PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a ULA backpack?

lilygrrrl1
10-03-2005, 19:33
hi all!

i really need to clean my ULA backpack...esp. the shoulder straps! it's REALLY stinky!! :eek:

any suggestions on proper cleaning methods? ((i see brian - ULA's proprietor - is out hiking until november...))

thanks folks! :sun
krinkles

Smile
10-03-2005, 19:37
Dont know about ULA, but I washed all my gear ( took off the should strap and belt attachement and washed separately on gentle in the washer. The body of the bag I took first to the tub, then into the shower for a hose down and outside dry.
It's an Osprey Aether though....

Chickety
10-03-2005, 20:55
I took the framesheet out of my ULA (P2) and threw the whole thing in a front loader, then into the dryer............no problems...well except getting the framesheet back in and having it fit comfortably, but that was only a problem for a day or two, then it must have molded back to my body. (it was digging into my lower back and rubbing a bit) But it came out clean and smelled great for a whole day! :)

Seeker
10-03-2005, 23:35
i have a golite gust, and i just hand wash it in the sink... in some spots, like the underside of the top of the shoulder straps, where the sweat and dirt really get ground in, i put liquid detergent directly on the 'stain' and rub it in. i let it sit for a while, then use a small nail brush afterwards, to really loosen it up... line dry just because i don't like to listen to the cord lock banging around...

chris
10-04-2005, 09:47
As long as you get the frame sheet out, you can run the pack through the washer. I would do so several times as it takes a while to get the funk out. Another method is to fill up the bathtub and add some laundry soap. Soak, agitate, etc.

tlbj6142
10-04-2005, 10:48
I swear there is some sort of get-the-funk-out-of-your-gear treatment available. Anyone else recall this? Maybe from the same folks that have the down and DWR stuff?

MarcnNJ
10-04-2005, 11:30
I have yet to figure out how to get my framesheet out of my P2......its very comfortable the way it came, so i have been hesitant to remove it.....any tips??

Footslogger
10-04-2005, 11:37
I'd spray it with Fabreeze and keep on keepin on. Packs are made of synthetic fabrics that (like our poly T-shirts) trap and hold hiker stank. Stripping down a pack and subjecting it to a washing machine experience seems a bit extreme ...but hey, if it's effective go for it. I just don't think the potential risk (wear/tear damage) is worth the reward. Pretty sure that the odor will return after the first or second use.

Now ...I can see stripping off the shoulder straps and hip belt and soaking out the salt from perspiration. Over time that salt residue will deteriorate the fabric and foam padding.

'Slogger

lilygrrrl1
10-08-2005, 09:32
thanks all!

i am hesitant to mess with the pack too much. it fits like a glove...and i'd hate to change a great thing! :)

i think i may put the whole pack in the tub...and just add 'elbow grease.'

again...thanks for your great ideas!
krinkles

p.s. -- footslogger... i'm sure you're right. the pack is just gonna get funky again.

chris
10-09-2005, 13:47
Inside the main pack compartment there should be a velcro or zipper than gets you access to the frame sheet. You can then pull out the frame sheet.

betic4lyf
10-09-2005, 13:51
is there any reason bleach wouldnt work?

Curt
10-09-2005, 19:13
Since you are talking about the ULA backpack I have a question related to another product sold by the man who makes the ULA backpack. I have an amigo
H2O filter and need to buy a cartridge for it. Brian is out of town until mid November so I can't ask him, where can I buy a cartridge for my amigo?

Thank you,

Curt

Footslogger
10-09-2005, 21:32
Since you are talking about the ULA backpack I have a question related to another product sold by the man who makes the ULA backpack. I have an amigo
H2O filter and need to buy a cartridge for it. Brian is out of town until mid November so I can't ask him, where can I buy a cartridge for my amigo?

Thank you,

Curt=================================
I have an extra that I'll sell you. Bought 2 with my original order and don't need the second one. Shoot me a PM or e-mail and we'll deal. You can have it for what I paid for it.

'Slogger

MarcnNJ
10-12-2005, 11:16
Do you like your Amigo??.....ive been thinking of getting one....the thing that has stopped me is having to get your hands wet in the colder months to fill the bag..........is it that bad?

Footslogger
10-12-2005, 11:38
Do you like your Amigo??.....ive been thinking of getting one....the thing that has stopped me is having to get your hands wet in the colder months to fill the bag..........is it that bad?==============================
Concept is good but I didn't like the bag arrangement much. I got a much lighter silnylon waterbag and fitted it with the Amigo valve. Works a lot better for me.

'Slogger