PDA

View Full Version : Critique of Ozark Trails 40 degree bag (Wally World)

permagrin
07-06-2014, 19:55
Hello fellow hikers. I'm going to be doing some summer camping this year-and passed by this Ozark Trails 40 degree sleeping bag in Wal Mart. Does anyone have the skinny on it? Used it before? Is the dang thing any good, or perhaps its a Marmot with another sales name? Was just wondering if I could get your input. And no,for the record, not much of my stuff comes from Wal Mart :)
Thanks!

Ricky&Jack
07-06-2014, 20:00
is it the green one int he compressed bag?

if so, it was a bit narrow for me.

im 6'2" and I weigh 250 lbs.

It was really hard to roll onto my side without my feet tangling up and my shoulder being crowded.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-06-2014, 20:16
Errrggg....DO NOT BE ASHAMED OF HAVING GEAR FROM WALMART!!!!

My grandson's cold weather bag is an Ozark Trail 0* synthetic and it worked perfectly on our winter overnight in Harriman (down to 17* that night) and we slept in the shelter (no extra insulation from a tent). If the product fits your needs....and your budget...it's the perfect product for you, regardless of the name on the tag or where it came from. More than half our gear is from Wallyworld, and we're fine with it. Now granted, we're not "thrus" and we don't put our gear through any difficult paces, but if your needs are satisfied with a $30 bag or pack rather than a $300 one, consider yourself a happy camper!

Marmot, shmarmot :p

Likeapuma
07-06-2014, 21:11
I have the 32° WM Ozarks bag... Bought it with the intentions of hacking it into a TQ, & so far it's performed admirably. Got a little chilly one night where it dipped into the lower 30's, but I only had a silk weight tee on.

Full disclosure: This is my first down bag, so I don't have anything quality to compare it to.

For much more discussion on the bags, those crazy hangers over at HammockForums have a nice long thread!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69242
Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

Likeapuma
07-06-2014, 21:15
I have the 32° WM Ozarks bag... Bought it with the intentions of hacking it into a TQ, & so far it's performed admirably. Got a little chilly one night where it dipped into the lower 30's, but I only had a silk weight tee on.

Full disclosure: This is my first down bag, so I don't have anything quality to compare it to.

For much more discussion on the bags, those crazy hangers over at HammockForums have a nice long thread!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69242
Walmart Ozark Trails Down Sleeping Bag

Edit: They've been able to get them for cheap by getting a "bundle buy" & returning the other components lol. For around $50, Idk of there's a "thriftier" Buy!

permagrin
07-07-2014, 13:07
Hiya Ricky and Jack-
Now I am not sure if it was green or blue, but it was about football sized when compressed. Sure beat my 4.5 pound winter bag (since I will be hiking solo in summer). I am gonna go pick one up later this evening and give it thorough going over. Mebbe add a thermal blanket inside for an extra 10 degrees or so of comfort. I read a lot of the reviews from www.hammockforums.net and it seem like lots of folks use it for a top or bottom quilt in their hammocks. For 40 bucks, I am willing to give it a shake down cruise over a few nights :)

Ricky&Jack
07-07-2014, 13:10
basically if its your first bag, go with the cheapest you can afford.

then when you upgrade, you will be excited and have something better to look forward to.

No shame is starting cheap. Most of us did.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2014, 14:34
Are we talking about the 32* down that compresses to the size of a softball and weighs 1 lb? They're not available in my area anymore and I wanted to grab one for my younger grandson. Retails at $79 ? I was skeptical when I first saw it and couldn't believe anything that thin and light could actually be warm, but I've been so satisfied with the 0* OT synthetic (a whopping $29) that I'm much more willing to give this one a shot. (plus I get a % at WW, so what's to lose?)

TNhiker
07-07-2014, 14:35
basically if its your first bag, go with the cheapest you can afford.

then when you upgrade, you will be excited and have something better to look forward to.

i disagree with this....

get a bag that is quality and within a budget......

WingedMonkey
07-07-2014, 15:35
Is the dang thing any good, or perhaps its a Marmot with another sales name?

Who knows in the strange world of company ownership?

Ozark Trail is produced by American Rec.

American Rec produces Kelty, Siera Desighns, Slumberjack, Wenzel and others.

America Rec is owned by a bunch of money men (private equity firm) in Boca Raton called Sun Capital Partners.

Sun Capital Partners owns stuff from Boston Markets to Hickory Farms.

PatmanTN
07-07-2014, 15:38
check this out : http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ozark-trail/cocoon-200/#review30504

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2014, 16:41
check this out : http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ozark-trail/cocoon-200/#review30504

This is the one I'm looking for! They're $10 more in RI/MA, and apparently no longer available in the stores.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2014, 16:42
i disagree with this....

get a bag that is quality and within a budget......

Starting cheap is better than not starting at all....sometimes that IS the budget :)

Ricky&Jack
07-07-2014, 16:55
Yeah, i think its better to start cheap ($30 bag or less) and then find out what you like/dislike.

You may decide you want a mummy bag, decide to hammock etc instead.

Start cheap.
Find out what you like/dislike.
etc.

