PDA

View Full Version : What's a half tent?

wnderer
07-09-2014, 15:08
I was reading a description of the gear carried by US soldiers in the Spanish-American War. The article talks about something called a half tent. What is a half-tent? Is this like a lean to?

https://ia600502.us.archive.org/20/items/scientificameric18265gut/18265-h/18265-h.htm#art17

In the way of clothing the American private carries a complete change of under-drawers, under-shirt, socks, laced boots and uniform trousers. My particular private was carrying a double allowance of socks, handkerchiefs, and underwear. He had a toothbrush and comb. That is the heavy marching order knapsack. For light marching, which is the usual manner, the man begins by spreading on the ground his half-tent, which is about the size of a traveling rug. On this he spreads his blanket, rolls it up tightly into a long narrow sausage, having first distributed along its length a pair of socks, a change of underwear, and the two sticks of his one tent pole. Then he brings the ends of this canvas roll together, not closely, as in the German army, but more like the ends of a horse-shoe, held by a rope which at the same time stops the ends of the roll tightly. When this horse shoe is slung over the man's shoulder, it does not press uncomfortably upon his chest. The total weight is distributed in the most convenient manner for marching.

Venchka
07-09-2014, 15:14
I wasn't around for that expedition, but in the late 60s a shelter half was still standard issue in the US Army infantry training. An A-frame tent split lengthwise along the ridgeline. Two wooden poles for support-I recall they were in 2 or 3 sections. Made of heavy waterproofed canvas. No floor. No netting. Kinda like the UL stripped down stuff folks spend a bunch of money on today.
Google knows more. With photos even.

Wayne

Mobius
07-09-2014, 15:14
I believe it's literally half a tent. You find a buddy with another half-tent and make a tent. I assume it can be used by itself as well but it may depend on the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter-half

Venchka
07-09-2014, 15:15
ps: The two halves were joined by large buttons.

Wayne

ChefATLTCT
07-09-2014, 15:25
In the 1980s we were still using shelter half.You carried one half and your buddy carried the other, no floor and two poles. When it rained we still dug the trench around the tent to divert water. You could extend your tent lengthwise with some ponchos, we regularly squeezed 4 guys in for a smoke session

wnderer
07-09-2014, 15:25
I guess I should have googled it. Thanks.

RangerZ
07-09-2014, 15:31
... better than none, but that's a different thread.

Rocket Jones
07-09-2014, 16:31
We carried them in Boy Scouts. I often set a half up for myself if there was no chance of rain.

Starchild
07-09-2014, 16:31
What happens to the odd guy?

Leanthree
07-09-2014, 16:49
What happens to the odd guy?

Watches for bad guys.

Venchka
07-09-2014, 18:49
I guess I should have googled it. Thanks.

No way. Better to have carried and lived in them. After that, any backpacking gear is lightweight.

Wayne

Likeapuma
07-09-2014, 18:56
Spanish American War? Lol they were still issuing those to soldiers in Hawaii, less than a decade ago!

Damn Yankee
07-09-2014, 19:23
picture a heavy oil soaked canvas rectangle with triangles at each end with heavy snaps along the ridgeline and extending down the triangle where the opening will be. You snap the two halves together along the ridgeline and place two poles on either end. On the top of the pole is a blunt spike which goes into a grommet, put rope and stake it then stake the sides. It is a very heavy tent so each soldiers carries a shelter half rolled up with the sleep pad, two poles and five stakes. Water never got through even in the hardest rain but you did need to dig a trench around the tent and a trench leading away at the lowest corner. We pitched these in 2-3 feet of snow, digging out the snow were the tent was going to go, pitching the tent and back filling along the edges to inhibit drafts. You used you poncho for a ground sheet and candles or sterno for heat with ventilation at the doors. Great set up. I still have mine from the late 80's and will pitch it in my yard for my granddaughter. It has plenty of length and headroom. You can still buy unissued full setups for less than $40 at a Army surplus store.

rocketsocks
07-09-2014, 19:43
http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg32.htm

Tuckahoe
07-09-2014, 20:10
Here is a picture of two "pup" tents. Each soldier carried one half of the tent, one rope, one tent pole and 5 tent pegs. You can see how the halves are buttened together at the ridge line.

