 15:12
Whew, that was a lot of reading. Don't know what all that religious crap was in there for, but anyway.

I am disgusted that any business would permit an employee to act this way. They need to fire his ass. I personally will be boycotting the place as long as this moron is allowed to work there.

What are the alternatives to MRO as far as outfitters in Damascus who cater to backpackers, not the bike crowd? Where could a hiker get, for instance, a new thermarest or have a pack repair done?

SunDog Outfitter (http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/)

They carry some top-notch brands, too.

Overpass
10-24-2007, 15:15
SunDog Outfitter (http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/)

They carry some top-notch brands, too.

Good to know, thanks. Are they the ones over by the icecream place, across from Dots?

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 15:18
Yean, and the guy was nice. MRO has a broader and deeper selection, though. This is all a shame because the owner of MRO is very helpful as well. If there are repeated problems and more business shifts over to Sundog, I'm sure they'll expand their selection.

Creek Dancer
10-24-2007, 15:19
They accross the street from Dots, right next to the coffee shop where the Wonderful Wonder works!

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 15:22
They've had years to expand their selection, Tater.

While the people at Sundog are very fine folks, MRO is absolutely a better stocked store for the serious backpacker, and this has been the case for years.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 15:25
Both outfitters carry totally different gear.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 15:29
Hey Tater:

I find it interesting that your sense of liberal outrage is all in a dither when you hear that someone has allegedly made an anti gay slur in a Danascus business, while at the same time, on another thread, someone is supporting your political sentiments by backing you up with links and quotes from a pro-Nazi hate site.

Nice consistency there, Tater.

But so we're not in any doubt, let's get this straight: Slurs against gays are hateful, malicious, and evil. Businesses that employ people who talk like this should be shunned.

But Holocaust denial is OK, and Tater doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

The world according to Tater is a funny place.

Glad I don't live there, tho.

Wonder
10-24-2007, 15:29
Am I invited?

Sure!!! But it's gonna be all Burbon and smokin' cigars!

They accross the street from Dots, right next to the coffee shop where the Wonderful Wonder works!
worked..... But still be sure to look me up when you come thru!!!:sun

Overpass
10-24-2007, 15:30
This is all a shame

Yeah it is, but the resolution of the issue can only come from the owners of MRO.

Y'know the whole hateful/anti-semite thing is abhorrent, but for some reason, the part that really did it for me was hearing that this Wally farktard took the strings off the guitars so that a paying guest at their hostel wouldn't be able to play them. That is nasty, vindictive, childish and sorry, just totally f-ed up.

They won't be getting any of my business next time I'm in town.

dixicritter
10-24-2007, 15:35
There's no reason to be coming in this thread to stir up crap from other threads. There's enough of it in this one to stir as it is.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 15:41
Hey Tater:

I find it interesting that your sense of liberal outrage is all in a dither when you hear that someone has allegedly made an anti gay slur in a Danascus business, while at the same time, on another thread, someone is supporting your political sentiments by backing you up with links and quotes from a pro-Nazi hate site.

Nice consistency there, Tater.

But so we're not in any doubt, let's get this straight: Slurs against gays are hateful, malicious, and evil. Businesses that employ people who talk like this should be shunned.

But Holocaust denial is OK, and Tater doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

The world according to Tater is a funny place.

Glad I don't live there, tho.

Jack, I believe the slur was actually "Jew boy from Boston". Not sure how you get "gay" out of that, but then, I've only visited Boston.

And I don't think I've said anything about Holocaust denial, until this very sentence. You're confusing issues and maybe confusing someone else's posts with mine.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:42
Is this some argument from the political forums?

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 15:43
Is this some argument from the political forums?

yup. Tater runs his piehole all over the board with his crap

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:45
Well leave that crap over there.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 15:47
That's exactly my point, Dix.

There is indeed a lot of crap on this thread.

And I'm not intentionally stirring things up....I'm merely pointing out that it's odd that Tater is so outraged about an anti-gay slur here, but on another thread, he doesn't seem to have any problems whatsoever in having his words and sentiments backed by quotes from a pro-Nazi hate site. All I'm saying, Dix, is that if Tater is gonna come here and be a permanently outraged liberal, he ought to show a little more consistency.

Hate speech is hate speech, and if Tater wishes us to think he's really sincere, he needs to acknowledge this.

Unless, of course, he ain't sincere at all, and his countless posts on this thread are merely bluster.

Alligator
10-24-2007, 15:51
Part of the bargain for the politics forum is that it doesn't spill into the rest of the site. Please respect that bargain.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:52
Yes, if you are going to confront about this, how about doing it in that area.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 15:54
Will do. Tater, see you on the other Forum.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 15:58
Thanks Jack.

