PDA

View Full Version : Hiker falls 200 feet down mountainside

Gramps
07-08-2014, 08:04
I caught the news crawler on GMA just now that an AT hiker somehow got off the trail and fell about 200 feet down a mountainside. Anyone else heard anything about this story? I can't seem to find anything on it.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2014, 08:15
A hiker is lucky to be alive after falling off of the Pinnacle in Albany ... 25, of Kansas City, Missouri, was hiking the Appalachian Trail when he fell ...

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-berks/Father-of-fallen-hiker-after-rescue-We-just-thank-God/26832458
ALBANY TWP., Pa. - A hiker is lucky to be alive after falling off of the Pinnacle in Albany Township late last week. James Gagliardi, 25, of Kansas City, Missouri, was hiking the Appalachian Trail when he fell about 40 feet onto a ledge and continued to roll another 200 feet down the mountain, officials said. "He doesn't even remember, doesn't even remember it happening. He just knew he was there at that spot, was going to camp there for the night and he just has no recollection," said the victim's father, Jamie Gagliardi, who traveled from Kansas City to be with his son, now recovering at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown.

Read more from WFMZ.com at: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-berks/Father-of-fallen-hiker-after-rescue-We-just-thank-God/26832458
Connect with us! Facebook/69WFMZ or @69News

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
07-08-2014, 08:48
My wife also just saw the crawler on GMA.I told her I would check the WB for more info , as usual thanks to you and others we can stay informed on friends and hikers on the trail.He is one lucky person,hope he has af ull recovery.

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2014, 09:41
Ooooo, that hurts. It is one thing to fall into the mountainside the trail is next to but quite another to fall off the downside. He is fortunate, very fortunate. I wonder how his rescue, if he needed one, went. Wow! This is everyone's nightmare.

Slo-go'en
07-08-2014, 09:50
He just knew he was there at that spot, was going to camp there for the night and he just has no recollection,"

And that is why you don't camp next to a cliff! It's a wonder anyone found/heard him.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2014, 10:09
ALBANY TWP., Pa. - A hiker is lucky to be alive after falling off of the Pinnacle in Albany Township late last week.
James Gagliardi, 25, of Kansas City, Missouri, was hiking the Appalachian Trail when he fell about 40 feet onto a ledge and continued to roll another 200 feet down the mountain, officials said.
"He doesn't even remember, doesn't even remember it happening. He just knew he was there at that spot, was going to camp there for the night and he just has no recollection," said the victim's father, Jamie Gagliardi, who traveled from Kansas City to be with his son, now recovering at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown.
He said the young hiker suffered a spinal fracture, rib fracture, laceration on his spleen and concussion. He was in the ICU for two days and is now stable.
"When I got the call and when we heard about it, I was pretty scared," said Gagliardi. "We're just glad he's safe and alive."
Gagliardi told 69 News that nearby hikers witnessed his son's fall around 8:30 p.m. on Friday, July 4, and called 911. In response, about 50 rescue workers were called to the scene, from departments across both Berks and Lehigh counties.
"This was serious," said Assistant Chief Matt Brett, Kempton Fire Company, who was the first to make contact with Gagliardi around 9:50 p.m., after traveling up the mountain in a specialized ATV.
"We drive approximately five miles up into the Pinnacle from where we park and then we walk about a half-mile with the equipment," said Brett. "We took thermal protection, we took extra lighting, carrying generators, probably 10 to 15 bags of rope equipment or extraction gear. It takes a lot of manpower."
"It's extremely important that we have people that come together for a common cause to help people. It takes a whole team, not just one person's effort," said Chief Ethan Kunkel, Kempton Fire Company.
In addition to the Kempton Fire Company, officials said the following fire companies also responded: Virginville, Hamburg (Fire and EMS), Topton, Lynnport, New Tripoli, and the Lehigh County Technical Rescue Team.
"The fact that he had people working there to get him out of there is just amazing. We just thank God," said Gagliardi.
Gagliardi said his son recently hit the 1,200-mile mark on the Appalachian Trail. He started hiking in Georgia in April and planned to complete the entire trail.

Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

bill1980
07-08-2014, 10:23
That's a terribly unfortunate ending to a thru-hike. The Pinnacle itself is a watershed area and, if I recall correctly, is off limits for camping, so in this case he would have been better off if a Ranger had found him camping and made him move on. That same five miles that the rescuers most likely drove up is a wide, slightly downhill walk, much more comfortable and nothing like the typical Rocksylvania trails, and ends right at the Eckville Shelter, a good place to stay, either in the shelter or the tent areas. Hope he gets well and tries again.