And a reproduction tent set up

July
07-09-2014, 21:45
Here is a picture of two "pup" tents. Each soldier carried one half of the tent, one rope, one tent pole and 5 tent pegs. You can see how the halves are buttened together at the ridge line.

And a reproduction tent set up

Takes a Team.

wnderer
07-09-2014, 22:05
Do they still make a horseshoe backpack out of it? I thought using the tent as a backpack was an interesting idea.

bobgessner57
07-09-2014, 22:30
My dad told me that during the winter of 1944-45 in France and Germany it was common practice to make small sod stoves at the open end of the shelter halves. It was "forbidden" to do so after a few tents in the processing depots burned up but the weather up towards the front was so cold nobody enforced the rule. The mini fireplaces gave some heat to the tent and provided a convenient place to thaw and heat rations.

There is nothing like the smell of a canvas tent. I spent many a night in the 60's and early 70's in my great uncle's ww one halves. His name, outfit , etc was written on one corner of the tent. Not many of today's tents will still be in use after 50 years. I still have the tent but it is dry rotting. His canvas pack is still in useable condition.

Tuckahoe
07-09-2014, 23:27
Do they still make a horseshoe backpack out of it? I thought using the tent as a backpack was an interesting idea.

I just put this together real quick, concerning the M1910 shelter half, how to roll a pack and assemble a M1910 haversack.

A small bit pulled from a manual -- http://hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/infantry_pack.htm.

Tent half spread out with pegs and pole.

Tent folded into thirds, including rope, pegs and pole, blanket, extra clothing

Pack being rolled up with the end of the tent folded over to create an envelope to roll the pack.

Pack completely rolled up

M1910 haversack

Haversack opened up with bacon tin, toiletries and extra socks.

Pack (rolled tent, blanket, & etc.) placed into the haversack.

Haversack now buckled

Outer flap closed. Also attached to the haversack is an entrenching tool, and the outer pocket is the meatcan (mess kit) pouch.
27688 27689

The haversack is now assembled with the ammunition belt and carried.
27690 27691

297. The American soldier's pack is the result of an exhaustive study of the subject made by a board of officers of the Army. It was adopted by the Government in 1910. It is essentially an American institution, original in design and construction. It is based upon American Ideas of how the American Indian squaw carries her papoose and how the American woodsman carries his load.It is the lightest as well as the most scientifically constructed Infantry pack in the world.

280. Desirable Features.
1. The center of gravity of the load you carry is brought as closely as possible to the vertical through your own center of gravity.

2. The load is hung upon the framework (skeleton), so as to economize muscular effort to hold it in place or maintain equilibrium.

3. A reduction to a minimum of pressure upon or constriction of any of the soft body parts, large blood vessels or nerves.

4. It eliminates all obstacles to the full expansion of your chest, thus giving free play to your lungs and heart.

5. The load is arranged so that there will be no interference with the free use of your arms and legs.

281. The degree of comfort with which you will carry the pack depends entirely upon the manner in which you prepare it and adjust it to your body. There is a right way and a wrong way. Get your's right. It will pay large dividends in comfort and efficiency.

While a bit of study went into the development of the M1910 haversack, it really turned out to be a pretty poor pack system. For one, the pack had to be taken all the way apart to get anything out. In turnthere was also no way of attaching any of the extra blankets, extra pair of boots, rain coat, overcoat or extra gear to the outside of the pack.

July
07-10-2014, 01:28
Relax Tuc.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 02:10
Relax Tuc.
Gotta dig the enthuseasum.

July
07-10-2014, 02:13
Gotta dig the enthuseasum.
We gonna trac u ...

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 02:15
We gonna trac u ...
Oh then you'll love this

...what's that road flare lookin thing in the picture?