Alligator
10-24-2007, 16:03
A bluebird of happiness just landed in the tree outside my window.

rafe
10-24-2007, 16:07

Bettter that than the chicken of depression (http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/images/chicken%20of%20depression.jpg).

Alligator
10-24-2007, 16:14
Bettter that than the chicken of depression (http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/images/chicken%20of%20depression.jpg).LOL. There is a cold rain falling on the little fellow.

Overpass
10-24-2007, 16:35
The only response from Jeff that I've heard was that "It's in the Lord's hands."

Whisky Tango Foxtrot :rolleyes:

So, what, he's too wimpy to fire his own a-hole employee so he expects "the Lord" to do it for him?

Which "lord" anyway? These people need to be more specific about which creature in the sky they worship when they spout crap like this.

D'Artagnan
10-24-2007, 16:37
Bettter that than the chicken of depression (http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/images/chicken%20of%20depression.jpg).

God, I do so love "The Far Side". Gary Larson is a GENIUS!

mudhead
10-24-2007, 16:40
Would someone please start a new thread if and when this issue at MRO is settled? Thanks.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 16:42
Would someone please start a new thread if and when this issue at MRO is settled? Thanks.

maybe you or someone else can call there and ask what is happening

rafe
10-24-2007, 16:46
Whisky Tango Foxtrot :rolleyes:

So, what, he's too wimpy to fire his own a-hole employee so he expects "the Lord" to do it for him?

Which "lord" anyway? These people need to be more specific about which creature in the sky they worship when they spout crap like this.

That pretty much sums up my reaction as well.

Overpass
10-24-2007, 17:07
They've had years to expand their selection, Tater.

While the people at Sundog are very fine folks, MRO is absolutely a better stocked store for the serious backpacker, and this has been the case for years.Well, thank (insert favorite creature-in-the-sky here :D ) that there are the great online outfitters. If you know you'll be needing something in Damascus, just call ahead to Sundog. If they don't have it, REI or EMS can prob get it in the mail to ya same day.

Y'know, some hikers are struggling with depression and are thru-ing in hopes of helping their recovery. The symptoms can be worsened dramatically by extreme fatigue, pain, poor nutrition, etc. Which is exactly the state that many hikers arrive in a trail town in. Sometimes all it takes is one nasty idiot deliberatley being a dick to just drive depressed folks right into the ground when they're already at the end of their emotional resources. And then to have some a**shole sling racial slurs at you, wake you up on purpose, and even vandalize amenenties at the hostel? Geez. Trail towns are suppose to be places to rejuvenate, re-supply and rest. This "Wally" farktard needs to be kept away from hikers.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 17:15
Um, actually the Trail miles leading up to Damascus are about the easiest consecutive 40 miles of the entire Trail, Overpass.

And most of the hikers had a nice rest and great food at Kincora just three days before.

So your perception that they arrive in Damascus fatigued, in pain, and malnourished is more than a little ridiculous.

And if Overpass is truly worried about someone's frail mental state being irrevocably hurt by an insensitive remark, and if he's truly concerned that this sort of thing might end someone's trip, he might also want to look at the other side of the coin......the numebr of folks who have had their trips SAVED by the good folks at Mount Rogers Outfitters is too numerous to count.

Some of the folks here might want to remember that.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 17:20
an insensitive remark,

I must immediately speak up to condemn Mr. Jack Tarlin's dismissal of "Jew boy from Boston" as merely "an insensitive remark". I absolutely condemn any form of slur based on a person's immutable characteristics, in this case ethnicity. I find it appalling and not something that anyone should stand for or support in any way. I know that Mr. Tarlin is a better person than one who supports ethnic hatred.

neo
10-24-2007, 17:22
:) i stayed there in 2001:cool: neo

warren doyle
10-24-2007, 17:30
Entertaining to read a little internetgator fratricide.

rafe
10-24-2007, 17:31
Jack, the fact that the trail is easy south of Damascus has no bearing whatsoever on whether hikers are likely to be happy or sad upon their arrival there.

IIRC, arrival in Damascus is a fairly significant event for most NOBO thru-hikers; a milestone, of sorts. Some of those hikers are wavering and wondering about whether to continue or not. We know for a fact that plenty of hikers bail in Virginia. (Myself among them.)

I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't help but notice that your posts have been 100% in support of "the good folks" at MRO. Nobody's denying MRO's "usefulness" to hikers in general. The discussion concerns one apparently disturbed employee. It seems fair to ask that that individual be dealt with -- and if he isn't, it seems fair that folks would take their business elsewhere, or at least be warned of the situation.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 17:34
Entertaining to read a little internetgator fratricide.

Hey, Mr. Doyle, would you please determine the number of a post for Mr. Tarlin over in the active politics thread about the border fortifications?

