PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands (Thomas Knob and Wise Shelters) VA

Apexsummit
07-07-2014, 12:27
Does anyone have a current water report for the Thomas Knob and Wise shelters in the Grayson Highland VA area?

Tron-Life
07-07-2014, 20:31
The closest town to that area is Whitetop VA. Try doing a temerature check for that or for Mt Rogers Wilderness Area. I was at both of these shelters during spring break when the day time temps were about 45-50 and in the low 30s at night. Thomas Knob is high up there elevation wise but the shelter is well constructed and is behind a big rock so its warmer than you would think.

In general, the rule of thumb is to subtract 3 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation gain, though I usually find that it is about 5. So find the Whitetop forecast and subtract about 15-25 degrees for elevation.

canoe
07-07-2014, 22:26
I dont think the OP asked about temps or weather but what is the water levels of the springs and creeks

carouselambra
07-07-2014, 22:37
I was there a couple of weeks ago. There is a swift flowing creek within two hundred yards of the Wise Shelter and the water is available year-round. The spring at Thomas Knob would fill a liter in about 25 seconds. A roof gutter has been placed at the spring and the gutter is about a foot of the ground to make for an easy fill of various water containers.

Tron-Life
07-08-2014, 09:17
Whups. Sorry for misreading your post. Water is available at both shelters but be careful to filter/treat your water, especially at Thomas Knob due to all the ponies up there and consider walking north a bit from Wise Shelter to the stream rather then following the marked path to water. When I was there a few months ago, the watering hole was just that, a filthy hole with crayfish or something swimming around. So head my advise and follow that rushing sound to the north and grab your water there.

Deco
07-18-2014, 00:03
Kicking this thread back up to see if the springs in this area are still in good shape. Heading there in a few days. Thanks!