PDA

View Full Version : pajamas

squeezebox
07-13-2014, 07:46
So what do you wear for sleeping ? Particularly during the summer.
I bought a sleeping bag liner, mostly to keep the sleeping bag clean. 7 oz.
Also a pair of silk longies, top & bottom also 7 oz.
At home during fall, winter, spring, I wear longies and keep the thermostat at 67 or less, quilt etc.
during summer thermostat at 77 or so cotton socks and T shirt , cotton sheets
I can not sleep with out being covered by at least by a sheet.
On the trail I plan on using a pad with a stretch sheet and a a summer weight sewn through sleeping bag, used mostly unzipped
What are common overnight temps?
I also plan on bringing a folding bucket, 3 oz., to have a wash most evenings, I do not sleep as well if I feel grungy.
I'm thinking the 75 degree nights are too much for a summer bag.
Do I keep the sleeping bag liner? Or what ??

Hikes in Rain
07-13-2014, 08:11
I bring a t_shirt and a pair of socks dedicated to sleeping. Gives the hiking ones a chance to air, or dry if they've been rinsed. Change to "clean" underwear; currently worn pair gets rinsed. (They're Exofficio, so they dry overnight. Mostly,)

illabelle
07-13-2014, 09:53
So what do you wear for sleeping ? Particularly during the summer.
I bought a sleeping bag liner, mostly to keep the sleeping bag clean. 7 oz.
Also a pair of silk longies, top & bottom also 7 oz.
At home during fall, winter, spring, I wear longies and keep the thermostat at 67 or less, quilt etc.
during summer thermostat at 77 or so cotton socks and T shirt , cotton sheets
I can not sleep with out being covered by at least by a sheet.
On the trail I plan on using a pad with a stretch sheet and a a summer weight sewn through sleeping bag, used mostly unzipped
What are common overnight temps?
I also plan on bringing a folding bucket, 3 oz., to have a wash most evenings, I do not sleep as well if I feel grungy.
I'm thinking the 75 degree nights are too much for a summer bag.
Do I keep the sleeping bag liner? Or what ??

I sleep in a long-sleeved shirt and long johns for 3 reasons:
1. in cool temperatures, they help me stay warm
2. they keep my bag cleaner
3. they reduce the skin-to-skin stickiness after a day of hiking.

I dislike being grungy, but have learned that if I'm plenty tired, I don't have much trouble sleeping. OTOH, I don't do much hiking in summer temps.
Washing up gets complicated or less important if you're in a group, or in a shelter, or water's not readily available, or it's real cold, or if you're real tired - in other words, most of the time.

BuckeyeBill
07-13-2014, 15:33
I hammock camp so I use a pair of silk long johns year round with a winter or summer rated top quilt and a clean pair of ex official underwear. Add a clean pair of wool socks in the cooler temps.

imscotty
07-13-2014, 18:09
On a warm summer night, I wear as little as possible. A pair of underwear at the most. Of course at my age it isn't pretty, so I usually camp far away from civilized folk.

gbolt
07-13-2014, 19:08
I hammock camp so I use a pair of silk long johns year round with a winter or summer rated top quilt and a clean pair of ex official underwear. Add a clean pair of wool socks in the cooler temps.

+1 Patagonia Capiline Silk Top and Bottom long johns in the hammock with socks as needed. Still working to figure out top quilt. Used a silk liner which is great above 70* but chilled horribly the night is was low 60's. It wasn't a cold butt problem; no cold spots underneath. Need to figure out a summer top quilt.

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2014, 19:56
Boxers (micro poly) ... need a touch of dignity when making the one midnight ride...

daddytwosticks
07-14-2014, 07:09
Lightweight nylon wind pants and some sort of wicking tee shirt, usually long sleeve. :)

Nutbrown
07-14-2014, 08:12
Long sleeve shirt...silk in summer, merino in spring/fall. I forgot my merino long johns on my trip last week, so kept my hiking pants on. It was fine albeit smelly. But won't leave the long johns at home next time.