Ender
07-08-2014, 10:35
Very glad the hiker is alive and recovering.

he.who.forgets
07-08-2014, 16:01
This is terrible! I wonder if James' trail name was Moca Pot? I read on someone's (Affirm) trail journal that Moca Pot had taken a fall and suffered similar injuries. He did not elaborate on the fall itself, as I don't think he was there, but caught wind through the grapevine. Seems like they were near the same spot too. Wishing James and family well and hoping for a speedy recovery. I hope that he'll be able to get back on the trail eventually and finish his hike.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2014, 16:31
This is terrible! I wonder if James' trail name was Moca Pot?

Yes that is his trail name.

rocketsocks
07-08-2014, 19:05
That's a terribly unfortunate ending to a thru-hike. The Pinnacle itself is a watershed area and, if I recall correctly, is off limits for camping, so in this case he would have been better off if a Ranger had found him camping and made him move on. That same five miles that the rescuers most likely drove up is a wide, slightly downhill walk, much more comfortable and nothing like the typical Rocksylvania trails, and ends right at the Eckville Shelter, a good place to stay, either in the shelter or the tent areas. Hope he gets well and tries again.Not sure how the SAR team went in, but there is a road almost right to the Pinnacle that leads to the Observatory from the reservoir, then a short walk into the woods towards the Pinnacle, then they would have to repel down off the cliffs to reach a hiker below or take side trails off the AT that is at the bottom of the cliffs for access. Notable side trails off the AT are the blue and yellow trails that link the blue rocks Camp ground to the AT that then heads up to Dan's pulpit and the Pinnacle. Very rocky trail bed in this area, indicative of what is called "The PA Rocks"

Trailweaver
07-09-2014, 02:51
Well that's one heck of a trail journal entry!!! Hope he recovers well. Thank goodness for nearby hikers.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-09-2014, 07:03
Wow, that's horrible. To make it so far and have something like that happen. Heart-felt wishes for a fully recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-09-2014, 09:56
I've always found it interesting how the body protects itself by blocking memories...that's not one I'd care to remember either. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Rain Man
07-09-2014, 12:46
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

And yet, ... you just did?

magneto
07-09-2014, 12:57
Posted on a board Ina thread for discussion, commentary and education, it is probably covered under the Fair Use Doctrine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingedMonkey
07-09-2014, 15:21
And yet, ... you just did?

Actually it came hidden with the link but did not show on the "print" version.

lbbrown
07-09-2014, 17:03
Hats off to the Kempton FD and all other Rescue EMT'S and volunteers!!!!

Angle
07-09-2014, 22:07
Hats off to the Kempton FD and all other Rescue EMT'S and volunteers!!!!

Don't know if this is true but I just read Sherpa Mom's post on Trail Journals that she heard that he was free-style rock climbing when he fell. Whatever the reason was for the fall I'm glad he will recover and thanks to the volunteers for their efforts.

Iceman

Slo-go'en
07-09-2014, 22:20
Don't know if this is true but I just read Sherpa Mom's post on Trail Journals that she heard that he was free-style rock climbing when he fell. Whatever the reason was for the fall I'm glad he will recover and thanks to the volunteers for their efforts.

Iceman

That sounds likely. Makes more sense then fell off just camping.

Rain Man
07-09-2014, 23:32
Posted on a board Ina thread for discussion, commentary and education, it is probably covered under the Fair Use Doctrine.

Tell that to the Mods when they get the Cease and Desist letter for allowing it to be posted and remain on WB, threatening to shut down the site for theft of copyrighted product. But, if you're an intellectual law attorney, I'll take your legal opinion on the legality, so long as you stand behind it.

Rain Man

marti038
07-10-2014, 08:37
Tell that to the Mods when they get the Cease and Desist letter for allowing it to be posted and remain on WB, threatening to shut down the site for theft of copyrighted product. But, if you're an intellectual law attorney, I'll take your legal opinion on the legality, so long as you stand behind it.

Rain Man

Nice job hijacking the thread.

And nice job to the SAR team for saving this guy's life. He's very fortunate to be alive.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 11:52
Nice job hijacking the thread.

And nice job to the SAR team for saving this guy's life. He's very fortunate to be alive.
That ain't hijackin' just a side conversation

....this is high jackin'

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105061-What-s-a-half-tent&p=1892519#post1892519