PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with feet growing on a thru-hike?

JJMorse
07-07-2014, 18:46
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a custom trail runner (or two) and utilizing resoles during my 2015 thru. My one worry with this strategy is that I have heard feet can grow on a thru-hike to the point where your original shoe won't fit anymore and you need to go up a half-size or full-size.

My question is, what are your experiences with your foot size changing during extended backpacking, and how did your original shoe conform to the foot? I imagine that the shoe would expand with my foot - to a point - but I'm imagining a point where the material can't expand any more and I would start to rub and develop blisters.

I've backpacked for 18 days before a couple times, and had no issues with this. I only worry because of hearsay.

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2014, 18:59
Feet swell not grow. As you hike, without great support the foot flattens and the tendon stretches. Fat on the pads of the foot disappear, So there is the appearance of the foot going up a size or two. An older person also has issues with fluid build up around the foot and ankles. I have read in the past that a few people have bleeding around the hips. Feel free to check with a podiatrist... This information came from direct conversations with my doctor and podiatrist.

You are 26? you need not worry - unless you have weight issues - try several sizes at a hiking store and make sure you have a 1/8 or more in the toe box down hill.

JJMorse
07-07-2014, 19:10
Thank you, I'm 26 and 160 pounds (pack weight will be around 30lbs when maxed out on food and water).

rocketsocks
07-07-2014, 19:11
Feet swell not grow. As you hike, without great support the foot flattens and the tendon stretches. Fat on the pads of the foot disappear, So there is the appearance of the foot going up a size or two. An older person also has issues with fluid build up around the foot and ankles. I have read in the past that a few people have bleeding around the hips. Feel free to check with a podiatrist... This information came from direct conversations with my doctor and podiatrist.

You are 26? you need not worry - unless you have weight issues - try several sizes at a hiking store and make sure you have a 1/8 or more in the toe box down hill.This exactly!

July
07-07-2014, 20:54

You are 26? you need not worry - unless you have weight issues - try several sizes at a hiking store and make sure you have a 1/8 or more in the toe box down hill.

Woo, you are correct. However, look back in time, as to the "modern" conditioning of human feet. ie sales of shoes. Centuries ago we have humans traversing, literally, thousands of miles in a lifetime. They traveled in "made" footwear ie skins, wraps, etc (point non-constricting) If the human foot is not constricted (in modern times from birth) and given the chance to meet the terra firma in it's natural form. The foot will develope naturally in stresses. When you wear ill fitted shoes from an early age, then take off treking and your feet swell, hum.... I do realize some are going to say... BUT MY shoes ALWAYS fit me PERFECTLY!

MuddyWaters
07-07-2014, 21:04
Well, Ill tell ya. When I was 22, I wore a size 9.5. Today, I wear an 11.5 and Im hitting the ends. And my feet, arent swollen.

Technically, bones cannot supposedly grow once the endplates harden. But, the joints between them might become more spacious, and there are a whole lot of joints in the foot.

Heres the thing, they still seem to be getting bigger slowly.

colorado_rob
07-07-2014, 21:05
My feet have grown one full size over the last 10 years or so. They have not "swelled". Swelling implies that left alone they would revert to original size.

Of course, I'm much older (58), but since I started long distance hiking (10 years ago) my feet have definitely grown from 9.5 to 10.5 in all my shoes. I even now buy size 11 hikers now and put an extra footbed in to take up some space, then remove footbeds for around camp.

soilman
07-07-2014, 21:50
I don't know what caused it, but when I started my thru hike I wore size 10.5 like I have for the past 30 years. By the time I hit VT I was wearing size 11.5. Four years later I am still at 11.5 and all my older shoes do not fit. If my feet are swollen, I don't know when the swelling will go down.

Koozy
07-07-2014, 22:02
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a custom trail runner (or two) and utilizing resoles during my 2015 thru. My one worry with this strategy is that I have heard feet can grow on a thru-hike to the point where your original shoe won't fit anymore and you need to go up a half-size or full-size.