Much better than springing for a $200 bag before your first overnight.

TNhiker
07-07-2014, 17:20
Yeah, i think its better to start cheap ($30 bag or less) and then find out what you like/dislike.

im going to find out that a 30 dollar bag is not suited for me and wish i had used that money to go towards a better bag......

what id rather do than spend 30 bucks to find that out----is to do some research..........internet.........going into stores.....etc........

i should know before i spend the money whether or not i like a mummy bag or hammock.........

wormer
07-07-2014, 17:28
I recently purchased a Texsport Olympia from Wal-Mart, rated to 25 degrees. It cost $26.38 with the shipping included. I really like the idea that I don't have to worry about it being lost or damaged, at that price I would just get another one. Its a little heavy at >4lbs, but makes up for it by being roomy. It's filling is 40% hollow fill & 60% polyester. The lining is 100% polyester and the cover is 100% polyester. I have only had it out once at freezing temperature and it worked well.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2014, 17:36
im going to find out that a 30 dollar bag is not suited for me and wish i had used that money to go towards a better bag......

what id rather do than spend 30 bucks to find that out----is to do some research..........internet.........going into stores.....etc........

i should know before i spend the money whether or not i like a mummy bag or hammock.........

That's a great approach and I think it's great that you've found a system that suits you....shopping-wise. I'm a fan of research, but still couldn't bring myself to spend a ton on a piece of gear in the early days of a newly acquired interest. That's just me. My point here is not to dispute what you're saying, but to offer an alternative opinion.

Mostly, I don't want any new hiker to feel bad or unworthy that their gear isn't top of the line, and the OP's qualification that "for the record, not much of my stuff comes from Wal Mart" rankles.

Obviously quality is better, but quality is relative to need. And what we're doing here may be exactly what you suggest....research for the best quality one can afford.

TNhiker
07-07-2014, 17:42
And what we're doing here may be exactly what you suggest....research for the best quality one can afford.

thats what im saying.......

since im on a limited budget-----id rather do my research first to wisely spend my money....

and trust me----except for a few things---most of my gear comes from target (great deals on fleece) and other discount outlets.........

but, i will spend the money needed to get quality for the "big 4"----boots, tent, pack, and sleeping bag........and even for those---i dont pay full price..........its so easy nowadaze to find discounts or specials or what ever ya wanna call it to get good quality gear at a substanstial discount.........

Teacher & Snacktime
07-07-2014, 17:51
I'm with you there.....Walmart and Target are my big 2.....in Feb, the clearance sales at Target supplied us with most of our small gear items: headlamps, lights, waterbottle, etc. I bought nothing that wasn't AT LEAST 50% off :) Dick's Sporting Goods was to go to place for clothing and tent.....same idea but nothing less than 70% off. LOVE A BARGAIN!

Likeapuma
07-07-2014, 17:58
YOU might be able to afford "not skimping" on certain things... You also have experience & know what you want from gear.

A person just getting into this might not have those same luxuries. In that case, threads like this will help them out to find something that's affordable & still a decent piece of gear they can grow from.

Is this the best bag out there? No. Is it lacking in certain areas? Sure. But for someone looking to do hiking a few times a year, this might be the perfect fit for their budget. I'm sure everyone would like to own a JRB or Enlightened quilt... But a new pack & shoes could be bought for the price of some bag options.

Likeapuma
07-07-2014, 17:59
This is the one I'm looking for! They're $10 more in RI/MA, and apparently no longer available in the stores.

Look online for sales that have other items included (I've heard of cots, pads, flashlights, etc.) & bring back whatever you don't want... They'll give you money back lol.

Bronk
07-07-2014, 18:19
I hiked 850 miles with a $10 fifty degree bag I got at Walmart. And I've used the $29.99 two man tent they sell at Walmart for years now. I'm on my 3rd one. They usually last me 2 or 3 years doing about 20 camping trips a year.

bobp
07-07-2014, 19:56

You may decide you want a mummy bag, decide to hammock etc instead.

Start cheap.
Find out what you like/dislike.
etc.

Much better than springing for a $200 bag before your first overnight.

I disagree slightly. If you don't know what you like or need and then you dislike the cheap mummy bag, how do you know whether it is the "mummy" or the "cheap" that disagrees with you? You can spend a lot of money on cheap stuff, trying to find the right stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree that you shouldn't drop a ton of money up front. Find a place that rents gear, join a club with a loan program, borrow from a friend, or just go to a store and try out the nicest (which may not be the most expensive, but will certainly be costly) items you can, and try out a number of them. Get a feel for what fit and features a big budget can buy, and see which ones matter to you. Armed with this knowledge, you can then go out and buy something within your budget that satisfies the most important of your criteria. In my case, I tried out a bunch of $300-$500 sleeping bags, and ended up with a $100 bag (heck of a deal 7 years ago) that I really like. I did the same thing with boots and tried on a bunch of expensive, highly-rated models to figure out what made them worth the money, then I bought a much cheaper pair that had the features important to me.

Don't throw money away on low quality gear, because lousy gear can really ruin an outing. Beg, borrow, or rent it to acquire experience. Then, when you are ready to buy, purchase wisely.

