PDA

View Full Version : hiking shoes/boots for a young boyscout

misterfloyd
07-08-2014, 11:43
Hello to all,

I have a 10 year old son that has recently bridged over to Boyscouts. Given his age I don't want to spend 100 dollars every 6 months. Can anyone point me in the direction of brands or stores that may have shoes that may be good for young feet, and also god for my wallet :)

any information is greatly appreciated and very welcome.

I was a boyscout as well, so it may be time to pay the piper!!!

Best,

Floyd

Nodust
07-08-2014, 11:55
My 10 yo son has worn these for the last year. Hiking, camping, school. They have held up really good and gives him good traction for hiking. (http://shop.reebok.com/us/product/boys-atv19-sonic-rush---youth-shoes/NT317?cid=M41363&breadcrumb=1z13070Z1z11zrfZdy&search=trail&cm_vc=STATIC_SHOP_SEARCH)

HooKooDooKu
07-08-2014, 14:17
Sales-Sales-Sales... and buying too big so that he grows into it.

Boots/Shoes is one of those clothing categories that you can regularly find 30%-50% sales (exceptions being a particular model that stays in high demand).

So any time you're near an outdoor gear shop in the mall, drop in just to see what shoes they have on sale and keep a regular eye out in the clearance departments for online retailers like REI, Campmor, etc... with an eye towards not what size he needs NOW but the next size up he WILL need. Then it doesn't mater if he takes 6 months or a year+ before needing the next larger size... when the time comes, you already have the shoe (then start the cycle again looking for the next size up).

Feral Bill
07-08-2014, 14:34
The troop leaders should have a good idea of what the scouts need and where to get good deals. If not, find another troop.

slbirdnerd
07-08-2014, 14:40
I have the same problem, my Scout is almost 12 and his feet are getting crazy big. I want him to have good hiking/Scout footwear, but don't want to spend a ton every few months.

Depending on your Troop's focus, he may not need anything really serious. Mine could almost get by with sneakers, and that's what is really best for them at Scout camp anyway. Last year I bought him a pair of serious waterproof Merrell hiking boots and a non-waterproof pair of Merrell hiking shoes. Unless they are doing a lot of winter hiking/backpacking, I'd go with one pair and get him the hiking shoes, or at least non-waterproof hiking boots he can wear and not have his feet sweat to death in. We've tried some cheap-o stuff but they hurt his feet and/or fall apart--not worth it.

Does the troop have a hand me down program or bin? If not, start one! This is a common problem with growing Scouts and it'd be great to share gently used stuff with other Scout families.

Congrats to you boy for crossing over! He will LOVE Boy Scouts, it's so much more fun than Cubs! With any luck we'll see you at Jambo in a few years! ;)

Don H
07-08-2014, 14:44
I've been a Scoutmaster for 8 years now and what I recommend is decent quality trail runners. No Gortex or waterproofing and a stiff sole.

I do a demonstration for parents and their new scouts on camping gear. When I cover shoes I start by asking one of the scouts to take off his shoe and fold and twist it. They almost always fold up like a wallet. Then I take my shoe off my shoe (Brooks Adrenalin Trail runners) and show how it has some stiffness to it. That's what they need for backpacking around here.

As a bonus they can wear the trail runners to school.

rocketsocks
07-08-2014, 15:26
That's a tough age group, they grow like weeds. We were fortuate to have a bunch of hand me downs from some friends with older kids than mine...good luck, maybe shop the good will stores for a couple years till they stop growin.

Alligator
07-08-2014, 22:07
Keep the pack weight low and stick with trail runners. I keep an eye out for anything on clearance at the online gear shops. Buy sizes ahead of time. Cycle the trail runners in as everyday sneakers. Depending on trip frequency, he may outgrow them before out wearing them. Just watch for good quality clearance items before he grows into that size for all clothing needs really.

shelb
07-08-2014, 23:14
My husband and I have been involved in scouts for over 15 years, and our three sons all reached Eagle!

For the growing boy, I strongly recommend good trail runners or hiking tennis shoes - especially at first. While one of my boys really prefers hiking boots, the other boy refused to hike in anything but his Keen sandles. One trip, he actually carried the hiking boots we bought him for 105 miles - wearing the keens instead! However, in his Keens, he completed over 200 miles of the AT (Virginia and MD) and 100 miles of the North Country Trail in Michigan.

You are correct about the short time your son would wear the shoes - go with something more versatile until his growth slows down (about 10th grade). I would also caution you about going with used footwear. While most used gear is excellent (especially used scout uniforms!!!), footwear has been broken in to the original owner's foot. We have had many scouts try to use someone else's boots - with disasterous results!

Don't forget to have good socks (even my boy wore smart wool with his keens).

misterfloyd
07-09-2014, 08:48
Thank you all for your ideas and helpful hints. Thank you also for supporting or helping with scouting.

I was thinking trail runners as well for his age. Oddly enough I do not think there is a clothing bank for his troop, they are well run and been established for sometime.

I will need to keep an eye out for sales at all the usual places as well as steep and cheap.

Thanks again
Floyd

rocketsocks
07-09-2014, 09:17
I would also caution you about going with used footwear. While most used gear is excellent (especially used scout uniforms!!!), footwear has been broken in to the original owner's foot. We have had many scouts try to use someone else's boots - with disasterous results!

I gotta agree with this, unless they are gently used, they are well beyond and broken in for someone else's foot. I should also add that I bought my son a pair of Merrill's a couple years ago...he prefers to live in his Van's...go figure, but shoes are a very personal thing to the wearer.

perdidochas
07-09-2014, 11:10
Hello to all,

I have a 10 year old son that has recently bridged over to Boyscouts. Given his age I don't want to spend 100 dollars every 6 months. Can anyone point me in the direction of brands or stores that may have shoes that may be good for young feet, and also god for my wallet :)

any information is greatly appreciated and very welcome.

I was a boyscout as well, so it may be time to pay the piper!!!

Best,

Floyd

Buy over-sized boots by about a size or size and a half. They can wear extra socks when they are smaller. My boys did their first two or so years in the same boots due to that.

shelb
07-09-2014, 20:10
Buy over-sized boots by about a size or size and a half. They can wear extra socks when they are smaller. My boys did their first two or so years in the same boots due to that.

We did that with my son who likes boots. We bought the boots a size and half larger, plus added an insole insert. The boots lasted 2 summers.

just dad
07-09-2014, 20:30
As a father of children who have backed extensively and as a Boy Scout leader, I'd suggest having most scouts wear running shoes that they will wear everyday. (They should be breathable-- without goretex.) Most Boy Scouts will not hike enough miles to require more shoe than a running shoe. The cost can be prohibitive to buy trail runners or dedicated hiking shoes since most Boy Scouts will outgrow those shoes very quickly. If the Scout is going to Philmont or another high adventure outing I'd invest in a good pair of trail runners. But for an 11 year old who just bridged over to Scouts, they should not need expensive, dedicated hiking shoes. If the Troop is just doing "car camping" any old pair of sneakers will be sufficient.