PDA

View Full Version : Are woodburning stoves any more popular

English Stu
07-09-2014, 08:10
Are they seen on the AT more? Or is the set up just too much faff or heavy. I like a fire and if you are strict only carrying a few ounces of fuel for the use with felt, and a light plastic pot for freezer bag type cooking then it is an option. I use the BackcountryBoiler which overcomes the sooty pot issues, I have also used the Bushcooker/buddy. I would welcome any comments,you can fly with them.

Ender
07-09-2014, 08:30
I've definitely seen them fairly recently, in the past year or two, though with weekend hikers not specifically thru hikers. Still, you'll still see them out there. Heck, I'm in the process of building myself one currently (though by "in the process", I mean the process is stalled... for no real reason other than I haven't got around to finishing it yet).

Starchild
07-09-2014, 08:34
Splash used it for her LD section hike with a cat can backup stove. She enjoyed the process of making fire in her firefly stove but it was sometimes difficult or impossible to use under some conditions and we used my stove normally during those times (canister or Esbit depending on the section as I switched along my thru) or her backup.

rocketsocks
07-09-2014, 09:52
I've seen several folks carry them, certainly a weight saver as your not carrying fuel, I'd likely supplement with a couple a Esbit tabs.

Nikon Shooter
07-09-2014, 10:38
I saw one yesterday that had a little generator on the side with a USB plug that you could use to charge your cell phone while cooking. Kind of cool, but too heave for thru hiking.

Slo-go'en
07-09-2014, 11:41
It is more common to see someone cooking on a camp fire then using a wood stove. And not a lot of people cook on a camp fire. Canister stoves have become the #1 choice, with alcohol #2 and loosing ground. Seeing a white gas stove these days is about as rare as seeing a wood stove.

QiWiz
07-11-2014, 06:26
Splash used it for her LD section hike with a cat can backup stove. She enjoyed the process of making fire in her firefly stove but it was sometimes difficult or impossible to use under some conditions and we used my stove normally during those times (canister or Esbit depending on the section as I switched along my thru) or her backup.

Wood stoves are not for everyone, but can definitely be used on the AT for long section hikes or thru hikes. I would recommend that most people carry a 1-2 oz backup system (2-4 Esbit tabs or the equivalent in alcohol) for situations where the fire-starting conditions are just dreadful, unless you really like using your fire skills. Esbit or alcohol can be used of course as the sole fuel in these situations, but can also be used in smaller quantities to get damp wood started with minimal or no wood prep. The longer you are out on trail without resupply, the more weight savings you have with a wood stove. And a small cheery fire warms your soul as well as your food IMO.