PDA

View Full Version : flying-Tips and tricks

redzombie
07-07-2014, 19:07
So, Maybe it is my overwhelming anxiety, but I am worried about flying, as I leave in 2 days.

All my gear is packed in a U-haul box to be stored in checked baggage, pack and all. The alcohol stove is empty and residue free, nothing prohibited I think? I have read cases of the TSA mistaking a water filter for a pipe bomb. A lot of expensive stuff, and lost luggage is a scary possibility.

From the TSA website, I can not find anything on esbit tablets. I did call and they tsa agent said they are fine in checked baggage as long as they are still in original container. But we all know, what the person says on the phone and what the person does when going through you luggage are two different things.

Sigh.....

rocketsocks
07-07-2014, 19:15
Take a Xanax, sounds like you got it all covered. Worst case, they pull the Esbit, and you use wood for a couple days. The very worst case is they pull you off the plane and you miss your flight...Naw, I wouldn't sweat it. :) have a great hike!

Odd Man Out
07-07-2014, 20:54
I'm flying out at 5 AM tomorrow. I have everything in one of those green canvas army issue duffel bags. I have a direct flight (no connections), leaving from a small airport, so I'm not so worried about luggage getting lost. It should be free on Southwest to check the bag unless they tell me it's oversized (minor worry). As far as I can tell, the only things that have to go in my pocket are my Bic lighter, one book of matches, wallet, boarding pass, other miscellaneous paperwork. It will be strange not having a carry-on bag. My duffel bag weighs 30 lbs, but that includes 6 days of food and some stuff that will stay in the bag which will be left with the shuttle driver.

colorado_rob
07-07-2014, 21:41
I've flown at least two dozen times carrying all my hiking/climbing/camping gear, never ever had any problem whatsoever. Got inspected a couple few times (the TSA thingie shows up in the luggage), never had anything confiscated, and I've carried a bunch of different stoves (spotlessly cleaned and broken down into pieces).

Rather than taking a Xanax, pour yourself a tall cold one!

juma
07-09-2014, 20:10
I'm flying out at 5 AM tomorrow. I have everything in one of those green canvas army issue duffel bags. I have a direct flight (no connections), leaving from a small airport, so I'm not so worried about luggage getting lost. It should be free on Southwest to check the bag unless they tell me it's oversized (minor worry). As far as I can tell, the only things that have to go in my pocket are my Bic lighter, one book of matches, wallet, boarding pass, other miscellaneous paperwork. It will be strange not having a carry-on bag. My duffel bag weighs 30 lbs, but that includes 6 days of food and some stuff that will stay in the bag which will be left with the shuttle driver.

I used my duffel for a trip on southwest - no problems.

Pony
07-10-2014, 22:27
Tip: They are serious when they say not to leave your bag unattended.

After finishing the trail I slept on a bench in the Portland airport to catch a plane home the next morning. I woke up around 6 and was one of the only people in the airport, and not thinking walked 5 feet to the restroom leaving my pack and sleeping bag spread out on the bench. When I came back about 2 minutes later two TSA agents were standing there and read me the riot act and threatened to take my pack. Needless to say they picked me apart pretty good going through security before boarding my flight, then had to wait quite a while when I got back home while they were looking through my pack again. Of course I looked pretty rough and had 5+ months worth of beard. Shortly after I got home I remembered that mohamed atta flew from Portland to Boston on 9/11.

Dogwood
07-10-2014, 22:38
I've flown at least two dozen times carrying all my hiking/climbing/camping gear, never ever had any problem whatsoever. Got inspected a couple few times (the TSA thingie shows up in the luggage), never had anything confiscated, and I've carried a bunch of different stoves (spotlessly cleaned and broken down into pieces).

Rather than taking a Xanax, pour yourself a tall cold one!

But then again, you are in Denver CO. :D

BobTheBuilder
07-10-2014, 22:47
The lighter in your pocket is probably the only thing that got taken away. Per the OP, you are already there, though. Have a good hike!