My question is, what are your experiences with your foot size changing during extended backpacking, and how did your original shoe conform to the foot? I imagine that the shoe would expand with my foot - to a point - but I'm imagining a point where the material can't expand any more and I would start to rub and develop blisters.

I've backpacked for 18 days before a couple times, and had no issues with this. I only worry because of hearsay.

I'm currently thru hiking the trail and experienced considerable swelling in my feet. I started in a La Sportiva size 11.5. These shoes with a half size larger than what I usually wear. By the time I reached the NOC (approx 130 miles) I had to increase to a size 13. The outfitter at the NOC made me aware of tearing in the outsides of my shoes, next to my pinky toes. The blisters on my pinky toes from forcing them into the corner of my shoes was another tell take sign. I needed a shoe with a larger toe box and Keen shoes are the ones that fit best. Since Keen only makes full sizes, I had a little bit too much wiggle room in my shoe, and half way through the Smokies (about 75 miles after I purchased the shoes) I developed painful blisters on the balls of my feet. I added Spenco insoles once I got to Hot Springs, and since then I haven't had any other issues with my shoes.

sfdoc
07-07-2014, 22:05
When I was in the Army back in 1970, my jump boots were 10 1/2. Now I take a 11 1/2 to 12, depending on the brand. Just saying.

burger
07-07-2014, 22:12
I added a half size during my first 900 mile section on the AT. You can buy fancy shoes, but there is a substantial risk you'd be throwing away money if your feet grew or swelled or changed in size or whatever.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2014, 22:15
I wore the same half size larger from the start of my thru hike to the end of my thru hike.

Still do. My feet are still the same size.

rocketsocks
07-07-2014, 23:08
My feet swell every time I take a long walk...several miles or more. My current sneakers I bought a 1/2 size larger (longer) to accommodate for the width ie; larger, longer = wider (for the most part, and to my way of thinking, but between 1/2 sizes it may not make all that much difference, but it's workin for me). What I really wanted was a shoe in the same size, but with a wider width Letter, but because they didn't have the next size width, I just went with the lager overall size, again for me it's working, I think most will find there is not a one size fits all so to speak on the issue of size, length, swolleness, and big green feet hulkism. But I think we can all agree that when you work your feet...they get bigger, how much is an individual thing.

July
07-07-2014, 23:19
See SF Doc

Don H
07-08-2014, 06:10
If you haven't done a lot of hiking before expect you feet to increase in volume due to increased muscle and thickening of your foot pad.

peakbagger
07-08-2014, 07:01
I used to wear wide shoes, after sectioning the AT, I had to swap to EEEE

Grinder
07-08-2014, 08:45
I started hiking seven years ago when I was 68 or so. I had worn size 9 1/2 shoes for my whole life, without problems. For years I was on my feet all day.

As soon as I started long distance hiking, my shoes became tight and uncomfortable. I migrated (in steps) up to size 11 regular looking for more width. It finally dawned on my that they made varying widths for a reason. I went back to 10 1/2 wide.

For the record, I have the long second toe syndrome which complicates sizing a bit.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if your comfortable shoe size changed fairly quickly. For that reason, I would be reluctant to buy a "lifetime" supply of shoes.

Just Bill
07-08-2014, 09:12

I'm more interested in what these custom trail runners are? And why do you feel you need to commit to these shoes when there are many great non-custom options?

FWIW- I am a 10.5- I wear a 12 in nearly every brand that fits me well.
Size up a 1/2 size for swelling/loading/etc.
Size up a 1/2 size for heavier socks if this is what you prefer (I do)
The last half size is personal preference on my part. (see below)
If wearing minimalist shoes with thin socks or no socks I go with 11.5 (only one size up)

Unlike many runners and other folks- I have never had "black toe" or lost a nail. I choose shoes that fit well in the heel and midfoot, lace them differently than most (see pic), lacelock the top if needed (not shown), and give my forefoot and toes plenty of room to wiggle. Because the heel and midfoot fit tight, my feet doesn't slide or develop blisters. Even with heavy socks and after a long day I still don't have any issues. With normal socks, no pack, and fresh- I have a full finger's worth of room (a half to full size) in the shoe.27669