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 17:41
I see that Tater is "appalled" and that Mr. Doyle is "entertained."

Well, Tater is easily outraged and Mr. Doyle is evidently easily amused.

Obviously, I'm not in favor of what Wally allegedly said or did, and Tater knows this.

My posts from the outset, were a reminder to folks to get both sides of the story before passing judgement, and in adition,a reminder to folks of the countless good deeds done over the years by the owners and staff of MRO.

If people wish to forget these years of service to the hiking community because of an unfortunate incident, there's nothing I can do about it, Terrapin. And if they wish to patronize another store because of this, even an inferior one, that is also their affair.

But I submit that if we boycotted every single place on the Trail where someone, at one time or another, reported being outraged by the level of service they'd received there, we'd have be left with exactly one place on the entire A.T.

And while Kincora is a truly wonderful place, one hiker facilty just isn't enough.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 17:51
But I submit that if we boycotted every single place on the Trail where someone, at one time or another, reported being outraged by the level of service they'd received there, we'd have be left with exactly one place on the entire A.T.

There is indeed a very significant difference between being the subject of ethnic slurs and having a complaint about the "level of service".

Mr. Tarlin, it is admirable to be loyal to your friends, and it is prudent to ask for facts, but it is another thing to be blind to something as abhorrent as the slur that has been reported.

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2007, 18:01
Actually, Tater, I've been anything but "blind" in regards to this matter.

Please go back and read my first post on this thread, #22, in which I suggested restraint, and that it was really important to get all sides of this story.

Which I'm still not sure has been accomplished.

For all we know, maybe Wally HAS been admonished or punished. Maybe he HAS been warned about this behavior and that any sort of recurrence will have serious consequences.

For all we know, this matter has been dealt with by MRO.

But I reiterate......if outraged Internet warriors demanded a boycott everytime a problem was reported by a pissed off hiker, there wouldn't be any places still in operation.

If you wanna shop elsewhere, Tater, feel free, nothing's stopping you. Considering your vitriol here, the folks at MRO probably want you in their place of business about as much as you do.

So take your show on the road and shop elsewhere.

But I think this has pretty much been beaten to death.

Sly
10-24-2007, 18:14

I have a lizard hanging out inside my window bay. He also crawls on the sill from time to time. I saw him catch a fly once, that was cool, but I'm afraid his food sources are drying up. Any suggestions?

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 19:23
I must immediately speak up to condemn Mr. Jack Tarlin's dismissal of "Jew boy from Boston" as merely "an insensitive remark". I absolutely condemn any form of slur based on a person's immutable characteristics, in this case ethnicity. I find it appalling and not something that anyone should stand for or support in any way. I know that Mr. Tarlin is a better person than one who supports ethnic hatred.

hey dumbass. being jewish is a religion not an ethnicity

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 19:25
Jack, the fact that the trail is easy south of Damascus has no bearing whatsoever on whether hikers are likely to be happy or sad upon their arrival there.

IIRC, arrival in Damascus is a fairly significant event for most NOBO thru-hikers; a milestone, of sorts. Some of those hikers are wavering and wondering about whether to continue or not. We know for a fact that plenty of hikers bail in Virginia. (Myself among them.)

I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't help but notice that your posts have been 100% in support of "the good folks" at MRO. Nobody's denying MRO's "usefulness" to hikers in general. The discussion concerns one apparently disturbed employee. It seems fair to ask that that individual be dealt with -- and if he isn't, it seems fair that folks would take their business elsewhere, or at least be warned of the situation.

yup. right on the mark

rickb
10-24-2007, 19:35

For some, anyway.

For others its both.

For others its the other.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 19:51
For some, anyway.

For others its both.

For others its the other.

I think if you substitute similar adjectives in the the phrase "xxxxxx boy from Boston" you'll come to the conclusion that it was more likely an ethnic slur than a religious one in this case, although you're correct in that it can be difficult to separate the two.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 19:52

self-p0wned

Alligator
10-24-2007, 19:52
I have a lizard hanging out inside my window bay. He also crawls on the sill from time to time. I saw him catch a fly once, that was cool, but I'm afraid his food sources are drying up. Any suggestions?I'm not feeding him my bluebird if that's what you're asking:mad: ;) .

rafe
10-24-2007, 19:59

It's both, Wolf. There are those of us who call ourselves Jews yet don't buy into the religious part of it. When the Nazis rounded up my grandparents, they didn't give a rat's a$$ what they actually believed (or didn't believe).

I'm very much a Jew by ethnicity, even though I'm an atheist.

Google on "jewish atheist" if you care to pursue the matter. You may learn something. Or not.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 20:09
Jeez y'all. I go out to dinner and come back to all this arguing again. I don't see anyone covering anything new here.

I declare halftime...