PDA

View Full Version : what's really important in life

rocketsocks
07-13-2014, 13:33
Many things we do alone, read a book, swing a baseball bat, drive a car, post online. But when were with our friends and loved ones, it's best to be with our friends and loved ones. Technology is great, but don't forget what's really important in life, cheers all. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R60iNnr4P0

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2014, 14:44
Darn - I thought you were going to post something dramatic like the virtues of cyber hiking on WB!:sun

likeahike
07-13-2014, 15:02
"what's really important in life" -brought to us via youtube. Ironic?

Ricky&Jack
07-13-2014, 15:22
"what's really important in life" -brought to us via youtube. Ironic?

Youtube is important.

It taught me how to Cook stir-fry chicken, play the harmonica, and also to remove/clean the carburetor on my motor scooter.

Plus, it has some really cute videos of cats.

DavidNH
07-13-2014, 18:08
great video!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-13-2014, 18:41
OK RS....got it. But don't forget about us completely please.

likeahike
07-13-2014, 19:39
point missed!

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2014, 19:54
He does this just a few days prior to a Sabbatical of a nature walk, (less postin)When you are this down to earth... The rest doesn't matter... it's all good.

Hey I got out there today,,, deep in the green woods... the solar panels worked and they were strapped to the backside of the pack...felt like 90 degrees - the dog ...well with all that hair... I quit early.

rocketsocks
07-13-2014, 19:55
point missed!
Nope, it was ironic, you were right, but I think everybody got it. I love technology, cyber hikin, postin...and all that jazz.
Just a reminder to also engage....In person. :)

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2014, 19:57
Yea we got to get out there again... you up for it? give me a call

rocketsocks
07-13-2014, 20:00
Youtube is important.

It taught me how to Cook stir-fry chicken, play the harmonica, and also to remove/clean the carburetor on my motor scooter.

Plus, it has some really cute videos of cats.and puppys:)

great video! My wife sent it to me :) I thought so to.

OK RS....got it. But don't forget about us completely please.
I'll never forget you guys, my RI Buds :)

He does this just a few days prior to a Sabbatical of a nature walk, (less postin)When you are this down to earth... The rest doesn't matter... it's all good.

Hey I got out there today,,, deep in the green woods... the solar panels worked and they were strapped to the backside of the pack...felt like 90 degrees - the dog ...well with all that hair... I quit early. I do need my sabbaticals every now and again, but this was just a public service announcement :)

Old Hiker
07-17-2014, 09:50
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

lemon b
07-17-2014, 10:58
Mother nature and family.

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 11:59
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
You forgot the Mwaaaaaaaahhhhhaaaahaahah, and gurgled death rattle. :D

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 12:01
Mother nature and family.
I too strive to find the balance between the internet and my time in the :suntoday's a good day in the N.East for an outing, beautiful out right now. See ya.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2014, 13:45
Strife and I were walking around town last week when we passed a car parked in a dark, wooded corner behind the Burger King. Given it's relative isolation and the appearance that the occupants were a teenage couple, I thought "uh oh, making out" and turned my gaze away to afford them what privacy I could (and to spare myself the visual). Since the path we were on however led us about 3 ft from the car, of course I got a glimpse of the passengers: a pair of teenagers, boy and girl, side by side in the front seat, each with heads down reading their phones.

Good Lord, what have we become when hormone-riddled kids no longer know what to do when alone in a car in an isolated spot?

moose717
07-17-2014, 14:08
Strife and I were walking around town last week when we passed a car parked in a dark, wooded corner behind the Burger King. Given it's relative isolation and the appearance that the occupants were a teenage couple, I thought "uh oh, making out" and turned my gaze away to afford them what privacy I could (and to spare myself the visual). Since the path we were on however led us about 3 ft from the car, of course I got a glimpse of the passengers: a pair of teenagers, boy and girl, side by side in the front seat, each with heads down reading their phones.

Good Lord, what have we become when hormone-riddled kids no longer know what to do when alone in a car in an isolated spot?

Too funny ^^ !!
I was on a cleanup hike a couple of months ago in Ramapo SF. We stopped about 1/2 way through at a pond to have some lunch. It was a beautiful day ... not a cloud in the sky about 70 degrees and you could see the fish jumping in the water. Three young kids hiked up and sat down in front of us at the waters edge. I happened to glance down at them and all three of them had their heads down tapping away on their phones. It was funny but kind of sad.

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 14:46

Good Lord, what have we become when hormone-riddled kids no longer know what to do when alone in a car in an isolated spot?Ha, that's funny, maybe they were doin a google search on..."My first Kiss"

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2014, 16:13
Ha, that's funny, maybe they were doin a google search on..."My first Kiss"

That would be TOO sad, RS. They're meant to learn by fumbling around like we had to!

(uh oh, opened a door there...let's see who walks through :))

Another Kevin
07-17-2014, 16:40
Ha, that's funny, maybe they were doin a google search on..."My first Kiss"

Better than doing one on 'Emergency Contraception', I suppose.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2014, 17:32

Au contraire....THAT would have been a good thing to do in the situation...Grampa!

Cookerhiker
07-17-2014, 18:08
What's really important in life? For a lot of hikers, the answer is bacon!

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 21:52
Oh I don't know...kick it off, I'll throw in a comment or two on that topic I'm sure. ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2014, 22:07
Back in my HS days (when dinosaurs walked the earth) we were taught all about "contraception" (oooh, ahhh) in our senior year. (Because of course NO ONE was having sex at 17 in Central New Jersey!)

Anyway, I'll never forget the low-budget film strip they showed us with a table arrayed with all manner of homemade contraception. My personal favorite - and no word of a lie here - was a Can of Coke and a roll of tin foil! How to crack-up your audience in one simple frame!

Now, what does this have to do with hiking? Well, let's think about that. In this day of easy contraception and necessary protection, what would the "eager" hiker do when there was no access to the myriad devices and drugs we've come to depend on?

Oh, and "turn on the cell phone" is not an answer!

rocketsocks
07-17-2014, 23:52
Back in my HS days (when dinosaurs walked the earth) we were taught all about "contraception" (oooh, ahhh) in our senior year. (Because of course NO ONE was having sex at 17 in Central New Jersey!)

Anyway, I'll never forget the low-budget film strip they showed us with a table arrayed with all manner of homemade contraception. My personal favorite - and no word of a lie here - was a Can of Coke and a roll of tin foil! How to crack-up your audience in one simple frame!

Now, what does this have to do with hiking? Well, let's think about that. In this day of easy contraception and necessary protection, what would the "eager" hiker do when there was no access to the myriad devices and drugs we've come to depend on?

Oh, and "turn on the cell phone" is not an answer!
The answer may bee found within ones food bag.

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2014, 08:30
I think technology is great, but like anything there are aspects of it that can lead to abuse ; it's the social media aspect of that really spins me up.

I do think one day we will move beyond what we're seeing nowadays in the social media world, but until then there will be a lot more stories like this one that had people wanting to black list some guy who actually wrote a good article. http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/07/scientific_americans_pc_police_dismisses_a_blogger .html

Remember, computers don't tar & feather people; people tar & feather people :D

rocketsocks
07-18-2014, 08:58
Remember, computers don't tar & feather people; people tar & feather people :D

+1

"It's just the internet" is a cop out BS excuse..."We the People" make up the internet.