PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an odd flip-flop

Speakeasy TN
07-08-2014, 18:21
In '11 I was out on a thru attempt when my Grandmother passed away. I was only about 275 miles in. Forward to 2015, I am considering starting the thru at that point, covering all new terrain in the Spring and then returning there in the fall, after Katahdin. That will let me cover the first 275 in the Fall and "walk home" since I live in Chattanooga.

Definitely odd but like every version of the hike, it has merits. Any thoughts?

Starchild
07-08-2014, 19:13
While I can understand it I would not do that (personally, HYOH and all), instead to complete the thru hike I would once again start at Springer. I would like to go with the philosophy 'begin as you mean to go on' In other words if I am there to thru hike, do it as a thru hike, as opposed to doing it as a complete the AT as a section hiker and then pick up the thru hike.

What it sounds like you are doing is hedging your bet, if you don't make the thru hike you will be further along, or completed, as a section hiker.

I also don't like the distance needed after the needed break to relocate after Katahdin, and too much 'excuse' not to get back to the trail, or just make it a chore for those last miles.

Razor
07-08-2014, 20:09
you are not accomplishing anything by skipping the 275 unless your calender is short and you have a tight window !

Slo-go'en
07-08-2014, 20:26
275 miles in isn't very far. I'd reset the trip meter and start at the beginning again.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2014, 20:39
In '11 I was out on a thru attempt when my Grandmother passed away. I was only about 275 miles in. Forward to 2015, I am considering starting the thru at that point, covering all new terrain in the Spring and then returning there in the fall, after Katahdin. That will let me cover the first 275 in the Fall and "walk home" since I live in Chattanooga.

Definitely odd but like every version of the hike, it has merits. Any thoughts?
great idea. do it. heck with the naysayers

Patrickjd9
07-09-2014, 09:10
It's your hike. If it's important to you to pick up where you left off, you think your hike could be interrupted a second time, or you'd just like to be done earlier in the fall for job or school, they are all perfectly good reasons.

As someone planning to finish a section hike with an odd long stretch (Maine to New Jersey), I sure can't criticize anyone else's plan.

dmax
07-09-2014, 10:50
I would either do a sobo or start where you left off.

Deco
07-09-2014, 10:55
I think your idea sounds good and makes sense. The only thing I would suggest and you have probably already considered it, would be to start at Katahdin and head south. That would put you down south in the fall. Granted probably a bit furthur (misspelled on purpose) than you may want to be. Bottom line do your own thing.

BuckeyeBill
07-10-2014, 00:41
Hike your own hike. Only you will know what is right in your heart. You still have time to decide on a nobo or sobo hike. Personally I would restart at Springer and go north, but that is just me.

SawnieRobertson
07-10-2014, 20:32

Good for you, LW! Nothing "odd" about it. In fact, it is a bit of genius if it is what will suit you best. Hike on, Lamarr.

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-10-2014, 22:12

Not seeing any naysaying.......actually some helpful input to someone who is trying to make a decision. Here is another thought.....not advice, just an observation......

A hiker I met on the trail started in Damascus & planned to hike NOBO to Katahdin & then come back & do Damascus to Springer. He was a great guy & we had a terrific time on trail. We summitted Katahdin & I was done. He had hiked 1700 odd miles & felt like he was done too, & he didn't want to go back to Damascus. He did say that he wished he had started at Springer.

ultimately it is your hike, do whatever you think is the best for you !!!! :)

Speakeasy TN
07-12-2014, 09:35
Thanks for all the replies! I think the spread of opinions reflects exactly what's going on in my head. I'd like to think another start at Springer would let me help out somebody that was shaky at the beginning. It's absolutely true that I could retrace the '11 hike in short order if I can skip the weekend visits from the wife!! BONUS from living so close to the trail! Rolling back to NOC and Fontana would be great but GSMNP was a trudge! Pros, cons, pros, cons........

Any and all input appreciated!

shelterbuilder
07-13-2014, 08:03
I'll be showing my age by telling this story, but here goes: Back in 1972, a sports writer for the local Sunday newspaper had decided to hike the entire trail, AND TO SEND WEEKLY "REPORTS" BACK TO THE PAPER FOR PUBLICATION IN HIS COLUMN! He made good progress, but on June 23, Hurricane Agnes hit and sent his house - along with much of the Wyoming Valley near Wilkes-Barre, Pa. - underwater. He got off the trail, went home, cleaned up and put his life back together again...and the following year, he was back on the trail, again starting from Georgia (and again, sending home weekly reports for the column). Along the way, he met someone from ATC who suggested that it would be fitting to finish the thru, then turn around and hike the miles that he had missed during the previous year. And that's what he did. I believe that this fellow (Ed Kuni) may have been the first hiker who was recognized as having completed the hike twice in 2 consecutive years. Long story short: HYOH. Enjoy the trip, no matter where it starts and ends.

Speakeasy TN
07-13-2014, 09:42
Oh there's no doubt that I will enjoy it either way! I'm so so ready to be back out there!