July
07-10-2014, 02:18
Oh then you'll love this

...what's that road flare lookin thing in the picture?

Have you Hik.. the Trail? I have Bitchsocs on watch

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 02:26
Have you Hik.. the Trail? I have Bitchsocs on watch
Ha, made you look, so endeth the trick:D

July
07-10-2014, 02:28
Ha, made you look, so endeth the trick:D

See Lone Wolf.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 02:30
Now that's funny.
...my moms callin' I gotta go.

July
07-10-2014, 02:35
See Lone Wolf.

I have Faith.

July
07-10-2014, 02:42
I have Faith.

Rocketmouth... I can't wait to meet you. Makes me Smile. All I ask is shut your mouth and let Mother Nature Take Easy... Your fool will be over quick.

wnderer
07-10-2014, 09:52
I just put this together real quick, concerning the M1910 shelter half, how to roll a pack and assemble a M1910 haversack.

While a bit of study went into the development of the M1910 haversack, it really turned out to be a pretty poor pack system. For one, the pack had to be taken all the way apart to get anything out. In turn there was also no way of attaching any of the extra blankets, extra pair of boots, rain coat, overcoat or extra gear to the outside of the pack.

The other flaw I see of using the tent as the backpack is that everything gets wet when you unpack it in the rain. I keep my tarp in a side pocket of my pack so I can set it up first and unpack my backpack underneath it.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 10:15
Rocketmouth... I can't wait to meet you. Makes me Smile. All I ask is shut your mouth and let Mother Nature Take Easy... Your fool will be over quick.
Man your like Christmas in July, many a good things go round in the dark besides Santa Claus...wink as good as a nod to a blind man.

...clean up isle 6

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 10:18
The other flaw I see of using the tent as the backpack is that everything gets wet when you unpack it in the rain. I keep my tarp in a side pocket of my pack so I can set it up first and unpack my backpack underneath it.I have a friend who is a civil war re-enactor, and is very well read. I'm gonna ask him what they did back then in this regard, though I expect his answer will likely be...they got wet.

...wooden ships and iron men.

T.S.Kobzol
07-10-2014, 12:17
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2929/14597941246_cc6dac9f31_b.jpg

I used to wear this until about the age of 16. It was a great set up back then (30 years ago) but there are far better ways now. It makes me feel nostalgic but in general the infatuation with military gear makes no sense to me.

A small bit pulled from a manual -- http://hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/infantry_pack.htm.

Tent half spread out with pegs and pole.

Tent folded into thirds, including rope, pegs and pole, blanket, extra clothing

Pack being rolled up with the end of the tent folded over to create an envelope to roll the pack.

Pack completely rolled up

M1910 haversack

Haversack opened up with bacon tin, toiletries and extra socks.

Pack (rolled tent, blanket, & etc.) placed into the haversack.

Haversack now buckled

Outer flap closed. Also attached to the haversack is an entrenching tool, and the outer pocket is the meatcan (mess kit) pouch.
27688 27689

The haversack is now assembled with the ammunition belt and carried.
27690 27691

While a bit of study went into the development of the M1910 haversack, it really turned out to be a pretty poor pack system. For one, the pack had to be taken all the way apart to get anything out. In turnthere was also no way of attaching any of the extra blankets, extra pair of boots, rain coat, overcoat or extra gear to the outside of the pack.

gbolt
07-10-2014, 19:31
I was a civil war re-enactor (prefer the term living historian) back in the late 70's early 80's; and as explained earlier, the Half Tent was just 1/2 of the canvas necessary to make a full A Frame tent open on both ends. It was square and had loops for wooden tent pegs on one side. The opposite side had pewter buttons for attaching as well as button holes for the other half tent (No seam sealing lol). The front and back had button holes incase a third partner wanted to close off the tent in bad weather on one end and then all three would cram into the middle. Only the eastern army used actual "backpacks" and even that was rare. Most of the tents where carried as ordinance by Horse drawn wagons behind the marching troops. The soldiers would carry personal items in a "Bed Roll" that was then rolled into a Tar covered Poncho with a rope sling over the shoulder. Often the soldiers would just "cowboy camp" (of course this term came later) on top of the poncho under the wool blanket. One Poncho would often be used to close in the ends of the tent to block weather instead of a third partner. The other poncho was also used as the original bathtub floor, often soften by hay underneath. Probably more info than anyone needed, but I need to get my post count up...lol. Actually, civil war soldiers were the best hikers/backpackers/bad a**'s. I feel spoiled with today's backpacking gear, compared to what I suffered with during living history demonstrations; especially one year when we re-enacted Bull Run in over 100 degree freak summer temp in Alexandria Virginia. Oh the memories, especially in Chickamauga, Georgia where a teacher joked that she was still teaching the South won the war... maybe she wasn't joking.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 21:16
I was a civil war re-enactor (prefer the term living historian) back in the late 70's early 80's; and as explained earlier, the Half Tent was just 1/2 of the canvas necessary to make a full A Frame tent open on both ends. It was square and had loops for wooden tent pegs on one side. The opposite side had pewter buttons for attaching as well as button holes for the other half tent (No seam sealing lol). The front and back had button holes incase a third partner wanted to close off the tent in bad weather on one end and then all three would cram into the middle. Only the eastern army used actual "backpacks" and even that was rare. Most of the tents where carried as ordinance by Horse drawn wagons behind the marching troops. The soldiers would carry personal items in a "Bed Roll" that was then rolled into a Tar covered Poncho with a rope sling over the shoulder. Often the soldiers would just "cowboy camp" (of course this term came later) on top of the poncho under the wool blanket. One Poncho would often be used to close in the ends of the tent to block weather instead of a third partner. The other poncho was also used as the original bathtub floor, often soften by hay underneath. Probably more info than anyone needed, but I need to get my post count up...lol. Actually, civil war soldiers were the best hikers/backpackers/bad a**'s. I feel spoiled with today's backpacking gear, compared to what I suffered with during living history demonstrations; especially one year when we re-enacted Bull Run in over 100 degree freak summer temp in Alexandria Virginia. Oh the memories, especially in Chickamauga, Georgia where a teacher joked that she was still teaching the South won the war... maybe she wasn't joking.
I have discussed at length these very topics with my friend, we've had some very good discussion, and he was as interested as to the way the modern back packers travel along as I was to hear how it was done in the old days...good stuffs! :)

Couple of notable books for those interested.

"Killer Angels" I've listen to on audio books

http://www.amazon.com/The-Civil-War-Trilogy-Generals/dp/0345433726

I gave him for Christmas Civil War in Color...which by all accounts we both liked

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Color-Photographic-Reenactment/dp/1402790813/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405041248&sr=1-1&keywords=civil+war+in+color

He got me this...great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Celebrating-Americas-Hiking/dp/0847839036/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405041322&sr=1-3&keywords=appalachian+trail

we keep trying to plan a hike together, he in his garb, and me in mine. :)

Venchka
07-10-2014, 21:44
Read "Undaunted Courage". One lesson I learned: You can starve to death in a sea of elk.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 22:02
Read "Undaunted Courage". One lesson I learned: You can starve to death in a sea of elk.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
Ah yes...reminds me of the mariners prayer.

water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

Toolshed
07-11-2014, 07:14
LOL as I read this. I was in the Army in the late 70's and we were still issued shelter halves (and trenching tools) then.... Although I cannot remember if they came togehter with buttons or snaps. it was part of our personnel gear (They always called it personnel rather than personal) along with our ammo belts, cartridge cases, canteen steel pots w/helmet liners rubberized ponchoes and first aid kits.
They would only leak if you were foolish enough to reach up and touch them in teh rain and hold your finger there long enough to allow water tension to seep through and creat a wet spot.
And yes. I agree - Nylon tents are a pleasure in comparison!!!!

lemon b
07-11-2014, 08:36
Was issued one in the US Army early 70's. Two made a little floor less pup tent. Learned the hard way that not good for backpacking too much weight.