Grinder
07-08-2014, 09:11
I have one of the 32 degree bags. Apparently there are early and late manufacture to consider. Mine is an early. The workmanship is first class. the top of the bag has very little down content, thus causing the bag to be on the cool side. Many have verified this. See the Hammock forum thread, (they really beat a subject to death)

Apparently, later bags , or some of the bags, have more down. Thrifty shoppers have reported opening up every bag in the store to find those with more down. Talk about a Walmart clerks nightmare!!!

Some have added down. some have cut them up and converted into top quilts. (There is lots of down in the hood section of my bag. This could be transferred to the scanty parts of the bag. I'm thinking of going this route.

For the 80 buck list price, I would buy a used Kelty or similar. They go for around $50 if you shop.

MacCherokee
07-08-2014, 10:08
I think the OP was asking about the "40 degree" rectangle I have been eying with curiosity for months. Seems like a decent bag for the $. I managed to snatch a 32 down mummy on clearance for $60. Made it a top quilt. Gets a little chilly below 35, but I am very satisfied for the price. It is very compact and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
07-08-2014, 11:34
Starting cheap is better than not starting at all....sometimes that IS the budget :)

Very true. If a piece of equipment meets one's needs, then its a reasonable choice. I'm all for buying top quality when I can, but not if saving up for it is going to keep me sitting inside. It's more important to know how to buy rather than what to buy. Learn what to look for and buy the best you can and still stay within budget.

Its like the old photographer's saying - The best camera is the one you have with you. I'm a happy Western Mountaineering owner, but A WM (WalMart) bag on the trail beats a WM (Western Mountaineering) bag sitting on the "some day..." wish list while you're sitting on the couch.

misterfloyd
07-08-2014, 11:36
before I left I ordered a Ozark 32 degree down filled bag. I do most AT hiking in the summer in GA, NC, Tenn. so I figure this bag should be fine. Plus liked the price. Recieved the bag, and in the baffles you could see how little down there was. There is no way, I felt good about this. Plus I realized that I would not go down to 32. There are you tube videos of people adding more down to it. I figured by the time I did this I could get a better 40 degree bag. I returned it, and bought a Marmot that was on sale. It will be a good summer bag.

That being said,I do have a lot of basics from walmart, and have problem with that. I hiked with a group last year, and a person had a 3 pound dome tent from there. She seam sealed it very well and served her very well. No problems.

Always looking fora deal, and I never buy at list. However somethings are worth the money. IMHO

All the best,

Floyd

misterfloyd
07-08-2014, 16:15
I'm sorry I need to do a better job of proofing my posts.

I ment to say " I have no problem with that"

Sorry,
Floyd

AO2134
07-09-2014, 21:46
Hello fellow hikers. I'm going to be doing some summer camping this year-and passed by this Ozark Trails 40 degree sleeping bag in Wal Mart. Does anyone have the skinny on it? Used it before? Is the dang thing any good, or perhaps its a Marmot with another sales name? Was just wondering if I could get your input. And no,for the record, not much of my stuff comes from Wal Mart :)
Thanks!

I recently bought a marmot tresles 30 from REI for $99. It is 3 lbs 3 oz. The ozark looks lighter. Did I just make a mistake? I had no clue marmot sleeping bags had a bad reputation

Teacher & Snacktime
07-09-2014, 22:41
I recently bought a marmot tresles 30 from REI for $99. It is 3 lbs 3 oz. The ozark looks lighter. Did I just make a mistake? I had no clue marmot sleeping bags had a bad reputation

I've never heard that Marmot had a bad rep....quite the contrary. My :p was for the idea that you had to buy something because of a name. If you're happy with your new bag, then it's the bag for you! I have a North Face raincoat I bought years ago (on sale) before I ever knew what North Face was. I just liked the coat. Still do, in fact.....6 years later. Quality at a good price IS pretty cool, when you can get it.

permagrin
07-10-2014, 17:30
Hello Hikers. OP here, reporting that I just went ahead and bought that 40 degree Walmart Ozark Trails bag we've all been posting about. I didn't mean to say that Wal Mart has cheap stuff, but sometimes its on the heavy side....ie their metal tent stakes weigh a TON and are better suited to car camping ( or using your burro ) that sticking those stakes in yer backpack. The Ozark Trails 40 degree bag weighs in at just under 2 pounds on my scale-so opting for WM's bag saved me 2 pounds, 2 oz. over my Sierra Designs mummy bag. I'm a gonna be doing summer camping, so I think it will work fine-if it starts threatening to snow, I am gonna get off the trail and do some Motel 6 camping. I really appreciate all the comments and helpful info on this thread..... an' yea- Over on the hammock site, they have something like 10 pages of opinions on this bag-they really know how to discuss a topic! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-10-2014, 18:51
I didn't mean to say that Wal Mart has cheap stuff, but sometimes its on the heavy side....ie their metal tent stakes weigh a TON and are better suited to car camping

Just too heavy? Not embarrassed? Well, THAT'S entirely different..........nevermind :rolleyes: