PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with newer Mountainsmith packs?

balto68
07-12-2014, 11:33
New to this forum.... I've already found a lot of great info by searching, and I hope you won't mind me asking a question here.

I'm specifically looking at the Lookout 50 pack and the older Eclipse 55, which can be found online still for dirt cheap. Both expand to about 60L, and 50 to 60 liters is my ideal capacity for a backpack.

I have concerns about both packs. I've been able to try them on in person, and I liked both. The newer model, the Lookout, has a unique hipbelt that raises a little higher than the so-called Lumbar Control Point pad. What ends up happening is that if you have the hipbelt on at your iliac crest, the lumbar pad is lower than usual. Almost on your butt. It's not uncomfortable, but I'm wondering if it's designed to be this way or if it's a fit issue. Does anyone have any of the newer Mountainsmith packs (2013 or later I think) with the new hipbelt/lumbar pad setup?

My other concern is in regards to the Eclipse. It's an older pack, but in terms of design I actually like it better than the Lookout. It's simpler. It has two ice axe loops instead of one. It has much better side bottle pockets. However, at least one person has said that the shoulder straps flattened quite a bit on their Appalachian Trail thru-hike. It got so bad he had to ask Mountainsmith to send him new ones.

Is shoulder strap flattening something that's going to be an issue on any pack? It hasn't happened to me, but then again I haven't thru-hiked the Appalachian trail. Could it be a one-time problem just for one particular user? Or do I need to be concerned about it?

Finally, if you have a Mountainsmith pack, what were your general impressions? How do they carry heavy loads, particularly the newer models? How do they feel over long distances?

Thanks!

Shutterbug
07-12-2014, 12:27
New to this forum.... I've already found a lot of great info by searching, and I hope you won't mind me asking a question here.

I'm specifically looking at the Lookout 50 pack and the older Eclipse 55, which can be found online still for dirt cheap. Both expand to about 60L, and 50 to 60 liters is my ideal capacity for a backpack.

I have concerns about both packs. I've been able to try them on in person, and I liked both. The newer model, the Lookout, has a unique hipbelt that raises a little higher than the so-called Lumbar Control Point pad. What ends up happening is that if you have the hipbelt on at your iliac crest, the lumbar pad is lower than usual. Almost on your butt. It's not uncomfortable, but I'm wondering if it's designed to be this way or if it's a fit issue. Does anyone have any of the newer Mountainsmith packs (2013 or later I think) with the new hipbelt/lumbar pad setup?

My other concern is in regards to the Eclipse. It's an older pack, but in terms of design I actually like it better than the Lookout. It's simpler. It has two ice axe loops instead of one. It has much better side bottle pockets. However, at least one person has said that the shoulder straps flattened quite a bit on their Appalachian Trail thru-hike. It got so bad he had to ask Mountainsmith to send him new ones.

Is shoulder strap flattening something that's going to be an issue on any pack? It hasn't happened to me, but then again I haven't thru-hiked the Appalachian trail. Could it be a one-time problem just for one particular user? Or do I need to be concerned about it?

Finally, if you have a Mountainsmith pack, what were your general impressions? How do they carry heavy loads, particularly the newer models? How do they feel over long distances?

Thanks!

I have a Mountainsmith pack that I bought several years ago. If I remember correctly it is the "Titan" model. I don't think that model is still available.

I only use it when I need to carry 30 lbs or more. Most of the time, I use a Golite pack.

The Mountainsmith has served me well. It is comfortable and durable. It was remarkably inexpensive. If I remember correctly, I paid about $80 for the pack and a good pair of hiking poles. It is on the heavy side -- it weighs about a lb. more than a Golite pack with a similar capacity.

Bottom line -- for the price I paid, I have no complaints. For a thru-hike, I would spend more to reduce the weight.

Venchka
07-12-2014, 12:37
Lookout Lumbar Pad-Hip Belt location: Educated guess based on many other packs: The hip belt is adjustable vertically, probably Velcroed to the lumbar pad. If so, you can move the hip belt relative to the lumbar pad to get it where it should be. If I am wrong, run away from the Lookout.
Shoulder pads: Not sure what you mean by flattening. The shoulder pads on my packs bear little or no weight. Maybe the person using it din't know how to wear the pack correctly.
I own the Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack. Hardly a fair comparison to a real backpack. It is well made. I reckon that if I went whole hog SUL I could use it on the AT.
Good luck.

Wayne